Zone1 Rosary?

Mortimer

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2010
Kings of Con
Im a bit "Protestant" influenced in the way that im a bit uncertain whether it is really good that the most holy and most important, and most often cited prayer, is praying to Mary? Shouldnt it be about God/Jesus?

I do have a beautiful rosary, and i did prayed it sometimes, but not regulary. I would recite only the Hail Marys though and I do sometimes, or occassionally before sleeping.

But there are a few doubts, why the most important, most central catholic prayer is about Mary? Shouldnt it be about Jesus Christ?

The most important Orthodox Christian Prayer is the Jesus Prayer, that is somehow more reasonable? I recited it many times a day, no matter what i do, it is a short sentence and i recite it often. many times a day.

“It is necessary for everyone, whether eating, drinking, sitting, serving, traveling, or doing anything, to unceasingly cry: ‘Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me,’ that the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, descending into the depths of the heart, may subdue the pernicious serpent, and save and quicken the soul.”

– St. John Chrysostom

If you are questioning the use of the rosary you most likely feel something about it is out of place.

As for God towards "Believers" we are forbidden to pray to idols of wood, stone, etc... We must pray to God only and worship God in spirit and truth. We are not to use any objects, statues, idols, etc...

We touch God with our hearts and our minds, but never through anything tangible. Everyone is not saved so they do things their own way, through the false teachings of cultures. They cannot be lumped in with Bible believers.

im a bit uncertain whether it is really good that the most holy and most important, and most often cited prayer, is praying to Mary? Shouldnt it be about God/Jesus?
First, praying the Rosary is not praying to Mary. It is praying scripture and meditating upon its stories and teachings. The Rosary begins with the Apostle's Creed, followed by the Lord's prayer. Then begins the story of Christ with the angel saying to Mary, "Hail, Mary, full of grace." Right off we see God communicating with an individual, and grace is at the forefront. We see Jesus entering the world and that he is blessed and will be addressing the sins of the world. How does he do this...and here begins personal meditation and contemplation on the life and teachings of Jesus.

In prayer, as in all things, attention can wander, and almost before this can happen, the Rosary pulls us back to the beginning of how it all started, with the message God sent via the angel, "Hail, Mary..." with grace, with someone entering the world to address the issue of sin and our broken humanity. We see God in our midst, and we are drawn to God.

Instead of taking on the role of the prosecution, "What is wrong with the Rosary" and wasting time following that path, try the other path of what is right with the Rosary. It seems that has become the Road Less Traveled...but one that makes all the difference.

Im a bit "Protestant" influenced in the way that im a bit uncertain whether it is really good that the most holy and most important, and most often cited prayer, is praying to Mary? Shouldnt it be about God/Jesus?

I do have a beautiful rosary, and i did prayed it sometimes, but not regulary. I would recite only the Hail Marys though and I do sometimes, or occassionally before sleeping.

But there are a few doubts, why the most important, most central catholic prayer is about Mary? Shouldnt it be about Jesus Christ?

The most important Orthodox Christian Prayer is the Jesus Prayer, that is somehow more reasonable? I recited it many times a day, no matter what i do, it is a short sentence and i recite it often. many times a day.

“It is necessary for everyone, whether eating, drinking, sitting, serving, traveling, or doing anything, to unceasingly cry: ‘Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me,’ that the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, descending into the depths of the heart, may subdue the pernicious serpent, and save and quicken the soul.”

– St. John Chrysostom

WHAT?

The rosary IS about Jesus! Don't you meditate on the Life of Christ while praying the rosary? There is the first mystery, which is about Mary being told she will bear a child who will save people from their sins. Then there are the other mysteries, ALL centered on Christ's life.. up to and including His horrific Crucifixion.

I suggest getting one of those small booklets... some are given out free at Catholic Churches (should be all of the Churches doing this). There are usually pictures that help you to envision things, but no one really needs the pictures.. because everyone has a mind/brain...

WHAT?

The rosary IS about Jesus! Don't you meditate on the Life of Christ while praying the rosary? There is the first mystery, which is about Mary being told she will bear a child who will save people from their sins. Then there are the other mysteries, ALL centered on Christ's life.. up to and including His horrific Crucifixion.

I suggest getting one of those small booklets... some are given out free at Catholic Churches (should be all of the Churches doing this). There are usually pictures that help you to envision things, but no one really needs the pictures.. because everyone has a mind/brain...
The rosary is about Mary, Svet. It takes our eyes off of Jesus.
The Rosary had been instituted by St. Dominic to appease the anger of God and to implore the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
We have one intercessor, Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 7:25 Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.

