CDZ If Kate Smith has to go due to singing songs, why doesn't Major League Baseball have to go?

Meh, not really Leo123, and that's from a sympathetic interested person in blackface. I think it's shameful that all the roles in the 1915 "Birth of a Nation", that were black roles of a controversial racial context, are performed by white men in black face, and then any "side roles" are performed by black people almost wondering onto the set.

I was talking about Amos and Andy and RW's depiction of it as a minstrel show. Nothing could be further from the truth. You are bringing up a different issue. Frankly I am not for any group including the NAACP to decide what we can see.
Yassa Boss, Yo sho is right

As you can tell from my Avatar, I am unfamiliar with the show

I know you are making a sly comment however anyone who thinks the Honeymooners is about 'wife beating' MUST be unfamiliar with the show....Despite your Art Carney/Ed Norton Avatar and all.

As you can tell from my Avatar, I am unfamiliar with the show

I know you are making a sly comment however anyone who thinks the Honeymooners is about 'wife beating' MUST be unfamiliar with the show....Despite your Art Carney/Ed Norton Avatar and all.
I said that is why some object to it

Alice could hold her own and Ralph was afraid of Alice

I was talking about Amos and Andy and RW's depiction of it as a minstrel show. Nothing could be further from the truth. You are bringing up a different issue. Frankly I am not for any group including the NAACP to decide what we can see.

ANOTHER funny face!!! So much winning today!

Again, you need to look into the history of the Amos and Andy Franchise. A&A were originally performed by two white guys on the radio,

Amos 'n' Andy - Wikipedia

Gosden and Correll were white actors familiar with minstreltraditions. They met in Durham, North Carolina,[5][6] in 1920. Both men had some scattered experience in radio, but it was not until 1925 that the two appeared on Chicago's WQJ.[7]

In 1930, RKO Radio Pictures brought Gosden and Correll to Hollywood to do an Amos 'n' Andy feature film, Check and Double Check (a catchphrase from the radio show). The cast included a mix of white and black performers (the latter including Duke Ellington and his orchestra) with Gosden and Correll playing Amos 'n' Andy in blackface.

So getting back to Kate Smith.. (remember her), what we have here is a case of erasing an artist. We are already seeing that being done with Michael Jackson, R. Kelly and Bill Cosby.
Kate never raped anyone

ANOTHER funny face!!! So much winning today!

Again, you need to look into the history of the Amos and Andy Franchise. A&A were originally performed by two white guys on the radio,

Gosden and Correll were white actors familiar with minstreltraditions. They met in Durham, North Carolina,[5][6] in 1920. Both men had some scattered experience in radio, but it was not until 1925 that the two appeared on Chicago's WQJ.[7]

In 1930, RKO Radio Pictures brought Gosden and Correll to Hollywood to do an Amos 'n' Andy feature film, Check and Double Check (a catchphrase from the radio show). The cast included a mix of white and black performers (the latter including Duke Ellington and his orchestra) with Gosden and Correll playing Amos 'n' Andy in blackface.
Yeah I know all the history but no actor on the t v show was white in black face. Why do you deny these great black actors the chance at syndication?

Yeah I know all the history but no actor on the t v show was white in black face. Why do you deny these great black actors the chance at syndication?

because their show was racist, and they are you know, dead...

Their families aren’t dead and the actors should be remembered. The actors certainly weren’t racist. Oh now I get it , you think that they were too stupid to know any better.

Their families aren’t dead and the actors should be remembered. The actors certainly weren’t racist. Oh now I get it , you think that they were too stupid to know any better.

Naw, I think that all these actors who played racist stereotypes knew exactly what they were doing.

They were cashing a check.

Like this guy.

Stepin Fetchit - Wikipedia

Of course they were cashing a check...just like every other actor then and now. I am having trouble trying to see why you seem to want to erase them from U.S. and television history. That in itself seems a bit smug if you ask me and, in a deeper sense, being sanguine with the erasure of all history that doesn't fit into the view of what some people don't want others to see or hear.

Of course they were cashing a check...just like every other actor then and now. I am having trouble trying to see why you seem to want to erase them from U.S. and television history. That in itself seems a bit smug if you ask me and, in a deeper sense, being sanguine with the erasure of all history that doesn't fit into the view of what some people don't want others to see or hear.

I've made my point about as clearly as I can. Their flaws greatly outweigh their virtues.

Hey, guess what, there's a whole bunch of old TV shows we can't see anymore... some of them they didn't even bother to preserve.
They represent a culture that intentionally kept African Americans into second class citizenship by design.

I've made my point about as clearly as I can. Their flaws greatly outweigh their virtues.

Hey, guess what, there's a whole bunch of old TV shows we can't see anymore... some of them they didn't even bother to preserve.
They represent a culture that intentionally kept African Americans into second class citizenship by design.

Yes you made your point which apparently is whatever you find 'flawed' has no 'virtue.' Amos & Andy wasn't some racist conspiracy. It was a comedy and pretty funny too.

Naw, I think that all these actors who played racist stereotypes knew exactly what they were doing.

Like this guy.

They were functioning in the society in which they lived
That society had specific views of blacks, women, minorities that we do not hold today

Condemn the society, not those who lived within it

Like this guy.

That society had specific views of blacks, women, minorities that we do not hold today

I condemn the NAACP for their censorship of what we can and can not see. The notion that Americans are so stupid as to NOT recognize that Amos & Andy includes exaggerations and caricatures, is just wrong. That is part of comedy.

Last edited:
Yes you made your point which apparently is whatever you find 'flawed' has no 'virtue.' Amos & Andy wasn't some racist conspiracy. It was a comedy and pretty funny too.

I'm sure it was funny to you. Most decent folks saw it as the Minstrel Show it was.

I don't think we should let them off that easy. They took money to help perpetuate that society.

I condemn the NAACP for their censorship of what we can and can not see. The notion that Americans are so stupid as to NOT recognize that Amos & Andy includes exaggerations and caricatures, is just wrong. That is part of comedy.

You think the NAACP has that kind of power? Really?

Here's why you won't see A&A on those down-scale TV networks that rerun old TV shows like MeTV. They don't want to be boycotted. It's just as cheap to run old Andy Griffith reruns.

You think the NAACP has that kind of power? Really?

Here's why you won't see A&A on those down-scale TV networks that rerun old TV shows like MeTV. They don't want to be boycotted. It's just as cheap to run old Andy Griffith reruns.

Read up Joe...

"the NAACP mounted a formal protest almost as soon as the television version began,[35][why?] and that pressure was considered a primary factor in the show's cancellation"

"On July 18, 1951, the president of the Spicer Furniture Company organization, a member of the NAACP’s executive board, sent letters to all of his stores ordering them to discontinue sponsorship of the series. The national office of the NAACP sent a letter to the Blatz Brewing Company, the series’ biggest sponsor, requesting their support of a boycott. The letter argued that Blatz would not support a similar series that distorted the image of Jews, Catholics, Irish, and other ethnic groups. The Milwaukee branch of the NAACP targeted WTMJ-TV and reached out to local bar and grill owners to support a boycott. Ironically, Milwaukee was the home of the Blatz Brewing Company. WTMJ-TV Milwaukee, cracking under the pressure, banned the series on July 27, 1951."

Reflections on Black Image in Amos ‘n’ Andy — Abernathy

Last edited:

Forum List

Back