If I were a Democrat, I would think Gingrich used dog whistle language

I liked Gingrich because of the way he would take the fight right to obaabaa's door. However, watching the sleazy, underhanded and vicious campaign that Romney is running, HE might be the best one to use those tactics on obaabaa!

Stop the democrat/marxist train, everything else can come later.

If he tries using the same bullshit on Obama, the Media will not only call him on it, they will imply he's a racist.

Which would seque nicely into all those "Racism in the Mormon Church" stories they just can't wait to run.

That little spiel of his was a biased and condescending thing to say about religion, and the part about antipathy toward people who aren't like them ... well that's the flip side of what Gingrich is being accused of.

That was Obama playing the race card way back then. Broadbrushing millions of us to his elite liberal coffee klatch.

The disdain he showed for us there, and which he has displayed since, was not the way to earn the respect of the people who he supposedly wanted to lead. But the hypocrite didn't expect that it would ever be heard by us bitter people in the heartland.

It took me a long time to start showing him any disrespect which came close to the way he has disrespected us.

But you go ahead and excuse the dog whistle speech on your side. I wouldn't expect anything else.

I'm not hearing "dog whistle" stuff there. I'm hearing him making a good point.

If people voted their own economic interests alone, a lot of people who vote REpublican wouldn't do so. Free trade works against them, they aren't really benefitting from tax cuts for the wealthy, disbanding of unions has driven down their wages.

Now, there are reasons why they vote Republican- Republicans stand up for gunowner's rights. They are more inclined to be harsh on criminals. They take the right stand on moral issues.

But here's where the Romney Republicans are self-defeating. The more they hollow out the middle class, the more dependent they make these folks on government, and eventually, these folks will start putting their checkbooks over their bibles.

That bitter clinger spiel was Obama the academic giving a non-PC sociological analysis without regard to how many people he was insulting.

And that's what Newt does.

It has high potential to offend us peons/statistics either way you slice it.

They're two insulting professorial peas in a pod.

Joe, Obama broadbrushed us as racist. It was the religion, the guns AND the antipathy comment. Did you actually listen to the clip this time around or are you just going by memory?

Joe, Obama broadbrushed us as racist. It was the religion, the guns AND the antipathy comment. Did you actually listen to the clip this time around or are you just going by memory?

I listened to it, and he hit it right on the nose.

Now, yes, it is a very condescending way to say it. So is what offends you is when smarter people condescendingly talk about you?

I think you need to learn to deal.

The biggest problem I see is that NEITHER party really looks out for the interest of the working class. They both put the interests of their big donors first. (Big business in the case of the GOP, big labor in the case of the Dems). And they find ways to push their buttons to get the votes to keep coming in.

You don't think the GOP has a history of playing "the race card".

Were you around during Reagan's discussion of "Welfare Queens"? Or when Bush used the "Willie Horton" ad in 1988? Or Jesse Helms using the "White Hands" ad against Harvey Gant? Sorry, the GOP has a sordid history of this sort of thing. And what has it gotten us? In 1984, Reagan was able to get 20% of the black vote. McCain, who has never really done anything like this, only got 4% of the black vote.

the GOP has used "Gun, God and gays" for a long time, but increasingly, that's becoming less effective. Now, I think that there is a way for the GOP to come back in the long run, and that's to get on the right side of working folks. Will they be smart enough to do it? Probably not. I do think Newt is more on track on this subject than Romney is.

I listened to it, and he hit it right on the nose.

Now, yes, it is a very condescending way to say it. So is what offends you is when smarter people condescendingly talk about you?

I think you need to learn to deal.

The biggest problem I see is that NEITHER party really looks out for the interest of the working class. They both put the interests of their big donors first. (Big business in the case of the GOP, big labor in the case of the Dems). And they find ways to push their buttons to get the votes to keep coming in.

You don't think the GOP has a history of playing "the race card".

Were you around during Reagan's discussion of "Welfare Queens"? Or when Bush used the "Willie Horton" ad in 1988? Or Jesse Helms using the "White Hands" ad against Harvey Gant? Sorry, the GOP has a sordid history of this sort of thing. And what has it gotten us? In 1984, Reagan was able to get 20% of the black vote. McCain, who has never really done anything like this, only got 4% of the black vote.

the GOP has used "Gun, God and gays" for a long time, but increasingly, that's becoming less effective. Now, I think that there is a way for the GOP to come back in the long run, and that's to get on the right side of working folks. Will they be smart enough to do it? Probably not. I do think Newt is more on track on this subject than Romney is.

LOL - Obama is not smarter than me. Of course, I'm biased. I think math requires greater intellect than law but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he might be equal in intelligence to me. ;)

The bottom line is that Obama has no more business stereotyping us that way than you have making assumptions about me.

In fact Obama has less business. You aren't running for a position of authority over me. Obama was running to be my president yet was showing disrespect for people he supposedly wanted to have support him as he did things which would change our lives.

The subject of this thread is imprudent, offensive language. Obama and Newt both use it. People can say, "but they're right," but that doesn't change the fact that it was offensive and imprudent.

That's pretty much it.

