I have been Called to the Principal's Office

I just graduated my 2nd from college last Friday. My 3rd just got accepted to The University of Georgia where my youngest son graduated last May at age 20.
All 3 did very well academically, in other activities and one in sports also.
In local public schools. All 3 scored very high on all standardized tests. One extremely high and was a National Merit Scholar.
Yes, we saw a few lazy teachers but confrontation never works. Making the best out of all situations is the route to take.
Parents that expect a perfect situation for Junior and Missy do not live in the real world. In most areas, let the kids figure it out. Towering over them like a hawk about everything will only inhibit their independence and ability to be a self starter later in life. We see this all the time and how the kids fall apart when they leave for college and parents have NO say, PERIOD.
Stay the hell out of the way is the best route most of the time. If you do not like the rules that is your right so move.
If it is as bad as some say then why the hell stay in that school? Move, change schools.

Well, certainly moving, and/or changing schools are alternatives.

But I think its just a tad easier to give the district a chance to have teachers grade papers.

My kids always had an "Agenda" book that had all of the requirements of each course, what the course would teach and what they would be tested on. The agenda had a time line of what would be taught when. I do not remember individual tests being sent out all the time but I do remember if one of my kids received a low mark on a test we always knew what area they were tested on and would make sure they went over that area for the midterm and/or final.
If they are not providing you with an agenda and/or course guideline at the first of each semester/quarter for each course and what will be covered, when it will be covered and when the tests are given on that particular area of course work then that is a real problem.
The agenda keeps the student on task and makes them accountable for their own actions. If they do not do well on any test THEY know it and have no excuses.

My kids always had an "Agenda" book that had all of the requirements of each course, what the course would teach and what they would be tested on. The agenda had a time line of what would be taught when. I do not remember individual tests being sent out all the time but I do remember if one of my kids received a low mark on a test we always knew what area they were tested on and would make sure they went over that area for the midterm and/or final.
If they are not providing you with an agenda and/or course guideline at the first of each semester/quarter for each course and what will be covered, when it will be covered and when the tests are given on that particular area of course work then that is a real problem.
The agenda keeps the student on task and makes them accountable for their own actions. If they do not do well on any test THEY know it and have no excuses.

Actually what you are describing is what I've used in all my classes for the past 8 years. The students, (middle school), needed to have a spiral notebook, and pocket folder color coordinated for each of my classes. Into the notebook were all notes, ;) , diagrams, graphic organizers, etc. Following each lesson would be their homework, including page and problem numbers, corrections in contrasting colors along with additional information, also contrasting color, given during corrections and discussions. At the end of each section in preparing for testing would be a review to be completed in notebook and an optional online quiz that could be repeated and was graded each time immediately. Both the hand out review and online review covered all material on the test-though questions were different.

In history classes the average student went through 3 notebooks per year.

While I collected homework grades occasionally, the big 'homework grade' was the notebook. If all assignments had been corrected, if dates and page numbers for reading and assignments had been used, if contrasting colors had been used, they'd get an A on notebook. The only reason that I'd collect homework grades, (once or twice a week), was to ensure they were doing their homework to the best of their ability. My major concern was that they understood what was wrong and why. I wanted them to develop better note taking skills, to prepare for tests, both imminent and long term.

Seriously, I had at least 40 high school/college students return and thank me. Some wrote letters about how I'd helped them prepare for higher learning-ahead of their classmates. Yeah, those letters are part of my portfolio.

Actually what you are describing is what I've used in all my classes for the past 8 years. The students, (middle school), needed to have a spiral notebook, and pocket folder color coordinated for each of my classes. Into the notebook were all notes, ;) , diagrams, graphic organizers, etc. Following each lesson would be their homework, including page and problem numbers, corrections in contrasting colors along with additional information, also contrasting color, given during corrections and discussions. At the end of each section in preparing for testing would be a review to be completed in notebook and an optional online quiz that could be repeated and was graded each time immediately. Both the hand out review and online review covered all material on the test-though questions were different.

While I collected homework grades occasionally, the big 'homework grade' was the notebook. If all assignments had been corrected, if dates and page numbers for reading and assignments had been used, if contrasting colors had been used, they'd get an A on notebook. The only reason that I'd collect homework grades, (once or twice a week), was to ensure they were doing their homework to the best of their ability. My major concern was that they understood what was wrong and why. I wanted them to develop better note taking skills, to prepare for tests, both imminent and long term.

Seriously, I had at least 40 high school/college students return and thank me. Some wrote letters about how I'd helped them prepare for higher learning-ahead of their classmates. Yeah, those letters are part of my portfolio.

You sound like an excellent and very detail oriented teacher. Wish there were more like you .

