I May Have Committed Educational Suicide... I Told a Professor They Were Too Biased

The Grad school for Criminology I am a part of is just so far liberal it drives me nuts. I felt like an outcast all semester, as professors would present biased material that didn't depict the entire story. One class in particular was about punishment, and literally the entire semester he showed nothing but material that shit all over every single part and person of the corrections and rehabilitations components of Criminal Justice. The being of the semester was interesting and I liked learning more about slavery and indentured servitude... and convict leasing, etc. Yet then it got to the point where he would show biased material where inmates were just complaining about things like strip searches, or not being told beforehand about transfers, and I couldn't help but to speak up. THERE ARE REASONS FOR THOSE PROCEDURES! It has to not only do with safety for the officers, but safety for the inmate and other inmates.

He gave me an 88% in his course, 11 points from an 'A' with the majority of my points taken off for class participation. I wrote him an email tonight. In it I told him how he made me feel uncomfortable because of how he represented the system. I also told him I thought he was doing the other students a disservice not teaching them the entire story, the good WITH the bad. I said that it wasn't personal, and that I thought he was a good person, but that maybe with me being honest to him, he'll maybe see things more clearly.

I probably just fucked myself in this program, as almost all the professors seem to be the same, with these extreme liberal ideas, even with some calling themselves Marxist. Really the problem isn't with what they SAY they are, it's the fact they can't separate themselves from the material. I'll give it one more semester... I'll just sit back and play the game, but if I feel as miserable and uncomfortable as I did this semester I'l have to find somewhere else to finish.

Well, at that level of education, you should be able to think for yourself. The professors present certain things and then you should be able to fill in the gaps.

It sounds here like you've simply got a massive chip on your shoulder.

I'm not sure how to put it really. The classes are small, like 6 people and the professor, and it is ALL discussion based on the material assigned or something we view in class. It is ALL negative towards punishment of ANY kind. The professor is actually an abolitionist. He wants to get rid of all prisons... and thinks they are ALL unethical and unnecessary punishment. I worked 5 years in a prison... and it was nothing like he would present. All he would do is bring up negative things EVERY class.

Maybe he does. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have a point. As an educated person you should be looking at different points of view, considering what he says. If the class is discussion based maybe he's just being deliberately provocative in order to make you think. Maybe he's trying to push an agenda. Does it matter?

You should be using your brain to figure things out for yourself.

The US has one of the biggest per capita prison populations in the world. You've complained that it's too left wing, so I'd assume you're right wing. Does this therefore mean you support locking up people because society can't be bothered to deal with things like mental illnesses, education etc etc?

Use your time, not to play the game, but to present your arguments, to open your mind, to change your opinions if necessary, and to try and come to the truth, rather than playing the political game.

No, I'm not right wing. I'm in the middle... but these professors are not only left, but some so far left that though they label themselves as a Marxist, yes you heard that right THEY label themselves that, one professor even said that she felt Marx wasn't left enough for her.

The problem isn't me having an open mind, the problem is sitting in the class having a professor who rips apart a situation I LIVED and know are lies. At no time do I ever live under the idea that the prison system in the U.S. is not flawed, but what I won't do is demonize every person in it, and go around telling people that we should get rid of all prisons like he thinks we should. Until you stand nose-to-nose with a murderer that says they have zero sympathy for the person they killed, and that they know they should be locked up because they feel they would have no problem killing again, don't tell me we shouldn't have prisons.

That a given professor or instructor might present facts and the truth that conflict with conservative dogma doesn’t make him ‘liberal.’

It's not about presenting facts. It's about a professor tasked with teaching a course and giving 16 weeks filled with advancing their agenda on students that don't know any better. When I have some students that tell me outside of class that they appreciate me speaking up in class and mentioning when we are taught something wrong, that doesn't correlate to the truth, it verifies there is a problem.

As a former corrections officer I can assure you that moves and transfer information are NOT made available to the convicts for the sole reason of officers safety. You professor is a moron. I'd like to see fools like that work in a prison. They would most always end up have sex with the convicts or committing felonies by bringing in drugs or other illegal things.

As a former corrections officer I can assure you that moves and transfer information are NOT made available to the convicts for the sole reason of officers safety. You professor is a moron. I'd like to see fools like that work in a prison. They would most always end up have sex with the convicts or committing felonies by bringing in drugs or other illegal things.

It's not just for officer's safety. It's also to prevent their family or friends trying to help them escape, or if they know they can get away with it, by getting the officer to stop to use the bathroom at some designated spot... which most officers know not to do that, it can be to stop any kind of contraband from being passed.

