I need some ideas!!!

Luissa

Annoying Customer
Sep 7, 2008
TARDIS
So I have a fifteen month old boy who eats some normal adult food but is alittle picky especially when it comes to protien type foods. I was just wondering if anyone had any good recipes or ideas for toddler type foods. He likes chicken and string cheese and that is about it so far when it comes to protein. I really don't want him to become a picky eater when he is older!
Thanks!!

he most likely wont be a picky eater later in life if you are feeding him a good diet with a variety...but they will go thru stages where they will just eat this and that....options...he goes hungry till he eats whats in front of him...hard on mom...or you continue to give him a variety of food and let him select what he wants...when you said protein i take it...he wont do beef ...i mean what other proteins are you trying to give him...mac/cheese....liver?

Kids will go through really weird stages during toddlerhood. I had one boy who would eat nothing but hot dogs and cake for 24 months or more. Though finally, when I just quit feeding him those things he started experimenting more.

Be careful about forcing foods (I'm not saying you are) they aren't able to chew/digest. My daughter wanted red meat, including steak and burgers with the works, and chicken from 6 months on, and never choked. My youngest boy, no way, he wouldn't even put meat in his mouth. He couldn't even masticate fish, unless it was minced fish fishsticks. Halibut would just wad up in his mouth and he'd gag and spit it out, though he actually liked it.

We moved from town, and he probably lost 5 lbs in the first couple of months. No McDonald's, no quick trips to get easy processed food. He still wasn't into meat, but he definitely, after a couple of meals of "this is it and this is all there is, baby..." he was really into trying new veggies and soups and stuff.

He didn't start eating meat regularly until he was 4. He loved peanut butter (no peanut allergies in my family so far, knock on wood), likes eggs. We started out with hamburgers and he went absolutely nuts on burger for a while.

Now he can eat anything.

what does your pediatrician say.....

hmmmmmm protein at 15 months....my kids ate those disgusting babyfood meat sticks by the truck load .... use to have to nuke em and peel em.....then they went mac and cheese and egg crazy.....slowly worked ham and bacon into the eggs.....

I'm probably not the best example, I was a very 'hyper', overly worried mom. But now that my kids are in their 20's, I pretty much recognize what I did right, :) and wrong, :( . Too late, with wisdom.

None of mine had anything but nursing until over a year. The oldest, 15 months, when my mother couldn't stand it anymore and gave her a peanut butter sandwich while she was babysitting! :eek:

After that trauma, I was really health conscious and had plenty of $$ to indulge. So we'd go to the grocery, farmer's markets, health food store, with me picking up things and saying, "Does this look good?" or "which of these should we bring home for dinner?"

Samples of course helped too, as she nearly always wanted me to buy what she liked in the store. (My two boys were the same, there's something about taking them to the store and telling them, "vegetables, fruits, yogurt, meat, crackers, too expensive", that gets them 'involved' or 'invested' in what they 'helped' pick out.)

15 months is pretty young, but by 2 you can put him in a booster seat and have him tear lettuce for salad. I do think choice has a lot to do with their eating, protein is the problem, so offer a bit of chicken or an egg. If he likes vegetables for the most part, make a stew, being sure to shred his beef or chicken into bits. Another 'trick' I used when they were small is to ask which dessert we should make. Then ask which meat we should have, that would go best with dessert.

Like I said, I was pretty over-the-top when they were young. The first time my daughter had a chocolate chip cookie out of the house, she was confused, too sweet! I only used carob and honey and was very light handed with both.

Good news, my kids will eat nearly anything, (though the boys are still fish adverse, they will eat sushi. :gag:) My daughter? Sushi and anything which won't fight back!

My kids went through a picky phase as well. The pediatrician always reassured me that this was normal and that I shouldn't worry too much. Easier said than done.

Toddlers are active and usually find that eating is not that fun compared to what they could really be doing.

My kids liked macaroni & cheese with broccoli, peanut butter sandwiches, chicken noodle soup, yogurt, and rice pudding. All these foods have protein in them. I also used to put out of tray of an assortment of things like bits of cheese, apples, bananas, cheese crackers, cheerios. They also liked a shake that I still make with milk, bananas, and a dollop of peanut butter.

