I need some new ideas for grilling/smoking

When it comes to BBQing we have a family favorite but it's not for the amateur griller because it's not only a bit labor intensive but really takes years of dedicated experience to master the entire technique. However, everyone's gotta start somewhere, sometime and believe you me it's worth a few years worth of just average tasting results while you're honing a skill you'll be able to pass down to any family member or friend willing to put in the time you did to achieve such absolute mastery of the BBQing experience.

As you might imagine the fire is the main key to success; you've got to have a good one going. Whether you use charcoal right out of the bag or take the time to make you own is your decision, or you can substitute plain old wood if you like and that of course leaves you a wide variety from which to choose. Apple wood is one of our favorites but that's just us. Be yourself, be creative if you go the wood route and experimenting here could turn out to be your best friend in the long run.

Also, for this recipe beer is a key ingredient. You should have plenty of it on hand throughout the entire BBQing process and I can't emphasize enough to not be stingy with it. The more you use the better the dining experience will be for all. I guarantee it!

Once your fire is ready it's time to get the show on the road and introduce the main meat course to the hot grill. Place your 100% real hot dogs, no friggin' turkey, veggie, or some synthetic crap substitues, on the grill and open another can of beer while the dogs cook to perfection, or maybe get chared to hell if you get too busy with the beers, but that too can be a plus as some folks like them that way. And you can always throw more on if you've overdone the first batch and that also allows you time to have another beer or two to help combat the effects of the nearby hot fire as well as enhance the overall dining experience.

Good luck and enjoy!

I have been using the new Webber I bought 3 to 4 days a week and I'm growing tired of the same things. Up to this point I've been doing smoked chicken, smoked filet, burgers, wings & onion soup potatoes. Occasionally ribs but I'm terrible with them on this grill.

I need some variety people!

Get some thick pork chops. Put them on the hottest part of the grill for a minute or so on each side, then move to a lower temp area to cook. If you have time to brine soak them they are even better.

Get a really big onion (I love Vidalia season). Peel away the outside layer and slice into slabs about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Crush a garlic clove on a plate, then pour olive oil on that and add seasonings (I stick with salt & pepper). Coat each slab in the oil mixture and grill. Delicious!

Get a wire mesh grill basket (the low wide ones are best). Slice zucchini, brush with olive oil and season. Grill them on a meduim heat section of the grill.

I have been using the new Webber I bought 3 to 4 days a week and I'm growing tired of the same things. Up to this point I've been doing smoked chicken, smoked filet, burgers, wings & onion soup potatoes. Occasionally ribs but I'm terrible with them on this grill.

we just did up a nice batch of freshly caught walleye yum yum

Get on this guy's mailing list. He sends out a new recipe idea every week.

Smoking Meat - The Complete How to Smoke Meat Guide

I don't understand anything about smoking but like it was mentioned above, have you thought to smoke salmon?

It's delicious!

edit to add

Grilled vegetables are amazing also!!

Smoking salmon on a Weber takes some skill......
Very true. I have yet to master the temperature control. Even just a few charcoals & some wood runs my temp through the roof.

You should really spring for a water smoker if you want to smoke.
It's the closest you'll get to true BBQ.
And you can pick up a decent one for sixty bucks.
I love my stick burner. I still have a relatively cheap one, but I've done some mods that give me good results.

Brat using Apple wood.
Baby back Ribs using Mesquite.
Tri Tip using Mesquite.

Put a rub on the ribs and tri tip the night before. Smoke at 220 for about 4 hours.

I don't understand anything about smoking but like it was mentioned above, have you thought to smoke salmon?

It's delicious!

edit to add

Very true. I have yet to master the temperature control. Even just a few charcoals & some wood runs my temp through the roof.

I love my stick burner. I still have a relatively cheap one, but I've done some mods that give me good results.

Myself..i've had my Pitts and Spitts for over twenty years.
Thinking about upgrading to one of the new reverse flow pits.

