Identical twins, one gay, one ain't

I've know one of them for a while, and met her identical twin sister only once. One had longer hair so that's the only way I could tell them apart. One is normal, married, one child. The other is gay, "domestic partner", and has a kid through artificial means.

Someone explain to me how this is possible, if homosexuality is a genetic trait.

I guess it could be a genetic trait that is activated by an environmental response. Identical twins are not identical from the moment they are born. They have different views of the world.

Just a guess.

How many SHARED FINGER PRINTS have you ever heard of? Good fucking lord you people are ignorant as HELL.

Previously addressed:

The fingerprints on each of my ten fingers are unique, yet none of them belong to a gay man. Your attempt at equivalence here is meaningless.

no, that really doesn't address the point unless you are a twin with identical fingerprints to your gay twin.

So, which is it? Are twins IDENTICAL or not? If you say yes, which is the premise of your OP assumption, then why dont' twins share identical fingerprints?

Post one states nothing more than an opinion formed in absence of scientific fact.
Listing of facts:
"[1]I've know one of them for a while, and met her identical twin sister only once. [2]One had longer hair so that's the only way I could tell them apart. [3]One is normal, [4]married, [5]one child. [6]The other is gay, "domestic partner", and [7]has a kid through artificial means."

Post one states nothing more than an opinion formed in absence of scientific fact.
Listing of facts:
"[1]I've know one of them for a while, and met her identical twin sister only once. [2]One had longer hair so that's the only way I could tell them apart. [3]One is normal, [4]married, [5]one child. [6]The other is gay, "domestic partner", and [7]has a kid through artificial means."

Your point? If this supports a false theory that identical twins are exact copies of each other you fail miserably. You do realize how many people have "twins" who are completely unrelated in the world ... right? You can't tell them apart except at the level of DNA or fingerprints. Even then, fingerprinting has proven to produce less than significant results lately, as they found that many people will have such close matches to others they are unreliable.

I've know one of them for a while, and met her identical twin sister only once. One had longer hair so that's the only way I could tell them apart. One is normal, married, one child. The other is gay, "domestic partner", and has a kid through artificial means.

Someone explain to me how this is possible, if homosexuality is a genetic trait.

There are numerous possibilities and/or explanations. Just because their genetics are identical, do all identical twins have identical personalities? Have there ever been identical twins where one has a type A personality and the other type B? I don't know the answer, but my guess would be yes. Assuming yes is the answer, how would you explain this? Just because their genetic makeup is exactly the same, it doesn't mean that other factors within the body could be different. For instance, one might be lacking in a certain enzyme/hormone that could be responsible for the conundrum.

Here's another more likely hypothesis; While I personally believe that the vast majority of homosexual tendencies and behavior are instinctive and completely natural to those individuals, I do believe that in certain circumstances, a small number of these people actually choose the lifestyle against their own natural insticts. Maybe the twin that is in the lesbian relationship made a consious choice to go against her natural sexuality due to outside influences.

Last edited:
Okay, you win. What's your point?:eusa_eh:
As stated.

How's the skiing in March?

Its been a good year this year. Its been snowing a lot in the mountains and sunny warm days when it isn't. Its been in 70s most of this week in Denver and snowing on the west side of the divide. Its totally gnar, er, whatever, dude!

Now back to the argument!

You state that homosexuality isn't genetic. Okay. You may be right. If so, what do you think should happen? What are the further reaching ramifications if your statement is correct?

OK professor glockmail, can you explain how you came to the conclusion that hormones are not a factor?
For the reasons previously stated Dr. Valerie. Do you have a specific comment on what I've already argued?

I've already made several comments showing twins with different tendencies and preferences. You said you wanted to stick to "science", so again, please explain how you came to the conclusion that hormones were not a factor? Because the girls LOOK alike?

Can you answer about the one who is a lefty? Or the one wants to play hockey and the other prefers figure skating? What about taste in food, taste in music, taste in LOVE?

And then there's the question, so what are you driving at here?

Is your predisposition to prove gays should be treated as second class citizens, genetic or not? :eusa_angel:

There are numerous possibilities and/or explanations. Just because their genetics are identical, do all identical twins have identical personalities? Have there ever been identical twins where one has a type A personality and the other type B? I don't know the answer, but my guess would be yes. Assuming yes is the answer, how would you explain this? Just because their genetic makeup is exactly the same, it doesn't mean that other factors within the body could be different. For instance, one might be lacking in a certain enzyme/hormone that could be responsible for the conundrum.

Here's another more likely hypothesis; While I personally believe that the vast majority of homosexual tendencies and behavior are instinctive and completely natural to those individuals, I do believe that in certain circumstances, a small number of these people actually choose the lifestyle against their own natural insticts. Maybe the twin that is in the lesbian relationship made a consious choice to go against her natural sexuality due to outside influences.
Based on their athletic careers (both Olympic medalists, one gold, one silver) I assure you that they are both "type A". I think its fairly obvious in this case that one chose her orientation, although I agree that you can never be 100% certain.

"Again, I'm going to limit my discussion of the scientific facts here, that in this case, the gay twin could not have been born that way."

Heh, or couldn't it be that the straight twin could not have been born that way?

Anyway, it's an interesting case because how very similar their genetics and formative environments were. It's a compelling piece of evidence for the theory that sexual orientation is or can be determined mainly through free will, independent of both nature and nurture.

It isn't exactly ironclad, though, since neither their genetics nor experiences were completely identical, not to mention that it's isolated and anecdotal. Interesting nonetheless; thanks for sharing it.

Forum List

Back