I just don't understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... It's not mandatory.... But you *could* vote to get rid of the music.. :)

MissileMan said:
If you want to stand on a street corner and quote scripture at the top of your lungs, you are free to do so. I'm not arguing that. This is ok, because I have an option to cross the street so I don't have to hear it. When you start doing it in places where people work, or are trying to get an education, they might not have an option to "cross the street". What you are really hoping is that eventually, the federal government will step in to make us all a captive audience.

That's crap. You're paranoid. You're free to talk about how morality can be construed from logic alone. Christians are free to talk about jesus. It's a free country. Or it used to be. You're just paranoid.

I don't like the music played at the mall.. To me, that's the same comparison.. It's still quite a bit different than getting nailed at work, however.

Shattered said:
So... It's not mandatory.... But you *could* vote to get rid of the music.. :)

already been voted on---it's there whether I like it or not---this argument that if you don't wanna hear something you should leave is bogus.

dilloduck said:
It's a perfect parallel-----I am forced to hear what I don't like. Isn't that your gripe?
You aren't forced to listen to that music...there's no way that they play it through the entire city council meeting. You are free to leave while the music is playing and come back when it stops.

dilloduck said:
already been voted on---it's there whether I like it or not---this argument that if you don't wanna hear something you should leave is bogus.

If someone comes in to work spouting their religious crap, I don't have the option of leaving. I'm forced to face them, smile, and engage in their conversation. To me, that's exceptionally unfair. If I offend them by telling them I'm simply not interested, we risk losing a customer, which is bad for business...

I think the whole problem is this world is filled with nothing but self-centered people, and nobody gives a rip about how anyone else might feel anymore.. It's all "ME ME ME ME!"

Shattered said:
If someone comes in to work spouting their religious crap, I don't have the option of leaving. I'm forced to face them, smile, and engage in their conversation. To me, that's exceptionally unfair. If I offend them by telling them I'm simply not interested, we risk losing a customer, which is bad for business...

And you don't think Christians sit and listen to a bunch of crap that THEY don't wanna hear????

Shattered said:
I think the whole problem is this world is filled with nothing but self-centered people, and nobody gives a rip about how anyone else might feel anymore.. It's all "ME ME ME ME!"

Yeah. Especially intolerant atheists.

dilloduck said:
And you don't think Christians sit and listen to a bunch of crap that THEY don't wanna hear????

So it's simply a battle of the wills? "I'm going to do it because people do it to me"?

Shattered said:
So it's simply a battle of the wills? "I'm going to do it because people do it to me"?

No it's a matter of living in a society where people have different opinions about things. It's called tolerance---we don't live alone here ya know !

I dunno why I even stuck my head back in this discussion.. I made it perfectly clear that I have no problems with how Christians (or anyone else for that matter) choose to celebrate their faith. I only ask that they have the common courtesy to leave their grubby little mitts off my car, and their preachings out of my workplace. I don't think they'd like it if I came to their place of employment and started reciting Marilyn Manson's Antichrist Superstar lyrics.

If they come to my house, I don't have to answer the door. If they call out to me on the street, I can keep walking... (Touch me again, tho, and you're going to get decked).

Shattered said:

Look, ho. It's a matter of free speech. Your anti christian bias is a personal problem. There is no legal precedent for silencing others because you happen to not like what they say.

dilloduck said:
No it's a matter of living in a society where people have different opinions about things. It's called tolerance---we don't live alone here ya know !

No, we don't live alone.. But I'm curious as to why I should always suck it up in favor of someone elses comfort, just because I don't believe the same things they do.. (That's essentially what I was told yestersday by someone)

rtwngAvngr said:
Look, ho. It's a matter of free speech. Your anti christian bias is a personal problem. There is no legal precedent for silencing others because you happen to not like what they say.

Look, ho?? Excuse me??

Obviously you're lacking certain social skills required ro participate in adult like discussions, which is perhaps making you angry enough to resort to petty insults against someone you don't know. If that's what it takes to make you feel like a man, far be it from me to stand in your way.

Carry on, Superman. You cease to exist from this point forward.

Shattered said:
I dunno why I even stuck my head back in this discussion.. I made it perfectly clear that I have no problems with how Christians (or anyone else for that matter) choose to celebrate their faith. I only ask that they have the common courtesy to leave their grubby little mitts off my car, and their preachings out of my workplace. I don't think they'd like it if I came to their place of employment and started reciting Marilyn Manson's Antichrist Superstar lyrics.

If they come to my house, I don't have to answer the door. If they call out to me on the street, I can keep walking... (Touch me again, tho, and you're going to get decked).

I could go on and on about the things that Christians tolerate everyday that are profane, immoral, rude, etc. to a Christian. The gate swings both ways---I tell Christians and Non-christians to leave me alone all the time if I'm not "trapped" into having to be polite and tolerate. You can't tell me you love to have people coming by you house selling shit all the time .

dilloduck said:
I could go on and on about the things that Christians tolerate everyday that are profane, immoral, rude, etc. to a Christian. The gate swings both ways---I tell Christians and Non-christians to leave me alone all the time if I'm not "trapped" into having to be polite and tolerate. You can't tell me you love to have people coming by you house selling shit all the time .

No, I don't love it.. In fact, I rarely answer the door.. Home is one of the places it doesn't bother me, *because* I have an out.. At work, it bothers me. People messing with my car bothers me.. Like I said, I don't go tearing religious stickers off of your car, don't put things *on* my car. Respect my personal property...

Shattered said:
No, I don't love it.. In fact, I rarely answer the door.. Home is one of the places it doesn't bother me, *because* I have an out.. At work, it bothers me. People messing with my car bothers me.. Like I said, I don't go tearing religious stickers off of your car, don't put things *on* my car. Respect my personal property...

It would be lovely if everyone just give us our space but it aint gonna happen so the next step is to learn how to live in a world that has other people in it who are different than you.

rtwngAvngr said:
That's crap. You're paranoid. You're free to talk about how morality can be construed from logic alone. Christians are free to talk about jesus. It's a free country. Or it used to be. You're just paranoid.

Why is appropriate time and place such a difficult thing for you to understand? Having sex with the Mrs. is appropriate. Having sex with the Mrs. in the middle of the street during rush hour is inappropriate. Preaching the gospel is appropriate. Preaching the gospel in a crowded bar during the Super Bowl is inappropriate. Teaching your kids about Christianity at your home and your church is appropriate. Trying to teach everyone's kids about Christianity at public school is inappropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back