If a person uses a link to a blog as a NEWS SOURCE is it valid?

Is a blog a proper news source?

• No, an opinion is not a news source

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • Yes, because they must know something in order to form their opinion

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • No, not when it is a serious issue that involves quite a bit of research

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, as long as it is something bad about the party I don't support

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lewdog

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2016
Williamsburg, KY
If someone starts a thread in Politics or another place on the forum, and they use a link to a blog, is that a valid link to proclaim it as a proper news source? Doesn't the forum require a news link in the OP related to the title and purpose of the thread?

If someone starts a thread in Politics or another place on the forum, and they use a link to a blog, is that a valid link to proclaim it as a proper news source? Doesn't the forum require a news link in the OP related to the title and purpose of the thread?
depends on whats inside the blog,,,

the burden has always been on the reader,,,,

I think the forum requirements vary by subforum. That said, I usually will google it if it is a sketchy source or the source is scant on particulars if it is something I am inclined to learn more about or disprove either one.

I think the forum requirements vary by subforum. That said, I usually will google it if it is a sketchy source or the source is scant on particulars if it is something I am inclined to learn more about or disprove either one.

I do pretty much the same thing. Especially in threads started by xxxxx xxxxx (Mind Wars). And, usually, if it's from one of those questionable sources, it's been spun quite a bit.

As far as considering an opinion as a news source? Granted, the person with the opinion may know quite a bit about the subject, but, because it is their opinion, it's going to be filtered through the bias of the writer. And, being filtered through a person's bias, some things that are important to the story might be left out of the opinion piece.

If it's a valid news source and it's not one that I've caught lying to me, then I generally trust it. And, there are political pundits out there who I trust quite a bit, because they always appear to have as much information as they can when they comment, and if they are proven wrong, they generally issue a correction.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is NO requirement for a link in every thread that is a lie.

I do pretty much the same thing. Especially in threads started by Blind Whore (Mind Wars). And, usually, if it's from one of those questionable sources, it's been spun quite a bit.

As far as considering an opinion as a news source? Granted, the person with the opinion may know quite a bit about the subject, but, because it is their opinion, it's going to be filtered through the bias of the writer. And, being filtered through a person's bias, some things that are important to the story might be left out of the opinion piece.

If it's a valid news source and it's not one that I've caught lying to me, then I generally trust it. And, there are political pundits out there who I trust quite a bit, because they always appear to have as much information as they can when they comment, and if they are proven wrong, they generally issue a correction.

It isn't always just the source though. With news aggregation replacing real journalism, sometimes I find myself having to reach around even established brand name national media outlets to get the 411 on stories. Local news, with all its warts, still is pretty decent about sticking to the who what whens

You can do a thread without any backup, or do a thread with blog that is not a valid backup.
It is just that you can't expect to convince anyone then.

A blog is not Associated Press or been at all certified or rated.
You can find a blog on just about anything, with the weirdest views one could imagine.
It might still be interesting, but not proof.

In Zone 2 the Mods have very often said that unless you provide a link to support your thread they will close it.

Kat WillHaftawaite flacaltenn Dont Taz Me Bro ?

In Zone 2 the Mods have very often said that unless you provide a link to support your thread they will close it.

I don't care there is no requirement that all threads have a link I posted one in Politics with out one and was told it was ok after Pogo tried to derail it.

and they use a link to a blog,

He's siting someones opinion.

Opinions don't always need a 'news source'.

So you know what thread brought this question to mind. Saying someone isn't an American citizen and is an illegal immigrant isn't really something you have an opinion about. It takes facts to prove, it isn't subjective, it is objective. There are specific rules in order to become a naturalized citizen.

The reason I tagged you was because the retired poster said that threads about subjects that are objective or real don't require a link.

So you know what thread brought this question to mind. Saying someone isn't an American citizen and is an illegal immigrant isn't really something you have an opinion about. It takes facts to prove, it isn't subjective, it is objective. There are specific rules in order to become a naturalized citizen.

The reason I tagged you was because the retired poster said that threads about subjects that are objective or real don't require a link.

So you know what thread brought this question to mind.

no idea

Saying someone isn't an American citizen and is an illegal immigrant isn't really something you have an opinion about.

why not?

no idea

Saying someone isn't an American citizen and is an illegal immigrant isn't really something you have an opinion about.

why not?

It takes facts in order to have an opinion on it. Omar was a naturalized citizen at 17. You can't just say you THINK she was a different person and lied about it. You need facts or some kind of source for that, not just something you pull out of thin air.

It's not like a discussion asking who you think the best and worst President is. Or say you think that the citizenship test and requirements should be changed.

It is a valid link, and it can be attacked in debate as an opinion and not a news source...but for purposes here, where a link is required it serves that purpose.

It would be a moderation nightmare if we had to determine what was or was not a proper news source. Plus opinion pieces can give interesting insights to stimulate discussion.

no idea

why not?

It takes facts in order to have an opinion on it. Omar was a naturalized citizen at 17. You can't just say you THINK she was a different person and lied about it. You need facts or some kind of source for that, not just something you pull out of thin air.

It's not like a discussion asking who you think the best and worst President is. Or say you think that the citizenship test and requirements should be changed.

It takes facts in order to have an opinion on it.

Since when?

no idea

why not?

It takes facts in order to have an opinion on it.

Since when?

Yes....read a few posts on this forum :lol:

Forum List

Back