I gained some interesting insights today...

Mr. H.

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2009
A warm place with no memory.
I went to a funeral service for the father of a family who lived next door to us back in the 70's.
I hadn't seen any of them for 40 years but they were great neighbors and their four kids were close to my younger siblings. They now of course are grown and have kids of their own.

After hearing the eulogy given by my neighbor Jerry's brother (a retired pastor), it made me wish that I'd known the guy during all those years past.

His brother said that Jerry was by no means a religious person. His faith was his faith in life, and his communion was the coffees he shared with family and friends. I like that kind of pragmatism and I can identify with it. It's been my approach to "religion" and "faith" for a long time.

One other comment really struck a chord with me. The church's pastor (and I don't recall how he lead into it) made the comment that the last day of your life will be the best day of your life. I even approached him afterwards and thanked him for that comment. I think that's a great attitude. I don't care if I'm in bed dying of disease or old age, or plunging to my death in a packed airliner nose-diving from 40,000 ft. I'm going to fucking enjoy it. :thup: :beer:

I would rather wind up in the "home" drooling on myself and grinning for all the things I have done then to wind up in the "home" drooling and crying for all the things NOT done.

and who is brave enough to set their Spirit free before their body perishes - whining babies are the greatest fools on Earth, as afterwards they are the last to let go ...

Forum List

Back