I wouldn't want this dude's pizza either

This story reminds me of the time we were in Phoenix with a group that suggested eating at a mexican restaurant behind Chase Field, where the D-backs play. We get there and one of our group said they'd heard of the place because President Bush had gone there when in Phoenix after a game. Sure enough, there were pictures on the wall with the owner shaking hands with Dubya. Well...I hit the ceiling...yelled "BOYCOTT" and dragged everyone out of there......No...not really. We ate there with nary a squeak....tho I admit the food wasn't all that great.

Maybe next time, I'll behave like the OP....and make a total fool of myself.

you don't need to go out of your way to make a total fool of yourself.

father mccarthy says hi

Meh...no points for that one, Del....I literally tee'd it up for you.

This story reminds me of the time we were in Phoenix with a group that suggested eating at a mexican restaurant behind Chase Field, where the D-backs play. We get there and one of our group said they'd heard of the place because President Bush had gone there when in Phoenix after a game. Sure enough, there were pictures on the wall with the owner shaking hands with Dubya. Well...I hit the ceiling...yelled "BOYCOTT" and dragged everyone out of there......No...not really. We ate there with nary a squeak....tho I admit the food wasn't all that great.

Maybe next time, I'll behave like the OP....and make a total fool of myself.

you don't need to go out of your way to make a total fool of yourself.

father mccarthy says hi

Meh...no points for that one, Del....I literally tee'd it up for you.

tell it to the hierarchy, skipper

Sometimes you guys baffle me.

Are you really such a partisan nutcase that you would base where you buy pizza on whether or not the owner hugged Obama?

Yes. I wouldn't spend a dime in any business that I know is run by Democrats. I'll never buy Progressive insurance for that reason or buy a car from General Motors or Chrysler.

I don't either. It's not really punitive. It's simply that I wouldn't truly enjoy that slice of pizza or the performance of some actor if I was sitting there knowing that it comes from a person who wants to limit my economic freedom. Funny, but looking at someone who wants to put my children's heads in the yoke of neverending debt and servitude simply makes me lose my appetite.

Are you really such a partisan nutcase that you would base where you buy pizza on whether or not the owner hugged Obama?

Yes. I wouldn't spend a dime in any business that I know is run by Democrats. I'll never buy Progressive insurance for that reason or buy a car from General Motors or Chrysler.

I don't either. It's not really punitive. It's simply that I wouldn't truly enjoy that slice of pizza or the performance of some actor if I was sitting there knowing that it comes from a person who wants to limit my economic freedom. Funny, but looking at someone who wants to put my children's heads in the yoke of neverending debt and servitude simply makes me lose my appetite.

:rolleyes:

If you don't want that shit thrown in your faces, stop throwing it around.

Seriously, I've been watching politics for 30 years, and I've never seen the kind of hate that is directed towards this guy... ever.

And yes, 90% of it is racism...

SERIOUSLY...we saw RAW HATE all during the Bush years..so you people can stop blowing smoke up our asses...Obama is no different because of his SKIN COLOR..he suck as a President...DEAL WITH IT

I don't know what you were looking at? Frankly, what I saw was that if Democrats criticized Bush, people questioned their patriotism. How dare you criticize our president when he's fighting a war. The Democrats didn't even grow a pair of balls until Katrina.

Interesting what you saw, I saw it much differently.

Anybody who is celebrating Obama, doesn't need or want my business.

Seeing as how you live a few thousand miles away, he probably doesn't "need" your business. But do you really take pride in being so petty?

compared to the people that went after Chic Fill A for an opinion?

rhetorical question?

but they'll buy food from a company whose owner says he doesn't want to do business with 10% of the population.

i think the technical term for that is... imbeciles.

but i look forward to them talking about morality... because they have such a high ground.

Scott Van Duzer, the Obama hugger: Shop facing boycott - Kevin Cirilli - POLITICO.com

The owner of a Florida pizza shop says people are boycotting his business because he bear-hugged President Barack Obama on Sunday.

“People are saying a lot of bad things and boycotting my restaurant,” Scott Van Duzer, 46, told POLITICO. “There’s no middle line anymore, and that’s exactly what’s wrong with our country right now.”

The owner of Big Apple Pizza & Pasta Restaurant in Fort Pierce, Fla., said that both Democrats and Republicans are welcome in his store. But he also said he thinks Mitt Romney’s running mate Rep. Paul Ryan — whose sculpted abs are thanks to intense P90X training sessions — would lose to the president in a workout battle.

“I think Obama could take him,” Van Duzer said, laughing. “Obama looked pretty fast and pretty quick on his feet.”

So is Van Duzer. For a guy who biked 1,148 miles in 31 days from Florida to Washington D.C., lifting Obama was a piece of cake — err, a slice of pizza. And Van Duzer says he wasn’t even warmed up.

“I don’t work out that much, man. Usually, it’s about two days per week. The bike ride was my big thing,” Van Duzer said. “I’m starting to go back to the gym right now. I need to start maintaining.”

Van Duzer’s June bike-trek was part of his Van Duzer Foundation, and helped raise awareness for blood donation shortages. Founded in 2008 to support a local firefighter whose house burned down, the foundation has since raised more than $600,000, Van Duzer said. Van Duzer said he rode with a few kids from the Boys and Girls Club and met with U.S. Surgeon General Regina M. Benjamin to discuss blood shortages.

