I May Have Committed Educational Suicide... I Told a Professor They Were Too Biased

Lewdog

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2016
Williamsburg, KY
The Grad school for Criminology I am a part of is just so far liberal it drives me nuts. I felt like an outcast all semester, as professors would present biased material that didn't depict the entire story. One class in particular was about punishment, and literally the entire semester he showed nothing but material that shit all over every single part and person of the corrections and rehabilitations components of Criminal Justice. The being of the semester was interesting and I liked learning more about slavery and indentured servitude... and convict leasing, etc. Yet then it got to the point where he would show biased material where inmates were just complaining about things like strip searches, or not being told beforehand about transfers, and I couldn't help but to speak up. THERE ARE REASONS FOR THOSE PROCEDURES! It has to not only do with safety for the officers, but safety for the inmate and other inmates.

He gave me an 88% in his course, 11 points from an 'A' with the majority of my points taken off for class participation. I wrote him an email tonight. In it I told him how he made me feel uncomfortable because of how he represented the system. I also told him I thought he was doing the other students a disservice not teaching them the entire story, the good WITH the bad. I said that it wasn't personal, and that I thought he was a good person, but that maybe with me being honest to him, he'll maybe see things more clearly.

I probably just fucked myself in this program, as almost all the professors seem to be the same, with these extreme liberal ideas, even with some calling themselves Marxist. Really the problem isn't with what they SAY they are, it's the fact they can't separate themselves from the material. I'll give it one more semester... I'll just sit back and play the game, but if I feel as miserable and uncomfortable as I did this semester I'l have to find somewhere else to finish.

The Grad school for Criminology I am a part of is just so far liberal it drives me nuts. I felt like an outcast all semester, as professors would present biased material that didn't depict the entire story. One class in particular was about punishment, and literally the entire semester he showed nothing but material that shit all over every single part and person of the corrections and rehabilitations components of Criminal Justice. The being of the semester was interesting and I liked learning more about slavery and indentured servitude... and convict leasing, etc. Yet then it got to the point where he would show biased material where inmates were just complaining about things like strip searches, or not being told beforehand about transfers, and I couldn't help but to speak up. THERE ARE REASONS FOR THOSE PROCEDURES! It has to not only do with safety for the officers, but safety for the inmate and other inmates.

He gave me an 88% in his course, 11 points from an 'A' with the majority of my points taken off for class participation. I wrote him an email tonight. In it I told him how he made me feel uncomfortable because of how he represented the system. I also told him I thought he was doing the other students a disservice not teaching them the entire story, the good WITH the bad. I said that it wasn't personal, and that I thought he was a good person, but that maybe with me being honest to him, he'll maybe see things more clearly.

I probably just fucked myself in this program, as almost all the professors seem to be the same, with these extreme liberal ideas, even with some calling themselves Marxist. Really the problem isn't with what they SAY they are, it's the fact they can't separate themselves from the material. I'll give it one more semester... I'll just sit back and play the game, but if I feel as miserable and uncomfortable as I did this semester I'l have to find somewhere else to finish.

Well, at that level of education, you should be able to think for yourself. The professors present certain things and then you should be able to fill in the gaps.

It sounds here like you've simply got a massive chip on your shoulder.

Well, at that level of education, you should be able to think for yourself. The professors present certain things and then you should be able to fill in the gaps.

I'm not sure how to put it really. The classes are small, like 6 people and the professor, and it is ALL discussion based on the material assigned or something we view in class. It is ALL negative towards punishment of ANY kind. The professor is actually an abolitionist. He wants to get rid of all prisons... and thinks they are ALL unethical and unnecessary punishment. I worked 5 years in a prison... and it was nothing like he would present. All he would do is bring up negative things EVERY class.

If a class lacks balance you are not being educated, you are being indoctrinated.

I'm sorry to hear of your grievance. Maybe you should give your proff a chance and see how they reply.

I went to a very liberal college in the northeast and had a conservative calculus proff who was one of my favorites. I enjoyed debating Bush invading Iraq with him.

I find it hard to believe all your proff are "marxist". If they are or you believe they are then switch. There are some great "liberal" places up here in the northeast that are tolerant and not marxist where you can get a great education despite what you might have heard if you are interested.

