I hate doing traffic spots

Audacity, and I'm sure other recording tools, have a tempo option where you can shave some time off your spot, and it just sounds like you are talking faster.

If it sounds silly to hear someone talking that fast, it's not your fault.

You're lucky to be working in radio, dude. It's a nasty bidness now.

I have Adobe Audition, which is like the big boy version of Audicity. I could have sped it up, but shaving even a second off of an :11 spot makes me sound ridiculous.

Audacity, and I'm sure other recording tools, have a tempo option where you can shave some time off your spot, and it just sounds like you are talking faster.

I have Adobe Audition, which is like the big boy version of Audicity. I could have sped it up, but shaving even a second off of an :11 spot makes me sound ridiculous.

Pro Tools is the "big boy" version.

They're all the same if the only thing you're doing is changing the tempo of a track.

I sometimes listen to a station that broadcasts traffic spots from California. The fellow who does them reads so fast that it's impossible to derive any clear information from them, even if I listen intently. It's always just a few (I assume ten) seconds of babble that sounds like a tobacco auctioneer.

I often have the impresssion that he knows how it sounds but he just doesn't care. It's as if his attitude is; If this is what you want -- here it is. Having read what you've had to say about it I understand the situation more clearly.

Get yourself a stopwatch. See if you can do this in :10 or less, and sound decent and not rushed, and properly enunciated.

"Toyota Owners, now's the time to get new tires at your local toyota dealer's tire sale.
October 30th through November 6th, buy 3 tires and the fourth is on them.
Nothing compares to the expertise of toyota's factory trained technicians.
See dealer for details".

I also like how they use numbers instead of writing the word out. And use "thru" instead of "through". Makes the script seem shorter so it will fit in the maximum of 4 lines allowed. Still takes the same amount of time to say, dumbasses.

I was able to say it in 8.59 seconds...and my deep, resonant voice gave it a nice touch.

"Toyota Owners, now's the time to get new tires at your local toyota dealer's tire sale.
October 30th through November 6th, buy 3 tires and the fourth is on them.
Nothing compares to the expertise of toyota's factory trained technicians.
See dealer for details".

It should say:

"Buy three...get one free!
That's what Toyota dealers are saying about tires
from October 30th thru Nov 6th.
Confused? Ask dealer for details!"

If you want to gear the commercial to the Africans Living In America, change the last sentence to "AXE dealer for details."

Last edited:
It's ironic that, at the end of radio car commercials, the announcer by law has to explain the details of a financing offer. Speed reading at its finest LOL.

Hey Radio, have you tried recording the spot then compressing the audio just a tad?

It's ironic that, at the end of radio car commercials, the announcer by law has to explain the details of a financing offer. Speed reading at its finest LOL.

Hey Radio, have you tried recording the spot then compressing the audio just a tad?

Compression doesn't alter an audio track's time length.

Adjusting the tempo or the pitch would, but he already said that adjusting the tempo didn't give desirable results.

We have that too.

But it's not made by the same company. Audacity and Audition are both made by Adobe, and have nearly identical user interfaces. Except Audition has about 10 times the capabilities as Audacity.

Thats why I call it the big boy version. They're nearly the same, but one is more grown up than the other.

But either way, shaving 0:01:50 off of a spot, the programs are identical when it comes to end product.

Compressing the audio changes the sound and not the speed.

But changing the speed by roughly 11% makes the audio sound horrible. Which makes me sound horrible. I don't like me to sound horrible. I would rather me get a whiney "ya know these are supposed to be :10" email than me sound horrible.

But changing the speed by roughly 11% makes the audio sound horrible. Which makes me sound horrible. I don't like me to sound horrible. I would rather me get a whiney "ya know these are supposed to be :10" email than me sound horrible.

When you say "horrible" what do you mean?

Are you preserving pitch when time stretching, tempo adjusting, whatever, or are you allowing the stretch to alter the pitch and sound chipmunky?

I hate doing traffic spots

Me too!

08_TrafficCongestion.jpg

Are you preserving pitch when time stretching, tempo adjusting, whatever, or are you allowing the stretch to alter the pitch and sound chipmunky?

It just takes out dead spots. Mine sounds like I'm talking pretty damn fast, but not like a chipmunk.

Reading these replies, it looks like your only option is to tell the boss fuck-it, this is what you get.
You reach a point where you do your listeners a disservice. Keep them happy, keep your revenues.

LOL.

It's supposed to sound natural, so no chipmunky. Which means I have to preserve the pitch. Doing that, and shaving :11 off makes it sound...well....just weird and choppy-like computerized. Still not natural enough. And makes me sound horrible.

I just went with 00:11:30, and let it fly.

It just takes out dead spots. Mine sounds like I'm talking pretty damn fast, but not like a chipmunk.

I took out the dead spots manually already. :D

So the 00:11:30 was already edited down with no dead spots.

Forum List

Back