I support Public education

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
I support Public education as we are far better off with a educated population then something like India or worse yet Africa that allows its poor to live in slums. Education should be given to all. One could argue that we need reforms to boost up the standards of it, but one should never argue that what Trumps educational sectary wishes for is anything besides short sighted and asking for the destruction of our countries standards of living.

Am I against Charters and the choice of going to anything besides public school? No, I believe that one should be free to do as they wish...But, most poor and even some lower end middle class need our public educational system to assure a basic education for all of our children.

When even very poor countries attempt to educate their children in Africa, asia and throughout the world we can't even imagine the idea of accepting a lower standard for our country.

Literacy rate is actually higher in India and many african countries such as Libya Kenya South Africa Ethiopia etc. than in the USA its actually lower than Syria.

The USA is the only developed nation that does not accurately measure its literacy rates. Prisoners for example are over 70% illiterate and the USA doesn't count them despite having the largest prison population in the world (1/4th of all prisoners are in the USA). Other reasons include homeschooling, which the USA doesn't measure despite a large percentage of homsechoolers not being able to read by the time theyre adults.

Literacy rate is actually higher in India and many african countries such as Libya Kenya South Africa Ethiopia etc. than in the USA its actually lower than Syria.

The USA is the only developed nation that does not accurately measure its literacy rates. Prisoners for example are over 70% illiterate and the USA doesn't count them despite having the largest prison population in the world (1/4th of all prisoners are in the USA). Other reasons include homeschooling, which the USA doesn't measure despite a large percentage of homsechoolers not being able to read by the time theyre adults.

:cuckoo:

having trouble reading that buddy? too many big words?

I support Public education as we are far better off with a educated population then something like India or worse yet Africa that allows its poor to live in slums. Education should be given to all. One could argue that we need reforms to boost up the standards of it, but one should never argue that what Trumps educational sectary wishes for is anything besides short sighted and asking for the destruction of our countries standards of living.

Am I against Charters and the choice of going to anything besides public school? No, I believe that one should be free to do as they wish...But, most poor and even some lower end middle class need our public educational system to assure a basic education for all of our children.

When even very poor countries attempt to educate their children in Africa, asia and throughout the world we can't even imagine the idea of accepting a lower standard for our country.

Teaching to the mean student level doesn't work. So what we are seeing is divisions of schools based on student ability and parental involvement. No one is suggesting kids be removed from education as you suggest. Charter schools work deal with it. Oh, and its country's, not countries Mr. Education.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

is that a bible passage?

is that a bible passage?

Ah, you make a fine illiterate.

I have merely given you a fact-based reference equal to your own.

is that a bible passage?

Ah, you make a fine illiterate.

I have merely given you a fact-based reference equal to your own.
I dont think you know what the word "fact" means

Business Visa falsehoods.
And you wonder why Blacks are unemployed when they advocate for those who come here and take their jobs and careers.

I support Public education as we are far better off with a educated population

And when it fails to give us an educated population?????

Sure, only an educated population would elect Trump........mwhahahahaha!!

Oh man! I haven't read those verses in 40 years!

Charters are public school. Teachers and unions are the problem...and parents...and administrators...and politicians...and school boards.....

The problem is the students that are being sent to be educated, They have no work ethic, no sense of personal responsibility for their education and are woefully immature. That is why they fail to learn.

Well in MI the for profit schools which receive fed and state funding, do not fair any better than public and also they are free of accountability. It costs MI taxpayers 1 billion a year for these private schools

Well in MI the for profit schools which receive fed and state funding, do not fair any better than public and also they are free of accountability. It costs MI taxpayers 1 billion a year for these private schools

It costs MI taxpayers 1 billion a year for these private schools

MI parents freely choosing to spend tax dollars on the schools of their choice?
Outrageous!!!

Outrageous!!!
Michigan spends $1B on charter schools but fails to hold them accountable

Outrageous!!!
Michigan spends $1B on charter schools but fails to hold them accountable

Yeah, too much freedom, eh?
How much do they spend on Detroit schools?
How accountable?

Repeal and replace!

Few industrialized nations spend more on education than we do, yet we don't even make the top 10 in results. Public education has its place - but the system is outdated. We need a longer school day, a longer school year - plus a broad spectrum approach to school choice - vouchers, charters, virtual classrooms - an all of the above.

Do away with public sector unions. As a member of a teachers union for 25+ years I can assure all that the focus was not on educating children. If the government itself cannot be trusted to be a fair employer and provide a safe work environment - then what can they be trusted to do?....a rant for another day. :biggrin:

Forum List

Back