It's delicious!

edit to add

I like the diversion plate that brings smoke and heat up from the entire bottom of the smoker.

I like the diversion plate that brings smoke and heat up from the entire bottom of the smoker.

I'm using the adjustable plates in the Pitts & Spitts,but after seeing how even the heat is in the reverse flow I want one.

Atomic Buffalo Turds

Today I bought a 1lb KC Strip, an 8oz fillet & some chicken. Any suggestions for those? Tonight is grilled chicken & red potatoes

Best advice is low and slow

Make your own rubs and BBQ sauce

Butterflied Leg of Lamb (from the Silver Palate Cookbook). This is a fabulous recipe. I've also used it for lamb kabobs.

Ingredients
1 cup red wine
1/2-3/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp rosemary leaves, crushed
1 tbsp fresh black pepper
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 half leg of lamb, butterflied

How to prepare
(1) mix together all of the ingredients except the lamb place the lamb in a bowl or pan that will not be corroded by the marinade (a glass 9×13 pan works well)
(2) pour most of the marinade over the lamb swish the lamb around and get it soaked on both sides cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least several hours, turning occasionally
(3) start a fire in the grill and get the coals very warm but not flaming place lamb on grill 3-4″ from the coals cook on this side for 20 minutes, basting with the extra marinade occasion- ally turn the meat over and cook another 20 minutes
(4) after 10 minutes on the second side, start checking for doneness contrary to many people’s ideas, lamb should not be well done but should still be a little pink when done, slice thin and serve (serves 4-6).

Today I bought a 1lb KC Strip, an 8oz fillet & some chicken. Any suggestions for those? Tonight is grilled chicken & red potatoes

Make a marinade of Soy Sauce, some sugar, minced garlic and some tobasco sauce for the chicken. VVGood.

When it comes to steak i'm pretty much in the camp of salt and pepper and finishing em with butter or truffle butter. On occasion i'll throw a sprig of thyme in the pan with the butter if i'm pan searing after sous vide.

I'm having a lot of fun messing with sous vide cooking method,you should give it a shot.

When it comes to steak i'm pretty much in the camp of salt and pepper and finishing em with butter or truffle butter. On occasion i'll throw a sprig of thyme in the pan with the butter if i'm pan searing after sous vide.

I'm having a lot of fun messing with sous vide cooking method,you should give it a shot.

I like steak with just salt. Sprinkle with some Maldon sea salt flakes, and let sit in the fridge overnight. If you like pepper, than and that too. Then grill (medium rare minus for me).

I like steak with just salt. Sprinkle with some Maldon sea salt flakes, and let sit in the fridge overnight. If you like pepper, than and that too. Then grill (medium rare minus for me).

Yep...a good steak doesnt need much.
I tend to stay away from filets,they have no flavor,give me a good old dry aged N.Y. strip.....and I want it mooing.

I have an aversion to using the stove or oven in the summer. Stupid I know but that's just me. 80% of my meals are from the grill. Otherwise I eat out or just snack on something light.

I have an aversion to using the stove or oven in the summer. Stupid I know but that's just me. 80% of my meals are from the grill. Otherwise I eat out or just snack on something light.

Oh I hear ya. But the premise of your thread is exactly why I decided to broaden my horizons when it comes to cooking. After awhile you run out of things to grill.
The sous vide is sweet though.
Put in a rack or three of ribs and let em go for 12 to 24 hours pull em out and finish em on the grill for the char or add bbq sauce.
You can turn the toughest hunk of beef,which of course have a more beefy flavor,into prime rib tender melt in your mouth beef.
And you can still finish em on the grill.

Yep...a good steak doesnt need much.
I tend to stay away from filets,they have no flavor,give me a good old dry aged N.Y. strip.....and I want it mooing.

I don't care for filets - NY, rib eye, or a t-bone work for me. But...there is a fabulous recipe for filet mignon in The Complete Meat Cookbook. I'll try to find it and post it later.

Forum List

Back