I Hate Walmarts

Sweat shop labor is better than no labor at all.

:eusa_eh:

As morally bankrupt as it sounds, it's true. I would rather work in a sweatshop than starve to death.

Buying foreign doesn't automatically equate to supporting child labor and sweatshops, which was implied in the OP. US corporations on average pay a higher wage for labor in developing countries than the domestic firms in those countries.

I'm skeptical of the idea that child labor and sweatshop manufacturing is wide spread for imported products into America. It's a juicy news story, and off the top of my head both Nike and Gap have gotten flack for the practice, and stopped doing it.

do you have any clue how much time i waste trying to buy american? o and add to that the comments i get. I have one damned cookie sheet cause i cannot find one made in america...i remember when nc was a textile area...try buying towels made in american...any type of linens for that matter...i go into the finer stores...its still all made in ______________ (fill in any asia country)

Thank your liberal friends for that, Bones. Shut down industry, people are still going to buy stuff.

I love Walmart. It gave its workers insurance before it was law to do so, and is a primary employer in my hometown. I would no more boycott it than I would boycott the local lumber industry. If one still existed.

And I've never been in a Wal Mart that was clean, well lit, laid out with any common sense or smelled decent for that matter. So why go? :doubt:

I have to essentially agree with you when it comes to Walmart - I've always tended to avoid them "at all costs" because they're a shopping nightmare. However, in my little town we had a Walmart Super Store open a year or two ago and local business is thriving - and much to my surprise - our Walmart doesn't stink, it's laid out well, the place is not that crowded (the parking lot is usually about 1/3 to 1/2 full), aisles are wide and clean, the various departments look like there are "clean-up fairies" all over the place - merchandise is not left on the floor, items on the shelves stay folded where they belong, the employees are friendly and the consumers are polite and friendly. The only department were I carefully shop is the meat and produce section - I'm not sure that I ever buy their meats.

most walmart haters are certainly not business majors, I doubt many of them have seen the inside of a real college.

Buy American... Good idea, "if"... American made stuff wasn't so high priced due to the inflated salaries that union members demand. There are pros and cons associated with shopping at Wal-mart. It's true that the majority of their stuff is made outside of America but America produces so little things "made in America" because of the cost of union labor. Wal-mart employs a lot of people in my area that would not have a job if it wasn't for them. There is a Wal-mart distribution warehouse not so far away from where I live. I know many people who work there. The pay there isn't great but if you don't farm, in my part of the world the jobs are few and far between. Everybody bitches and moans about Wal-mart but if they closed up shop today, there would be a large amount of people out of a job across America. So, whine about that. You can't have your cake and eat it too. It's a very noble thing to "Buy American" and I wish we lived in the time again when just about everything we purchased was made in America but these days very little is produced here and it gets worse every day. Quit whining.

it is a vicious cycle, we want to pay less for stuff and it results in us being paid less and on and on.

WE are to blame for starting and feeding this mess.

Educated people know that 3rd world countries raising themselves up to the industiralized world means an increasing pie.

Buy American... Good idea, "if"... American made stuff wasn't so high priced due to the inflated salaries that union members demand. There are pros and cons associated with shopping at Wal-mart. It's true that the majority of their stuff is made outside of America but America produces so little things "made in America" because of the cost of union labor. Wal-mart employs a lot of people in my area that would not have a job if it wasn't for them. There is a Wal-mart distribution warehouse not so far away from where I live. I know many people who work there. The pay there isn't great but if you don't farm, in my part of the world the jobs are few and far between. Everybody bitches and moans about Wal-mart but if they closed up shop today, there would be a large amount of people out of a job across America. So, whine about that. You can't have your cake and eat it too. It's a very noble thing to "Buy American" and I wish we lived in the time again when just about everything we purchased was made in America but these days very little is produced here and it gets worse every day. Quit whining.

it is a vicious cycle, we want to pay less for stuff and it results in us being paid less and on and on.

WE are to blame for starting and feeding this mess.

There ARE things that Wal-mart doesn't sell.

Adult Toys, for example.

Forum List

Back