I hate doing traffic spots

Nor do we really need you.

Clients will always insist on writing their own copy sometimes. And when it comes down to it, the extra 2 seconds isn't worth losing a contract over.

But actually, I'm sure that we could afford you. It would just be pay disproportionate to the job requirements.

I don't get out of bed for this kind of work. I don't do 'advertising' copy.

Neither does our news guy.

:lol: The wonders of modern technology.

You need to work on your sales pitch, California Girl. Don't be too obvious, but casually imply that you'd be interested in redrafting the blurb Radioman has to read on-air. For a fee. And don't forget to mention expenses.

They can't afford me.

Clients will always insist on writing their own copy sometimes. And when it comes down to it, the extra 2 seconds isn't worth losing a contract over.

Out of curiosity, why don't you give them a word count instead of lines?

They can't afford me.

Out of curiosity, why don't you give them a word count instead of lines?

Word count is more unreliable.

It takes longer to say the word "disestablishmentarianism" than it does to say the word "two".

The line method is probably about as accurate as you can get for scripts that have to be read out loud.

But actually, I'm sure that we could afford you. It would just be pay disproportionate to the job requirements.

A girl who I dislike used to be a radio news person. I told her a 10 year old could do her job. :lol::lol::lol: News readers.... basically, they read for a living. That's hard! :lol::lol:

And.... last year, I did a couple of 'jiggles' for a friend of mine who has does a country music program on a local radio station - it took me 10 minutes to do 4 jiggles. One take each.

* Jiggles is a bit of a joke - that's what he calls them.

Last edited:

A girl who I dislike used to be a radio news person. I told her a 10 year old could do her job. :lol::lol::lol: News readers.... basically, they read for a living. That's hard! :lol::lol:

And.... last year, I did a couple of 'jiggles' for a friend of mine who has does a country music program on a local radio station - it took me 10 minutes to do 4 jiggles. One take each.

There are two things that are "hard" (and I use that word loosely) about radio news reads.

1) Getting the newscast to exactly xxxx amount of time (not always a requirement, but can be)

and

2) Pronunciation. Sometimes the people with the whackiest names get into the news.

* Jiggles is a bit of a joke - that's what he calls them.

Are jiggles, jingles?

Get yourself a stopwatch. See if you can do this in :10 or less, and sound decent and not rushed, and properly enunciated.

"Toyota Owners, now's the time to get new tires at your local toyota dealer's tire sale.
October 30th through November 6th, buy 3 tires and the fourth is on them.
Nothing compares to the expertise of toyota's factory trained technicians.
See dealer for details".

I also like how they use numbers instead of writing the word out. And use "thru" instead of "through". Makes the script seem shorter so it will fit in the maximum of 4 lines allowed. Still takes the same amount of time to say, dumbasses.
That's crazy. Not possible in ten seconds.

I could do it ten seconds, but then I would sound like a cattle auctioneer.
I got it in around 10 seconds. Actually, an extra second would have made it perfect. But that extra second is money, and we can't have that.

I could do it ten seconds, but then I would sound like a cattle auctioneer.
I got it in around 10 seconds. Actually, an extra second would have made it perfect. But that extra second is money, and we can't have that.

If you properly enunciated it, you could have a job in radio :D

The extra second is what helped with that.

I ran through it like 4 or 5 times before I got it down.

I'm from NJ though, we naturally talk fast here.

Get yourself a stopwatch. See if you can do this in :10 or less, and sound decent and not rushed, and properly enunciated.
"Toyota Owners, now's the time to get new tires at your local toyota dealer's tire sale.
See dealer for details".
I did it in under 9 seconds, wasn't so hard. Here I go, check it out:

"Toyota Owners, now's the time to get new tires at your local Toyota dealer's tire sale.
Nothing compares to the expertise of Toyotas' factory trained technicians.
See dealer for details".

Stop watch says: 8.78 seconds. Maybe you just need more training?

not srs.

See dealer for details".

I also like how they use numbers instead of writing the word out. And use "thru" instead of "through". Makes the script seem shorter so it will fit in the maximum of 4 lines allowed. Still takes the same amount of time to say, dumbasses.

Awwww ... poor Radio. It will get better. $goodboy.gif

See dealer for details".

Awwww ... poor Radio. It will get better. View attachment 11706

It did.

I finished :D

Now I'm VT'ing tonights shift.

Had a chum who used to do the traffic spots from a helicopter.

He seemed to like it pretty well.

Audacity, and I'm sure other recording tools, have a tempo option where you can shave some time off your spot, and it just sounds like you are talking faster.

If it sounds silly to hear someone talking that fast, it's not your fault.

You're lucky to be working in radio, dude. It's a nasty bidness now.

Forum List

Back