There are no hard and fast rules with kids. Make mealtime fun and don't stress too much. If kids get hungry they will eat. Many kids like my little boy will graze. He will literally eat every half hour.

Keep offering him new foods, eventually he will take to some of them. Good Luck!

Grilled kilbosa with peppers and onions on a hogie roll, washed down with couple beers usually works for me.

Try that.

I'll bet he likes it.

Lol. My oldest boy LOVED onions and dill pickles from the get go.

My daughter loves lemons (I did too).

I'm probably not the best example, I was a very 'hyper', overly worried mom. But now that my kids are in their 20's, I pretty much recognize what I did right, :) and wrong, :( . Too late, with wisdom.

None of mine had anything but nursing until over a year. The oldest, 15 months, when my mother couldn't stand it anymore and gave her a peanut butter sandwich while she was babysitting! :eek:

After that trauma, I was really health conscious and had plenty of $$ to indulge. So we'd go to the grocery, farmer's markets, health food store, with me picking up things and saying, "Does this look good?" or "which of these should we bring home for dinner?"

Samples of course helped too, as she nearly always wanted me to buy what she liked in the store. (My two boys were the same, there's something about taking them to the store and telling them, "vegetables, fruits, yogurt, meat, crackers, too expensive", that gets them 'involved' or 'invested' in what they 'helped' pick out.)

15 months is pretty young, but by 2 you can put him in a booster seat and have him tear lettuce for salad. I do think choice has a lot to do with their eating, protein is the problem, so offer a bit of chicken or an egg. If he likes vegetables for the most part, make a stew, being sure to shred his beef or chicken into bits. Another 'trick' I used when they were small is to ask which dessert we should make. Then ask which meat we should have, that would go best with dessert.

Like I said, I was pretty over-the-top when they were young. The first time my daughter had a chocolate chip cookie out of the house, she was confused, too sweet! I only used carob and honey and was very light handed with both.

Good news, my kids will eat nearly anything, (though the boys are still fish adverse, they will eat sushi. :gag:) My daughter? Sushi and anything which won't fight back!

Go Mom! :badgrin:

Ack! Go Mom? :redface:

Go Mom! :badgrin:

Ack! Go Mom? :redface:
I know this will shock, but I was a very compulsive mom for about 8 years. Then I calmed down.

Want to know freaking? Find a video of me at a park, with 3 kids 6-2 years. Talk about hyper! :eek: Embarrassing, for certain.

Let's just say that at 5, my oldest, my daughter, asked Santa for a book and every type of Campbell's soup, other than tomato, which she didn't like. :rolleyes: It's amazing the kids are as normal as they are.

Have you ever *tasted* a carob chip, just by itself? YUCKO! :D

At the time, thought they were the second coming. Oh how I baked with them.

Then switched to 'natural in very light moderation.' LOL!

LOL. Carob chips ought to be listed as a form of cruel and unusual punishment...

Umm, I'll agree, now. Seriously, got to wonder at how my kids still love me. :eusa_angel:

My kids went through a picky phase as well. The pediatrician always reassured me that this was normal and that I shouldn't worry too much. Easier said than done.

Toddlers are active and usually find that eating is not that fun compared to what they could really be doing.

My kids liked macaroni & cheese with broccoli, peanut butter sandwiches, chicken noodle soup, yogurt, and rice pudding. All these foods have protein in them. I also used to put out of tray of an assortment of things like bits of cheese, apples, bananas, cheese crackers, cheerios. They also liked a shake that I still make with milk, bananas, and a dollop of peanut butter.

There are no hard and fast rules with kids. Make mealtime fun and don't stress too much. If kids get hungry they will eat. Many kids like my little boy will graze. He will literally eat every half hour.

Keep offering him new foods, eventually he will take to some of them. Good Luck!
My problem is he is so small, not skinny just small and it worries me! I am sure I am feeding him enough he just is very short for his age. He must get it from his dad whop is not short now,because I was always very tall!
I did get some ideas, I don't know about liver but I should try it. He hates the meat sticks but I don't blame him they are nasty, I paid my friend to eat one!
I will just have to try somethings!

LOL. Carob chips ought to be listed as a form of cruel and unusual punishment...

what is a carob chip? Never heard of it in my life!

Forum List

Back