From the 9th grade on, we require all teachers to provide a syllabus at the beginning of each school year detailing the expected timeline and homework and test dates for each course to both the students and the administrators. strangely the only complaints we've received are over the rare occasions when a class is behind schedule, which does happen.

We leave it up to individual teachers to how they want to handle note taking and such.

My son is a senior this year and what you describe is pretty much what they do here from 7th thru 12th grade. The only issue, the teachers do not allow the sacred notebooks to ever leave the confines of the classroom until the end of the school year. The teacher can see how the student is doing, but all mom and dad gets thru an online service is a number grade like 92.5 with a description like "unit 7 quiz". If the student makes good grades, the parents are actually discouraged from scheduling a conference during the parent/teacher conference dates. You can schedule one if you want, but they would prefer you not.

Last edited:

You sound like an excellent and very detail oriented teacher. Wish there were more like you .

From the 9th grade on, we require all teachers to provide a syllabus at the beginning of each school year detailing the expected timeline and homework and test dates for each course to both the students and the administrators. strangely the only complaints we've received are over the rare occasions when a class is behind schedule, which does happen.

We leave it up to individual teachers to how they want to handle note taking and such.

We liked that format and applaud both of you for also utilizing it. Accountability of the student goes a long way. The timeline of course work informs the parents.
My oldest moaned and groaned about it in middle school. All he ever wanted to do was play football. Yes, the wife blamed me!

I'll say that I took Samson's initial posting as asking for more than this, upon reflection I think this is what he was looking for, perhaps even beyond what he was looking for.

Yet you seem to deride his queries for this type of information. What is it the child is doing in class? 'Well, let's look at the notebook...'

My concern as primarily a social studies teacher was the fact that 'big grades' are few and far between. Perhaps 5 or 6 in a trimester, give or take. However, the bulk of my grades were in homework and participation, if those were at A level, even if 'big' grades were toast, the child would pass. If better than 'toast', say a C level, they'd get a C+ or B. 'Big' grades being tests, reports, special projects.

My son is a senior this year and what you describe is pretty much what they do here from 7th thru 12th grade. The only issue, the teachers do not allow the sacred notebooks to ever leave the confines of the classroom until the end of the school year. The teacher can see how the student is doing, but all mom and dad gets thru an online service is a number grade like 92.5 with a description like "unit 7 quiz". If the student makes good grades, the parents are actually discouraged from scheduling a conference during the parent/teacher conference dates. You can schedule one if you want, but they would prefer you not.
To me that would be wrong. The kids need to have their notebooks and handouts to study for tests and do their homework. 6th grade I went through their notebooks about every 3/4 weeks. 7th grade, about every 6/8 weeks. 8th grade just once per trimester. It's a process, not an end point.

If done correctly, which is rated by notebook grade, all they need to know is in their notebook and folder. Their weak points are in contrasting colors, thus for mid-terms, finals, they know where to focus their studies.

To me that would be wrong. The kids need to have their notebooks and handouts to study for tests and do their homework. 6th grade I went through their notebooks about every 3/4 weeks. 7th grade, about every 6/8 weeks. 8th grade just once per trimester. It's a process, not an end point.

If done correctly, which is rated by notebook grade, all they need to know is in their notebook and folder. Their weak points are in contrasting colors, thus for mid-terms, finals, they know where to focus their studies.

So you can understand Samson's frustration that his school system won't allow a parent to see their child's work and just wants them to accept a grade with no context?

Because in 7 out of 10 cases, junior would lose the notebook and then parents would blame teachers for something they had no control over. Yes, once again irresponsible people cost everyone.

I've had a wide variety of "one graded paper/week/class."

I've had only one teacher grade a notebook and send it home every week.

No other teacher has been able to evaluating learning with anything approaching a systematic approach. It is really no great stretch of my imagination to believe that the average 16 year old hasn't the faintest clue how they are evaluated or what the expectations are to be successful in class.

Each teacher does submit a syllabus in the beginning of the year. The weighting of grades is detailed (usually daily grades are 40% and tests are 60%), but there is no timeline as to WHEN grades will be taken, or which type, or how often. Frankly, this is somewhat immaterial to me: am I supposed to recall that a quiz about linear equations, or photosynthesis, or The Battle of Lexington, or the theme of October Sky is going to be given tomorrow? Fuck No. That's the student's, not the parent's job.

MY only job is to get the graded work (notebook, test, lab, quiz, worksheet, warmup, etc., etc.), and reinforce/reward success or reinforce/punish failure. Research has revealed that this is effective only on a frequent basis, and only if the graded work is returned within 48 hours of the work being completed.

So you can understand Samson's frustration that his school system won't allow a parent to see their child's work and just wants them to accept a grade with no context?

