I just don't understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
dilloduck said:
Thats the point----there's no local ordinance against religion either so live with it !!!

You talked about the door swinging both ways...there are many things out there that are perfectly legal that you would find inappropriate and would want to squelch. If the shoe is on the other foot, will you argue so loudly to "live with it"?

MissileMan said:
You talked about the door swinging both ways...there are many things out there that are perfectly legal that you would find inappropriate and would want to squelch. If the shoe is on the other foot, will you argue so loudly to "live with it"?

I've already explained to you how far backwards Christians ALREADY bend over to appease the secularists----Christians DO live with it !!!

dilloduck said:
All Christians are not the same---lose the stereotype
I'm not sterotyping. There have been numerous posts about infusing Christian morals into the schools. Now you seem to be saying that those morals can vary from one Christian to another. This would imply that some morals are absolutes and others are subjective. Who gets to decide which slant is appropriate on those morals that are open for interpretation? Whose slant would be chosen to be added to school curriculum?

MissileMan said:
That's right, but I believe you do and you said appropriateness varies from person to person. That shouldn't be true among Christians should it?

Nope, I'm not Jewish.

Christians are not the borg, and plus not all people are christians anyway. We are a multicultural society that respects the points of view of all people and allows any person to discuss whatever they want freely. Right?

MissileMan said:
I'm not sterotyping. There have been numerous posts about infusing Christian morals into the schools. Now you seem to be saying that those morals can vary from one Christian to another. This would imply that some morals are absolutes and others are subjective. Who gets to decide which slant is appropriate on those morals that are open for interpretation? Whose slant would be chosen to be added to school curriculum?

Government funded schools will have to decide that and judges will rule on it. Even Christians disagree how the curriculum issue should be handled. The attack on religion is just creating a backlash that has been in the works for a long time.

freeandfun1 said:
I agree from a customer standpoint. But between employees, religion does NOT belong in the workplace. Period. It can lead to too many problems.

People should be able to discuss whatever they want. If they can't work together due to these discussions then they're not mature adults. You can have whatever policy you wish in your company, but there is no law banning religious speech from the workplace. It's free speech under the constitution.

rtwngAvngr said:
People should be able to discuss whatever they want. If they can't work together due to these discussions then they're not mature adults. You can have whatever policy you wish in your company, but there is no law banning religious speech from the workplace. It's free speech under the constitution.

Ya know? It seems to me, the only people who get annoyed or pissed at discussions are those who are losing...or otherwise unable to back up their claims/feelings. I've always said, I don't care WHAT you believe, just be able to EXPLAIN it to a standard. :)

rtwngAvngr said:
Christians are not the borg, and plus not all people are christians anyway. We are a multicultural society that respects the points of view of all people and allows any person to discuss whatever they want freely. Right?

Thanks! The mental image of 2 JWs on the porch saying "we are here to assimilate you" tickled my funnybone.

-=d=- said:
Ya know? It seems to me, the only people who get annoyed or pissed at discussions are those who are losing...or otherwise unable to back up their claims/feelings. I've always said, I don't care WHAT you believe, just be able to EXPLAIN it to a standard. :)

Well put! :)

MissileMan said:
Thanks! The mental image of 2 JWs on the porch saying "we are here to assimilate you" tickled my funnybone.

Those people are fun. I always offer them coffee, knowing full well they don't defile their temples with caffeine. Or are those the mormons?, ahh, same diff.

rtwngAvngr said:
This is true...BUT.
In order to keep a TRULY professional environment, one should
never include their personal beliefs, Christian or any other, into
work that is not related. If two co-workers choose to have this discussion
then that is on them, both parties can express at any time that the
conversation has become uncomfortable and end it right there. It’s just
common courtesy.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
This is true...BUT.
In order to keep a TRULY professional environment, one should
never include their personal beliefs, Christian or any other, into
work that is not related.

But it is not a legal mandate. THis is just your opinion.

rtwngAvngr said:
But it is not a legal mandate. THis is just your opinion.
Not only is it my opinion but it is considered an unwritten
good buisness policy. I know with my company, any unwanted
conversation about ones faith can be considered as harrasment.
Key word being UNWANTED.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
Key word being UNWANTED.

That was my point earlier when I said religion has no place in the workplace.

If a Christian is going to be allowed to put forth their beliefs unchecked, then so can a Satanist.

freeandfun1 said:

If a Christian is going to be allowed to put forth their beliefs unchecked, then so can a Satanist.

Conversation and conversion are two seperate things. I think a simple discussion about your religion is ok, as long as you're not preaching in order to save the other "sinners".

freeandfun1 said:

Exactly. It's called free speech.

Said1 said:
Conversation and conversion are two separate things. I think a simple discussion about your religion is ok, as long as you're not preaching in order to save the other "sinners".

I agree as long as the conversation is mutual. I am mainly referring to unwanted discussions.

I have several Mormon employees and I talk to them about their religion all the time. I like hearing about it. But if somebody else in the office doesn't want to hear it, I tell them to stop the discussion and pick it up later.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
Key word being UNWANTED.

Right, because this is how far the atheists have stigmatized any religious discussion.

freeandfun1 said:

From a neutral stance on the subject,
I understand the theory of that, but it would only create more problems.
By that same theory, The Satanist could press charges for harassment
in the work place if such policy enforced.
I know my work does.
Boeing Policy on Harassment.
All because of this section, it's legal both ways.
"Part of our company's commitment to a strong
equal employment opportunity policy is zero
tolerance for harassment in the workplace. This
does not mean just sexual harassment. It also
means harassment based on someone's race,
color, religion, gender, national origin, age,
disability, or veteran's status. The company not
only wants to comply with the law—harassment
is prohibited under EEO requirements – we
want to cultivate a work environment where all
employees feel respected, valued, and
empowered to contribute their fullest to our
business objectives."

Ok. Let's say I don't like to hear discussions about football. It's a brutish sport that panders to a lower nature in society. Are you going to go tell everyone they can't discuss football around me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back