I can see how you would take offense at that. Some of it was particularly egregious.

I know the context for some of parts of it though and I know some of the offensive things which were said which provoked some of the comments. Like Obama's willingness to irresponsibly declare from the presidential dais and in the context of race that a white cop "acted stupidly" when Obama said himself that he didn't know the facts of the case.

Also, as a conservative who knows that no one short of Hitler is as bad as some liberals make us out to be, I am wiling to cut them more slack than some on the left would for many of their more ambiguous comments. (And yes some of those comments in the clip were ambiguous, and one was plain English which was given a racial interpretation.)

But I still cringe at many of the things in that video.

Political correctness has run amok and I understand people rebelling against it, but that is not an excuse for elected officials and those who seek election not to be careful and considerate when they talk.

LOL - Obama is not smarter than me. Of course, I'm biased. I think math requires greater intellect than law but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he might be equal in intelligence to me. ;)

The bottom line is that Obama has no more business stereotyping us that way than you have making assumptions about me.

In fact Obama has less business. You aren't running for a position of authority over me. Obama was running to be my president yet was showing disrespect for people he supposedly wanted to have support him as he did things which would change our lives.

The subject of this thread is imprudent, offensive language. Obama and Newt both use it. People can say, "but they're right," but that doesn't change the fact that it was offensive and imprudent.

That's pretty much it.

Sorry, the fact you are drinking the Romney Koolaid tells me you can't be all that bright.

Frankly, I'm tired of politicians who are using "nice" language. We are in a shitload of trouble, probably less than a generation from some serious stuff coming down. I'd rather have a guy who tells it like it is.

I can see how you would take offense at that. Some of it was particularly egregious.

I know the context for some of parts of it though and I know some of the offensive things which were said which provoked some of the comments. Like Obama's willingness to irresponsibly declare from the presidential dais and in the context of race that a white cop "acted stupidly" when Obama said himself that he didn't know the facts of the case.

Also, as a conservative who knows that no one short of Hitler is as bad as some liberals make us out to be, I am wiling to cut them more slack than some on the left would for many of their more ambiguous comments. (And yes some of those comments in the clip were ambiguous, and one was plain English which was given a racial interpretation.)

But I still cringe at many of the things in that video.

Political correctness has run amok and I understand people rebelling against it, but that is not an excuse for elected officials and those who seek election not to be careful and considerate when they talk.

Ummm, those cops did act stupidly. Sorry. This man was in his own home, being treated like a criminal, and because he lost his temper, they treated him like one.

This is guys who think that badges and guns are penis substitutes...

Frankly, this whining about "Food Stamp President" is exactly that. Whining. We have a record number of people on Food Stamps, both parties deserve a lot of the blame for it.

Romney will not repeal Obamacare.

That's all the analysis I need to dismiss him.

Romney could have beat Obama head to head alright...in the Democratic Party Primaries.

If you want a liberal leaning president...please, just vote for Obama and let the GOP nominate a Reagan conservative.

Last edited:
LOL. Thanks for the reminder. How many state ballots is Gingrich not going to be on?

Nevermind. I'm going to start a new thread with that question! :thup:

Last edited:
If I were a Democrat I would probably be one of those who thought Gingrich was racist or was at least using dog whistle language to try to excite some sort of visceral racial/"other" feeling in the Republican base.

Since I'm a Republican, I don't have as much of an urge to analyze him. I'd prefer not to have to think of him at all. I just don't care about Gingrich so long as he is not my party's candidate for president.

For a few days there after his South Carolina win, it looked like I was going to have to pay attention to Gingrich again. Enough attention to make a list of pros and cons about him to compare seriously to a list of pros and cons about Obama staying in office.

If Gingrich pulls out a Florida win, then I'll be back to having to think about that list.

In the end, Newt will probably win out on that list but (a) I don't think he can win the general election and (b) I can't defend his choice of language. His language is a huge turn off for me, easily as much of a turn off as Obama's divisive and condescending language is.

Obama's bitter clinger comment, taken in context, is no worse than the way Newt talks.

Sweetheart, you ARE a Democrat....:lmao: That's why Romney appeals to you. :lmao:

Newt kind of lost me, when he started the whole colonizing the MOON thing, by the end of his 2nd TERM!!! lol A little grandiosity, there?!?!?! I have seen it in him before, but even if he thought hecould pull that off, the timing of his pandering to the FL. audience was dumb, in this downtrodden economy.

I liked Romneys repsonse to it and the subsequent attention, he has given it. So, as of this post, and unless someone dynamic, enters the race, and even though Santorum impressed me that night, I have to give it to the original free healthcare for all, in MA, guy, and vote for him.

I will vote for whomever wins. It's actually me voting against Obama and hoping that Romney has listened to the people and what they care about and through his experience help restore prosperity to our country. He has also been a governor and balanced a budget and dealt with real crooked politicians, and less crooked politicians.

( Okay....you're a Blue Dog Dem? ) :lol: :lol: Just as long as you vote RED, you are "good to go, with me." ) ( I know how much that matters to you...:lol: )

:tongue:

*sticks out tongue at athena*

:lol:

catindark.jpg

Forum List

Back