If I understand his perspective, it seems that there is a lack of graded or results of what is going on weekly in class. He wants at least one 'graded' paper, my guess is he would be happy to know what is going on in class, including corrections, additions, discussions. My initial reaction was he was playing 'gotcha' with teachers, not going to be surprised if that is the reaction of board too. However, I'm guessing it's feedback he's looking for.

No other teacher has been able to evaluating learning with anything approaching a systematic approach. It is really no great stretch of my imagination to believe that the average 16 year old hasn't the faintest clue how they are evaluated or what the expectations are to be successful in class.

Each teacher does submit a syllabus in the beginning of the year. The weighting of grades is detailed (usually daily grades are 40% and tests are 60%), but there is no timeline as to WHEN grades will be taken, or which type, or how often. Frankly, this is somewhat immaterial to me: am I supposed to recall that a quiz about linear equations, or photosynthesis, or The Battle of Lexington, or the theme of October Sky is going to be given tomorrow? Fuck No. That's the student's, not the parent's job.

MY only job is to get the graded work (notebook, test, lab, quiz, worksheet, warmup, etc., etc.), and reinforce/reward success or reinforce/punish failure. Research has revealed that this is effective only on a frequent basis, and only if the graded work is returned within 48 hours of the work being completed.

I agree. It's part of 'good practices.' All teachers should be adhering to a version of it.

If I understand his perspective, it seems that there is a lack of graded or results of what is going on weekly in class. He wants at least one 'graded' paper, my guess is he would be happy to know what is going on in class, including corrections, additions, discussions. My initial reaction was he was playing 'gotcha' with teachers, not going to be surprised if that is the reaction of board too. However, I'm guessing it's feedback he's looking for.

Apparently some teachers had the same impression that you do: That I want to have a copy of their lesson plan.

This is not what I want. I don't care what was discussed....UNLESS IT RESULTED in a graded evaluation that demonstrates that SOMETHING was learned during the discussion. I'm not really looking for quality here, which makes the resistance to providing quantity even more astonishing. I had one teacher who was bold enough to put a grade on a paper that had nothing more on it that lines numbered 1-10!! Was the evaluation to see if the 16 year old could count to 10? Write the numbers in order?

Who knows?

Did the teacher do what I wanted? Yes

Could the paper be used as evidence that the teacher is grading work that has nothing to do with American History?

If you believe it is the student's job then what is your bitch?
We never reward or punish our kid's work. We were out of that equation.
Accountability of a 16 year old is THEY accept what they get.

You're beginning to strike me as one of the reading impaired.

Start reading the fucking post and get a clue: I'll walk your retard-ass through this ONCE:

1. It's the student's job to know WTF they'll be graded on

2. It's My job to reinforce good grades, or punish bad grades

If you didn't participate in the accountability of YOUR 16 year old, then good for you: BRAVO. My parents never had to participate either, but guess what?? Maybe it's a fuckin' revelation to you, but everyone is not you!!

:eusa_hand:

Jeeze, I'd encourage you to imagine that, but I'm not sure you have the two braincells necessary to rub together to make it happen.

Start reading the fucking post and get a clue: I'll walk your retard-ass through this ONCE:

If you didn't participate in the accountability of YOUR 16 year old, then good for you: BRAVO. My parents never had to participate either, but guess what?? Maybe it's a fuckin' revelation to you, but everyone is not you!!

Jeeze, I'd encourage you to imagine that, but I'm not sure you have the two braincells necessary to rub together to make it happen.

Hey good man, do what you want and that is fine with me.
YOU, not me, are the one that threw this out for us to comment on.
I agree with you. It is your job to do as you want to as you are the parent.
How is it working for you?

Hey good man, do what you want and that is fine with me.
YOU, not me, are the one that threw this out for us to comment on.
I agree with you. It is your job to do as you want to as you are the parent.
How is it working for you?

IF Samson is such a paragon of rewarding good grades and punishing bad, then WHY is he still worrying about his 10th grader failing? By that age the child should know the consequences should he bring home a bad report card without daddy having to see weekly progress. Unless said child is learning impaired, in which case I do not approve of grade based rewards and punishments.

Samson -

Just an idea. Why not allow the teachers to attach ALL assignments for the week to the weekly progress report and not just those that are graded? If you are interested in what is being taught and what the kids are doing, why not include notes and other class activities that do not get graded?

I am co-teaching two classes with an outstanding teacher. My only beef with her is that she does not return papers frequently. Because we have so many absences, she waits until all the kids have made up the work, so they just don't copy. She gets herself overwhelmed with paperwork because she grades almost daily. That's not how it works in my own classes. I check to see if assignments are done, and explain wrong answers as needed. It's just a different method of assessment. Independent work, without teacher guidance, are homework and tests.

Certainly the notes and teacher guided instruction would show whether or not the "assessment ie. tests" are connected to what is being taught. Isn't that what you are looking for?

Forum List

Back