Yet in the film he showed in class it had an ex-inmate complaining about being woke up at 4 in the morning and being told to pack their stuff because they were being transfered without warning... and how "bad" it was on them not to be able to tell their family beforehand.

It's not just for officer's safety. It's also to prevent their family or friends trying to help them escape, or if they know they can get away with it, by getting the officer to stop to use the bathroom at some designated spot... which most officers know not to do that, it can be to stop any kind of contraband from being passed.

Yet in the film he showed in class it had an ex-inmate complaining about being woke up at 4 in the morning and being told to pack their stuff because they were being transfered without warning... and how "bad" it was on them not to be able to tell their family beforehand.
Well, them not being able to tell their family or friends to break them out is for officer safety. The mere act of "breaking them out" usually can end up with the officer being shot on sight. That was the main reason I tried to avoid going on transfer duty. Because many times the idiots I worked with would tell the convicts what ever they wanted to, not realizing they were potentially placing them in danger. Another aspect of keeping them in the dark on transfers was to keep there enemies from being told they were moving and setting up an ambush for them. Which would also be very dangerous for the officers.

Well, them not being able to tell their family or friends to break them out is for officer safety. The mere act of "breaking them out" usually can end up with the officer being shot on sight. That was the main reason I tried to avoid going on transfer duty. Because many times the idiots I worked with would tell the convicts what ever they wanted to, not realizing they were potentially placing them in danger. Another aspect of keeping them in the dark on transfers was to keep there enemies from being told they were moving and setting up an ambush for them. Which would also be very dangerous for the officers.

Yeah, that's another issue, especially if the inmate being transferred is in big debt to other inmates.

Yeah, that's another issue, especially if the inmate being transferred is in big debt to other inmates.
Or cheated them out in the world...regardless, I agree, the professor is a moron. Just like the doctors and nurses were at the hospitals where I took convicts in for treatment were. They would always get mad at me because I would not help the convict out of the transport vehicle. I was not allowed to go near the convict because I was carrying a gun. They were to stupid to see that he could possibly take the gun from me. They always wanted the restraints removed form the convict which was against the rules. I always had to be the asshole that called the security Chief to the hospital.

Or cheated them out in the world...regardless, I agree, the professor is a moron. Just like the doctors and nurses were at the hospitals where I took convicts in for treatment were. They would always get mad at me because I would not help the convict out of the transport vehicle. I was not allowed to go near the convict because I was carrying a gun. They were to stupid to see that he could possibly take the gun from me. They always wanted the restraints removed form the convict which was against the rules. I always had to be the asshole that called the security Chief to the hospital.

Yep, and you are supposed to walk behind them and to the opposite side you are carrying your firearm.

Restraints were another thing brought up in class... not only in the lecture but by the students remarking how it looked to much like slavery and how demeaning it was to the inmates. Yeah, that's how lots of people feel until an inmate grabs an innocent person and kills them, assaults them, or escapes.

Yes, I think our corrections system is messed up full of too many drug convicts and non-violent offenders, but anyone that thinks we can abolish all prisons is just plain ignorant and hasn't been around enough violent criminals to know better.

The Grad school for Criminology I am a part of is just so far liberal it drives me nuts. I felt like an outcast all semester, as professors would present biased material that didn't depict the entire story. One class in particular was about punishment, and literally the entire semester he showed nothing but material that shit all over every single part and person of the corrections and rehabilitations components of Criminal Justice. The being of the semester was interesting and I liked learning more about slavery and indentured servitude... and convict leasing, etc. Yet then it got to the point where he would show biased material where inmates were just complaining about things like strip searches, or not being told beforehand about transfers, and I couldn't help but to speak up. THERE ARE REASONS FOR THOSE PROCEDURES! It has to not only do with safety for the officers, but safety for the inmate and other inmates.

He gave me an 88% in his course, 11 points from an 'A' with the majority of my points taken off for class participation. I wrote him an email tonight. In it I told him how he made me feel uncomfortable because of how he represented the system. I also told him I thought he was doing the other students a disservice not teaching them the entire story, the good WITH the bad. I said that it wasn't personal, and that I thought he was a good person, but that maybe with me being honest to him, he'll maybe see things more clearly.

I probably just fucked myself in this program, as almost all the professors seem to be the same, with these extreme liberal ideas, even with some calling themselves Marxist. Really the problem isn't with what they SAY they are, it's the fact they can't separate themselves from the material. I'll give it one more semester... I'll just sit back and play the game, but if I feel as miserable and uncomfortable as I did this semester I'l have to find somewhere else to finish.
Maybe you picked the wrong school to go to ?!