Obama told The New York Times that Van Duzer’s effort in promoting blood donations was part of the reason the campaign decided to visit his pizza shop.

“One of the reasons that we wanted to stop by is that Scott has been doing unbelievable work out of this pizza shop in promoting the importance of donating blood,” Obama told the Times. “And so he has set some records here in Florida. He has received commendations from the White House, the surgeon general, he has galvanized and mobilized the local community and he’s educating kids and folks all across the country on this issue.”

Inside the shop Sunday, Obama wanted to know how to look like Van Duzer.

“Everybody look at these guns,” Obama said. “If I eat your pizza, will I look like that?”

(Also on POLITICO: Fit for office: 2012 candidates in the best shape ever)

Van Duzer told POLITICO that he packs on protein with his homemade pepperoni pizza. And the 6-foot-3-inch, 260-pound Van Duzer says he bench presses 350 pounds at six reps, usually twice a week — nearly double the estimated 176 pounds that Obama weighs.

“When I was in peak condition, I lifted five times a week,” he said. “But that was before my injury.”

He tore his Achilles tendon during an “intense” charity dodgeball game. Mainly, he says his active, energetic lifestyle keeps him fit.

“I move around a lot,” he said.

Read more: Scott Van Duzer, the Obama hugger: Shop facing boycott - Kevin Cirilli - POLITICO.com

:lmao: he makes a political gesture during a very divided campaign and is shocked at the reactions.

He should follow GMs lead and offer his product for half price...........

rhetorical question?

but they'll buy food from a company whose owner says he doesn't want to do business with 10% of the population.

i think the technical term for that is... imbeciles.

but i look forward to them talking about morality... because they have such a high ground.

If you're referring to Chik-fil-A, that's simply not true. There is no company policy which discriminates against anyone, not employees and not customers.

This guy is helping people and he gets this crappola treatment from the rabid right. I think one of the reasons he hugged Obama is that Obama was helping bring awareness to his blood drive cause!

Van Duzer founded the Van Duzer foundation in 2008, aiming to raise awareness about blood donation shortages. That effort is partly why Obama chose to visit the eatery (via POLITICO): =D>@};-

“One of the reasons that we wanted to stop by is that Scott has been doing unbelievable work out of this pizza shop in promoting the importance of donating blood,” Obama told the Times. “And so he has set some records here in Florida. He has received commendations from the White House, the surgeon general, he has galvanized and mobilized the local community and he’s educating kids and folks all across the country on this issue.”

“People are saying a lot of bad things and boycotting my restaurant,” Van Duzer told POLITICO. “There’s no middle line anymore, and that’s exactly what’s wrong with our country right now.”

In one of his interviews (he's done about 40-50 radio and talk shows in NY):

Were you planning to give him such a big welcome when he got there?
Not at all. That’s the funniest thing, too. Everyone thinks it was scripted. Everyone thinks I asked the Secret Service. I didn’t ask the Secret Service anything. I didn’t know what I was going to do. You know what I mean? He just came in, and the way he came in was so genuine and warm. He came over to me like he had known me for 25 years. He said, “Where’s Scott?” He opened the door and I was standing right there. He gave me a big high five, and started talking about my biceps and muscles. He said, “If I eat your pizza, can I get some muscles like that?” We were just fooling around. He gave me this pat on the shoulder, and that’s when the big hug happened.

Last edited:
Over a fucking hug...

AMAZING how partisan people can be, fucking shit heads.

I still eat at Chick-fil-a, I also like Oreo's, I guess that makes a "maverick"... This man probably works just as hard as any of us, yet he has a political ideology that differs and the wingnuts shit their pants over it.

In addition, nobody knows how far right or left this guys is... For all we know, he just likes the president, but disagrees with him on many issues.

And his charity work is something that is important, I have a rare blood type (AB-), his advocacy may one day save my life.

Once again... Fucking shit heads.

It actually isn't over a hug. The local backlash (I can't speak about the Yelp trolls) is over this guy inserting himself into the Obama campaign as a prop and lying to his customers. The hug was staged but described as impromptu. The visit to the Ft. Pierce restaurant was said to be a surprise to the owner (who claimed he didn't know Obama was coming) but he told everyone at the gym differently, and then he claimed to be a Republican that supports Obama which is false. He is registered to vote as a Republican because most local races have been decided in the Republican Primary. It's a common practice. Conservatives were registered Democrats and voted Republican in every national race in this area 30 years ago.

His small town customer base knows he's a lefty and the ones on the right are showing their displeasure with him lying to assist an agenda they think is harming their business and economic interests.

Anybody who is celebrating Obama, doesn't need or want my business.

Seeing as how you live a few thousand miles away, he probably doesn't "need" your business. But do you really take pride in being so petty?

compared to the people that went after Chic Fill A for an opinion?

People didn't go after Chick-Fil-A for "having an opinion", they went after Chick-Fil-A for backing their "opinion" with millions of dollars donated to anti-gay marriage organizations.

That's besides the point anyway. I thought the Chik-Fil-A boycott was stupid too.

Forum List

Back