If Ebola is so contagious why

Have so few people in Dallas come down with it?

If it's not contagious, then why are so many people in West Africa dying from it?
That's what I'm wondering. Bad hygiene in countries that often don't have running water? Has the virus mutated and become less virulent?

From my reading, the original outbreaks of Ebola were in isolated villages in which the people were certainly poor and the conditions unhygienic. The isolation enabled quarantining and prevented the spread of the disease. What has made the current outbreaks so much deadlier is that some have occurred in more urban, dense areas.

The case of the American doctor who survived is quiet interesting. He was given plenty of rehydration solution. Severe dehydration must have a negative impact on an Ebola patient's immune system. I suspect the first nurse is doing better from proper palliative care as well, and that any future successful treatment protocol will be a combination of an antiviral with hydration and nutrition supplements.

Last edited:

If it's not contagious, then why are so many people in West Africa dying from it?

It is not easily transmitted.
There are millions of people living in West Africa in very close quarters, especially in their cities.
A little of over 4,000 deaths is small compared to the millions who live there.
Most of the deaths is due to them being poorer countries and not having adequate care givers and hospitals that can deal with the disease.

I'm sure the 4,000 dead would appreciate your trivialization of their deaths.
Who said it isn't contagious? The point of the OP is that people should stop the hysteria and panic over Ebola.

Nigeria saw 20 cases of Ebola and is about to be declared Ebola free in a few days since they have had no new cases in 6 weeks. Lagos, the 5th most populated city on Earth with far less infrastructure and less sanitary conditions than those found in the US, managed not to have a widespread outbreak.

I have encountered ONE hysterical person. I do observe that many people are concerned about the political spin and incompetence coming out of the Obola Administration.
You must not be reading many of the threads on here.

I can't help it if loons such as yourself interpret concern regarding our government's lack of veracity and competency to be hysteria.
The amount of speculation alone about Ebola being airborne, without evidence, is flat out hysteria. All being driven by right wing nut jobs.

The CDC has defined "contact" as being 3 feet away from an Ebola patient. So clearly, there is a risk in proximity. But go ahead, continue to be an Obola shill.

I did not trivialize their deaths at all. I was putting it into context.

That's what I'm wondering. Bad hygiene in countries that often don't have running water? Has the virus mutated and become less virulent?

From my reading, the original outbreaks of Ebola were in isolated villages in which the people were certainly poor and the conditions unhygienic. The isolation enabled quarantining and prevented the spread of the disease. What has made the current outbreaks so much deadlier is that some have occurred in more urban, dense areas.

The case of the American doctor who survived is quiet interesting. He was given plenty of rehydration solution. Severe dehydration must have a negative impact on an Ebola patient's immune system. I suspect the first nurse is doing better from proper palliative care as well, and that any future successful treatment protocol will be a combination of an antiviral combined with hydration and nutrition supplements.
That's pretty much it and why Nigeria saw a lower death toll than the other countries. While Nigeria pales in comparison the United States, it is ahead of it's West African counterparts which enabled tham to manage their outbreak better.

Last edited:
No one Duncan lived with, rode with, or interacted with aside from two caregivers have become ill.

I know. I've been wondering how is family and the Marshall are. It's weird that there's no news about the family. They were in close contact for days when it was definitely contagious so they're either immune or there's something else at work. How did the nurse get it, but his family didn't?
Hospitals are notorious for spreading infection, sadly.

The case of the American doctor who survived is quiet interesting. He was given plenty of rehydration solution. Severe dehydration must have a negative impact on an Ebola patient's immune system. I suspect the first nurse is doing better from proper palliative care as well, and that any future successful treatment protocol will be a combination of an antiviral with hydration and nutrition supplements.
That could be it. Many people die of the flu because of dehydration.

That could be it. Many people die of the flu because of dehydration.

BINGO...although a hemorrhagic fever has a special nastiness as well.

If you are claiming to be frightened of Ebola and you are not taking precautions for you and your loved ones ( restricting travel, wearing gloves and masks, avoiding crowded places ) then you are either an idiot or you are full of shit and are interested only in ginning up fear in the lead up to an election.

Who said it isn't contagious? The point of the OP is that people should stop the hysteria and panic over Ebola.

Nigeria saw 20 cases of Ebola and is about to be declared Ebola free in a few days since they have had no new cases in 6 weeks. Lagos, the 5th most populated city on Earth with far less infrastructure and less sanitary conditions than those found in the US, managed not to have a widespread outbreak.

I have encountered ONE hysterical person. I do observe that many people are concerned about the political spin and incompetence coming out of the Obola Administration.

I can't help it if loons such as yourself interpret concern regarding our government's lack of veracity and competency to be hysteria.
Are you going to throw the same blame on the hospital in Dallas also? Since they sent Duncan home and then he returned...They also knew what they had, yet did not take proper steps in protecting the patient and the personnel involved..But yet you and many others that can't see the forest for the trees can only blame one person, a man that had nothing to do with handling the ebola case...

It's really quite simple. Ebola is only contagious after symptoms show up, and even then it's not as contagious until the disease is well under way. That is why only the nurses who took care of the patient on his deathbed got sick and those who lives with him at home did not.

It makes sense if you step back and examine the facts.

Are you going to throw the same blame on the hospital in Dallas also? Since they sent Duncan home and then he returned...They also knew what they had, yet did not take proper steps in protecting the patient and the personnel involved..But yet you and many others that can't see the forest for the trees can only blame one person, a man that had nothing to do with handling the ebola case...

Here's what I'm going to do: not bother to reply to the incoherent content of your post.

It's really quite simple. Ebola is only contagious after symptoms show up, and even then it's not as contagious until the disease is well under way. That is why only the nurses who took care of the patient on his deathbed got sick and those who lives with him at home did not.

He was sick enough that he was vomiting and had to be transported by ambulance.

And yet his family and the EMTs who transported him don't have it. The facts fit what we know about the virus and it's transmission.

And yet his family and the EMTs who transported him don't have it. The facts fit what we know about the virus and it's transmission.
Hoe so? Are you claiming his family wasn't exposed to vomit, feces, etc? I find that far fetched.

No one Duncan lived with, rode with, or interacted with aside from two caregivers have become ill.

I know. I've been wondering how is family and the Marshall are. It's weird that there's no news about the family. They were in close contact for days when it was definitely contagious so they're either immune or there's something else at work. How did the nurse get it, but his family didn't?

do we know they didnt get it

It is not easily transmitted.
There are millions of people living in West Africa in very close quarters, especially in their cities.
A little of over 4,000 deaths is small compared to the millions who live there.
Most of the deaths is due to them being poorer countries and not having adequate care givers and hospitals that can deal with the disease.

I'm sure the 4,000 dead would appreciate your trivialization of their deaths.

The amount of speculation alone about Ebola being airborne, without evidence, is flat out hysteria. All being driven by right wing nut jobs.

The CDC has defined "contact" as being 3 feet away from an Ebola patient. So clearly, there is a risk in proximity. But go ahead, continue to be an Obola shill.

who believes much of what the government says these days

is it still 3 ft away if the patient leaves bodily fluids on a toilet seat

door knob

or that five dollar bill you just took as change

Forum List

Back