I'm not sure how to put it really. The classes are small, like 6 people and the professor, and it is ALL discussion based on the material assigned or something we view in class. It is ALL negative towards punishment of ANY kind. The professor is actually an abolitionist. He wants to get rid of all prisons... and thinks they are ALL unethical and unnecessary punishment. I worked 5 years in a prison... and it was nothing like he would present. All he would do is bring up negative things EVERY class.

Maybe he does. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have a point. As an educated person you should be looking at different points of view, considering what he says. If the class is discussion based maybe he's just being deliberately provocative in order to make you think. Maybe he's trying to push an agenda. Does it matter?

You should be using your brain to figure things out for yourself.

The US has one of the biggest per capita prison populations in the world. You've complained that it's too left wing, so I'd assume you're right wing. Does this therefore mean you support locking up people because society can't be bothered to deal with things like mental illnesses, education etc etc?

Use your time, not to play the game, but to present your arguments, to open your mind, to change your opinions if necessary, and to try and come to the truth, rather than playing the political game.

I remember the days when a "Liberal" professor would have welcomed your perspective even though he disagreed with you. Now Liberal professors grade you down because your opinion does not match theirs. It is truly pathetic what is going on in many colleges and universities these days.

I remember the days when a "Liberal" professor would have welcomed your perspective even though he disagreed with you. Now Liberal professors grade you down because your opinion does not match theirs. It is truly pathetic what is going on in many colleges and universities these days.

Partisan politics infiltrating the whole of society. But the people insist on keeping the partisan politics.

`
`

And you know this first hand?

I don't believe this happens that often. I went to college in the liberal northeast and different views were welcomed. I did have one lit proff who was as left as could be.

`
`

And you know this first hand?
Yes I do. My wife is a professor and both my sons have attended different universities. My wife feels like an outcast with her faculty peers because she is a Trump supporter. My sons tell me similar experiences in their general elective classes to what Lewdog is experiencing in his classes. My oldest son even though he was a math major writes very well. He was marked down to a B in his English class because his teacher was a Liberal Feminist who did not like WHAT he wrote even though she commented on how well he wrote.

Yes I do. My wife is a professor and both my sons have attended different universities. My wife feels like an outcast with her faculty peers because she is a Trump supporter. My sons tell me similar experiences in their general elective classes to what Lewdog is experiencing in his classes. My oldest son even though he was a math major writes very well. He was marked down to a B in his English class because his teacher was a Liberal Feminist who did not like WHAT he wrote even though she commented on how well he wrote.
`
`

So, if it happened to you, it must be happening all over the US, in greater numbers?

Partisan politics infiltrating the whole of society. But the people insist on keeping the partisan politics.

How would you go about changing that dynamic?

You do need to be careful, because their ideology overrides everything else. Just do your work, and chalk this up as a learning experience -- learning how to work from a position of weakness in asymmetrical environments. That will happen in real life from time to time. Life isn't fair.

It's in your best interests, right now, to keep your mouth shut and your opinions to yourself.

After all, this is America.

Last edited:

Tell him you support public hanging for rapists, pedos, and murderers. :coffee:

:blowup:

Politics never really entered into the classroom when I was in school, then again, no post-grad stuff for me.

Had one professor I didn't like the whole time. A lecherous little hateful man.

You should have thought about the expectations of an online degree.

How would you go about changing that dynamic?

Proportional Representation or some semblance of it.

Germany has PR and FPTP, so half (more or less) of the Bundestag members are from FPTP and the other half from PR.

With FPTP the larger parties get a lot more votes. The last election in September 8% of people voted for the larger parties with FPTP and changed to the smaller parties with PR. PR is POSITIVE voting. It leads to MORE political parties, which means that partisan politics of just two teams changes.

In Germany and other countries you end up with a something like a further right party, a mainstream right party, a center right party, center left party, mainstream left party and further left party. Sometimes more. This allows everyone to choose their place in the political spectrum. No longer will you have left v. right. You'll have further right against mainstream right, or center right, or anyone left. The lines aren't drawn so clearly.

Forum List

Back