How's your frat house?

Lots of parties and girls and spiked punch?

That would be worth staying at.

Professors who give their own opinions are like piles of dog sh!t.

Just learn the facts and pass the tests.

Don't get into an opinion-sh!tting contest with anybody there.

Yep, and you are supposed to walk behind them and to the opposite side you are carrying your firearm.

Restraints were another thing brought up in class... not only in the lecture but by the students remarking how it looked to much like slavery and how demeaning it was to the inmates. Yeah, that's how lots of people feel until an inmate grabs an innocent person and kills them, assaults them, or escapes.

Yes, I think our corrections system is messed up full of too many drug convicts and non-violent offenders, but anyone that thinks we can abolish all prisons is just plain ignorant and hasn't been around enough violent criminals to know better.
Whenever they (the prison guards) bring inmates to the hospital that I guard, the inmates are always waist shackled and ankle shackled. Standard prison and hospital procedure. You do NOT want one of these bad boys to get away.

Correct. The doctors and nurses always want you to remove the chains. lol

Whenever they (the prison guards) bring inmates to the hospital that I guard, the inmates are always waist shackled and ankle shackled. Standard prison and hospital procedure. You do NOT want one of these bad boys to get away.

I worked 5 years in a prison... and it was nothing like he would present.
I bet he didn't even consider the employment opportunities prisons present.

Half the class was about his specific field of interest... keeping prisons out of rural areas as a means of providing jobs and helping their economy, because it doesn't work.
Generally speaking any area with a lot of jobs already will NOT want a prison in their area.

Anyplace that NEEDS jobs will WANT a new prison.

Simple economics. Supply and demand.

How's your frat house?

Yeah it's tough when you take a course on punishment and the professor is for the abolishing of the entire prison system... and you are a former corrections officer that knows a lot of things being presented is pure bullshit. Not to mention when 1/3 final grade is based on class participation in discussions.

That a given professor or instructor might present facts and the truth that conflict with conservative dogma doesn’t make him ‘liberal.’

It's not about presenting facts. It's about a professor tasked with teaching a course and giving 16 weeks filled with advancing their agenda on students that don't know any better. When I have some students that tell me outside of class that they appreciate me speaking up in class and mentioning when we are taught something wrong, that doesn't correlate to the truth, it verifies there is a problem.
Students never know any better.

Professors are always biased because they live in ivory towers not in the real world.

C'est la vive. Get used to it.

Take some Philosophy and free your mind of brainwashing and/or attempted brainwashing.

How's your frat house?

Yeah it's tough when you take a course on punishment and the professor is for the abolishing of the entire prison system... and you are a former corrections officer that knows a lot of things being presented is pure bullshit. Not to mention when 1/3 final grade is based on class participation in discussions.
I have found that whenever I am in an adverse audience situation that I will deal with it by stating there are two sides and by presenting both sides.

Always present their side for them first, and sound impartial.

Then present the other side next.

Then finally compare and contrast and point out the conflicts.

Then point out that in a democracy the majority must rule and the minority must agree to disagree.

Otherwise there would be chaos and anarchy.

Half the class was about his specific field of interest... keeping prisons out of rural areas as a means of providing jobs and helping their economy, because it doesn't work.
Generally speaking any area with a lot of jobs already will NOT want a prison in their area.

Yes, but the statistics show that the prison brought to "save" a town doesn't actually end up doing so, especially if the prison is a federal one. There are many reasons for that, one of which is, when you move a prison into a rural area, often times because of hiring standards, very few people in the community can ever pass the minimum requirements to get a job.

The best part about college and grad school is all the girlies there who are afraid to die as virgins.

That's where those frat house parties come in !!!

The grad students at the frat house were the ones always in charge of the vodka.

Yes, but the statistics show that the prison brought to "save" a town doesn't actually end up doing so, especially if the prison is a federal one. There are many reasons for that, one of which is, when you move a prison into a rural area, often times because of hiring standards, very few people in the community can ever pass the minimum requirements to get a job.
American rednecks sure are stupid then huh ?!

This is too funny !!

The armed guard in charge of all of the armed guards at our hospital was a former U.S. Navy corrections officer (NCO).

We all have agreed that corrections is the nastiest job in the world.

Shoveling sh!t in Missouri would be even better.

As would working at the sewer or collecting trash for the landfill.

Forum List

Back