I need some new ideas for grilling/smoking

I don't understand anything about smoking but like it was mentioned above, have you thought to smoke salmon?

It's delicious!

edit to add

Grilled vegetables are amazing also!!

We still haven't found out if he's smoking or grilling.
Mostly smoking

Being a former competition BBQ'r what exactly are you calling BBQ?
Are you using a true offset or diverted heat source or are you referring to what northerners call BBQ when they throw a burger on the grill?
If you're a Southerner I didnt mean to insult you........
I use indirect heat with charcoal/wood containers. I am used to a traditional barrel smoker but this spring it needed new grates and I couldn't find them anywhere. I decided to try a webber and while the method is a change so far the results have been pretty good. I got the largest webber they make and I love all the different options & attachments they have. Cooking area can be an issue when we have company tho

I have been using the new Webber I bought 3 to 4 days a week and I'm growing tired of the same things. Up to this point I've been doing smoked chicken, smoked filet, burgers, wings & onion soup potatoes. Occasionally ribs but I'm terrible with them on this grill.

I need some variety people!

If you can figure out how to keep the temp at, or below 200, and can get your hands on some fresh bluefish.........

Also, chicken thighs (skin on) done at low heat for 90 minutes with a decent rub......

Spicy Chicken Thighs

We use two packages (20 thighs total) bone-in thighs, skin removed.

Marinade overnight in:

Frank's Hot Sauce that's been heavily doctored with garlic powder, onion powdered, and Emeril Lagasse's Original Essence Seasoning.

Grill them, eat them accompanied with potato or mac salad, sweet baked beans (the cool of salad, the sweet of the beans go great with the heat/spice of the chicken), and icy, icy cold beer.

I don't understand anything about smoking but like it was mentioned above, have you thought to smoke salmon?

It's delicious!

edit to add

Smoking salmon on a Weber takes some skill......

My grilled salmon is slammin. Just get a big piece of foil and a big skinned salmon fillet. Use garlic salt or even texas rub works well. Do both sides place on foil and fold up the sides but leave an opening. Get the gill really hot and then plop your foil/fillet on the grill. wait about ten minutes then flip the fillet. If it's really big you may have to cut it in sections. Then wait until the middle JUST goes from that reddish jelly look to whitish/pink. Even my sons like it and they hate fish.

Highly recommend you try this one if you're a fan of Salmon.
This is just a internet version because i'm to lazy to go dig up my recipe at the moment.
If you're interested i'll find it tomorrow.
Brown Sugar Dill Salmon Recipe

If you've got decent salmon and fresh dill, just forget the grill and make Gravlax....

Tonight I did smoked hamburgers. Delicious! I also looked up a recipe for homemade fries. I blanched my fries! Whatever the fuck that means but God damn they were the best fries I ever had. Prep time seemed a bit ridiculous for French fries but it was worth it. About 40 minutes total.

There's an art to picking your taters and some luck involved.
Certain potatoes are better for fries than others.
When I decide to go through the hassle I get a bag of russets and make two solutions of brine,one should make them sink and one they should float in.
If they dont pass the test they become mashed or baked.

Toss em in the oil for a few minutes then into the ice water,dry and toss em back into the oil till done.

HOpe he is grilling.

Smoking is bad for the health

Wait a minute....so you're anti BBQ?

anti smoking

every since I got COPD

So you dont eat smoked meats or you wont smoke meats?
:banghead:

Alright...my first thought was ciggs but It's tough to decipher sarcasm.
My second was some people equate BBQ with cancer.
In the interest of not making you sound like a pussy I chose the high road.
Sue me...:lol:

Always go with your first thought.

If you CAN'T keep the heat below 200 for 30 minutes, but CAN find bluefish, sprinkle some bay seasoning on the fish, lather it up with mayonnaise, and cover it with mandolin sliced onion rings. Wrap in a tin foil "papillote", and place over coals for 12 minutes. Then take a bbq fork or a skewer and pierce the papillote all the way through to drain.....leave over coals for another 3 minutes or so......

My grilled salmon is slammin. Just get a big piece of foil and a big skinned salmon fillet. Use garlic salt or even texas rub works well. Do both sides place on foil and fold up the sides but leave an opening. Get the gill really hot and then plop your foil/fillet on the grill. wait about ten minutes then flip the fillet. If it's really big you may have to cut it in sections. Then wait until the middle JUST goes from that reddish jelly look to whitish/pink. Even my sons like it and they hate fish.

This is just a internet version because i'm to lazy to go dig up my recipe at the moment.

If you've got decent salmon and fresh dill, just forget the grill and make Gravlax....

Never heard of it but it sounds pretty damn good.
I love me some Ahi Tuna so this is right up my alley.

It's delicious!

edit to add

Very true. I have yet to master the temperature control. Even just a few charcoals & some wood runs my temp through the roof.

It's delicious!

edit to add

Very true. I have yet to master the temperature control. Even just a few charcoals & some wood runs my temp through the roof.

You should really spring for a water smoker if you want to smoke.
It's the closest you'll get to true BBQ.
And you can pick up a decent one for sixty bucks.

It's delicious!

edit to add

I had one of those when my girls were little. They were such a mess to clean up I went with a barrel until this year. That was about 20 years ago. Now that the kids are grown & things have slowed down I might give it another go next year.

It's delicious!

edit to add

I had one of those when my girls were little. They were such a mess to clean up I went with a barrel until this year. That was about 20 years ago. Now that the kids are grown & things have slowed down I might give it another go next year.

The worst job as the rookie on the BBQ team was pulling the trailers to the car wash. Of course the more money you pitched in the shorter the rookie season.:biggrin:

The salmon is easy.......the sauce takes some practice.....

The salmon is easy.......the sauce takes some practice.....

Oh I will be trying it...
Half the fun of cooking is making new recipes and then improving on em.

If you really want to turn out some kick ass Q you need to pick up an offset smoker and install a gas burner so you can hold temp and catch some Z'z for those long smokes....of course this isnt legal in competition but who cares?
The second thing to do is pre burn your wood before putting it in the pit and remove the bark,it imparts a bitter taste you need to avoid.
The third is to buy some quality thermos like those from Thermoworks,you'll be glad you did.

And my final words of advice?
Subscribe to Aaron Franklins Youtube channel,this guy is a God when it comes to BBQ.

Forum List

Back