Romans 8:34 Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.​

1 John 2:1 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.​

Nowhere in the Bible does Jesus hand that job over to Mary or anyone else.
Trust the Bible, not little booklets...

Last edited:

– St. John Chrysostom
It is about Jesus but not a Jesus with no family, no love for His Mother !!!
All the scenes are Biblical. Why would God's Annunciation to Mary not be a theme for Divine contemplation, it was for Mary

It is Protestant in the worst sense of the word to think real religion is just 'me and Jesus'

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord;
My spirit rejoices in God my savior.
For he has looked upon his handmaid's lowliness;
behold, from now on will all ages call me blessed.
The Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name.
His mercy is from age to age to those who fear him.
He has shown might with his arm,
dispersed the arrogant of mind and heart.
He has thrown down the rulers from their thrones
but lifted up the lowly.
The hungry he has filled with good things;
the rich he has sent away empty.
He has helped Israel his servant, remembering his mercy,
According to his promise to our fathers,
to Abraham and to his descendants forever.

– St. John Chrysostom
First of all, the most important prayer OFFICIALLY is the DIVINE OFFICE, not the Rosary.
The Rosary is important and was introduced as a help to the common person, IT is prayer with Mary not to Mary alone !!!
There is the Our Father with every decade. and the mysteries upon which you meditate are virtually all Scriptural

You are the one making it all about Mary.
CATHOLIC CATECHISM

2678 Medieval piety in the West developed the prayer of the rosary as a popular substitute for the Liturgy of the Hours. In the East, the litany called the Akathistos and the Paraclesis remained closer to the choral office in the Byzantine churches, while the Armenian, Coptic, and Syriac traditions preferred popular hymns and songs to the Mother of God. But in the Ave Maria, the theotokia, the hymns of St. Ephrem or St. Gregory of Narek, the tradition of prayer is basically the same.

2679 Mary is the perfect Orans (pray-er), a figure of the Church. When we pray to her, we are adhering with her to the plan of the Father, who sends his Son to save all men. Like the beloved disciple we welcome Jesus' mother into our homes,39 for she has become the mother of all the living. We can pray with and to her. The prayer of the Church is sustained by the prayer of Mary and united with it in hope

religion is more than just scriptures!
But what part of religion isn't covered by scripture in the Bible? We are told how to pray, and to whom. We are taught how to act. We are taught what not to do. We know how to treat others. We know how we should feel toward our neighbors and their neighbors. We know what has happened and what is coming, and how to prepare. We know there is a Father that has such a love for us, it can't even be described in our language. We are an eternal child of the Most High, and He dances over us.
John 13:35 Jesus said, “By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another

Last edited:
First of all, the most important prayer OFFICIALLY is the DIVINE OFFICE, not the Rosary.
The Rosary is important and was introduced as a help to the common person, IT is prayer with Mary not to Mary alone !!!
There is the Our Father with every decade. and the mysteries upon which you meditate are virtually all Scriptural

You are the one making it all about Mary.
CATHOLIC CATECHISM

2678 Medieval piety in the West developed the prayer of the rosary as a popular substitute for the Liturgy of the Hours. In the East, the litany called the Akathistos and the Paraclesis remained closer to the choral office in the Byzantine churches, while the Armenian, Coptic, and Syriac traditions preferred popular hymns and songs to the Mother of God. But in the Ave Maria, the theotokia, the hymns of St. Ephrem or St. Gregory of Narek, the tradition of prayer is basically the same.

2679 Mary is the perfect Orans (pray-er), a figure of the Church. When we pray to her, we are adhering with her to the plan of the Father, who sends his Son to save all men. Like the beloved disciple we welcome Jesus' mother into our homes,39 for she has become the mother of all the living. We can pray with and to her. The prayer of the Church is sustained by the prayer of Mary and united with it in hope
Aaaaah, now you stepped in it.

1712919995888.png

She asked Jesus for a favor. And He wasn't happy about it.
That does not mean she intercedes for us in Heaven. Jesus never said, "Pray to God and my mom".

1 Tim.2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
one~a person of a specified kind

In fact we are to avoid doing this.

Deuteronomy 18:11 Or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead.​

Isaiah 8:19 And when they say to you, “Inquire of the mediums and the necromancers who chirp and mutter,” should not a people inquire of their God? Should they inquire of the dead on behalf of the living?​

You picked out an instance when Jesus honored his mother and turned it into a doctrine that actually opposes scripture.

Praying to Mary is powerful because she is the closest advocate to Jesus that exists in heaven.

"Do what he tells you to," she told the servants at the Wedding of Cana. Despite his misgivings, he did what she asked and turned the water to wine.

Forum List

Back