Status
Not open for further replies.

Damaged Eagle

Behind blue eyes
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 28, 2015
I have hours, only lonely
images

...and science holds the answer to all questions....

Then what kick started the universe?

After all we wouldn't want to violate one of Newton's three laws now would we?

If the scientific answer at this time is we don't know...

Then doesn't that mean a miracle occurred?

*****CHUCKLE*****

:D

images

*****CHUCKLE*****

I can't PROVE it but I will just go along with Norman.

images

*****CHUCKLE*****

Well no. It doesn't mean that at all. I suppose it is possible, but no more likely than thousands of other guesses.

We should remember how our minds and our thinking are limited by our languages. This often leads to unsupportable assumptions and logic-loops.
Since we cannot explain some things, especially something so important as existence, we force nouns and terms to fit our fears. The universe must have had a start, yet there must have been a precedent.
What makes us insist on that? Since we know that we don't know, how can we ask the question, "what was before the beginning?", when the very question posits an oxymoron? There can be no "before the beginning". Yet, human thinking cannot tolerate, nor indeed digest, such a thought.
We need to let go more.
Or, we can just use 'God' as a metaphor to help us along until we grow into a fuller understanding.

The point about language is a good one.

If you tell people there was nothing before the big bang they assume 'you mean a vacuum of empty space'. And no it means there was not even empty space. There was literally nothing. It is very hard for the human mind to grasp such a concept.

There are many things we don't know yet, but one can't then argue 'the god of the gaps' in our knowledge. Meaning many people will assert 'well if we don't know then that mean it was god'. No, it means we don't know yet, just as we didn't know what caused disease 300 years ago.

We do know the universe is 13.7 billion years old and there are hundreds of billions of galaxies, each with hundreds of billions of stars.

To believe in any god, you have to believe it was all put in motion and allowed to continue on for 13.7 billion years to wait specifically for humans to arrive or be placed on the scene. And all those other galaxies, stars, and planets billions of light years away are just stage dressing so 13.7 billion years later we'd have something to look at.

That is quite a leap.

To which view of a monotheistic god Isaac Newton is said to have adhered, amusingly enough...

To which view of a monotheistic god Isaac Newton is said to have adhered, amusingly enough...

Doesn't matter, there are many 'scientists' that claim to follow a god. Its pretty damn odd these days but Newton didn't know about evolution.

Not to mention in recent history it was not healthy to challenge the church so most of a scientific bent did not in public, though they did privately.

It doesn't matter where knowledge comes from as long as it is factual. The 'creation museum' has been losing visitors by the droves because they present false science and the public is tired of it. Fact doesn't support children playing on dinosaurs in real life.

That there could be some presence in the universe humans could call 'spirit' is another possible metaphor. I have to admit I 'sense' 'something', but I truly hesitate to express much about it as I know I can't explain it.

images

*****CHUCKLE*****

This fails as an appeal to ignorance fallacy.

images

*****CHUCKLE*****

The answer is that we don't know, which only means that we don't know. If that is something some can't deal with, then "God did it" is as good as any other guess.

That science hasn't yet figured out everything doesn't point to a god.

That science hasn't yet figured out everything doesn't point to a god.
the science yet can not yet predict what the weather can be 6 days from now

Yet the man made global climate change cult thinks they can predict the weather 100 years from now.

All I know, no atheist in Fox holes and no one I ever heard of on their death bed say I pray to nothing for just one last breath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back