I hate doing traffic spots

I would bet it was easy this morning - the middle morning of a three-day holiday weekend.

Not quite the same thing.

I'm recording all the :10 blurbs that say "This traffic report brought to you by...." for the remainder of October and half of November.

Problem is the salespeople who write this shit up turn it into a blivet. Trying to cram :15 or :20 worth of script into the :10 allotted.

Then I hear it from them and the program director "Why did you sound crammed and rushed?"

If I don't cram it, I hear it from the General Manager "Our product is time, you don't give the client extra".

bleh bleh.....

Get yourself a stopwatch. See if you can do this in :10 or less, and sound decent and not rushed, and properly enunciated.

"Toyota Owners, now's the time to get new tires at your local toyota dealer's tire sale.
October 30th through November 6th, buy 3 tires and the fourth is on them.
Nothing compares to the expertise of toyota's factory trained technicians.
See dealer for details".

I also like how they use numbers instead of writing the word out. And use "thru" instead of "through". Makes the script seem shorter so it will fit in the maximum of 4 lines allowed. Still takes the same amount of time to say, dumbasses.

Get yourself a stopwatch. See if you can do this in :10 or less, and sound decent and not rushed, and properly enunciated.

"Toyota Owners, now's the time to get new tires at your local toyota dealer's tire sale.
See dealer for details".

I also like how they use numbers instead of writing the word out. And use "thru" instead of "through". Makes the script seem shorter so it will fit in the maximum of 4 lines allowed. Still takes the same amount of time to say, dumbasses.
That's crazy. Not possible in ten seconds.

See dealer for details".

I could do it ten seconds, but then I would sound like a cattle auctioneer.

See dealer for details".

I could do it ten seconds, but then I would sound like a cattle auctioneer.
I can't and enunciate to my satisfaction. I bet it does sound hokey for those who can.

See dealer for details".

Get better writers. That script is crap. Too much wastage on words. I could shorten that script in less than 30 seconds and make it waaaay better.

See dealer for details".

Get better writers. That script is crap. Too much wastage on words. I could shorten that script in less than 30 seconds and make it waaaay better.

The writer is the salesperson.

Or sometimes the client, and the salesperson says "yeah, we can do that, uh-huh, no problem, hand me the check so I can get my commission".

Always has been this way, probably always will. *shrug* I'm just bitchin' to bitch really. I could shorten the script too, but it's not what the client paid for. So if I did that I'd get bitched at as well.

Last edited:

See dealer for details".

The writer is the salesperson.

Or sometimes the client, and the salesperson says "yeah, we can do that, uh-huh, no problem, hand me the check so I can get my commission".

Always has been this way, probably always will. *shrug* I'm just bitchin' to bitch really.

Sales is the opposite skill to solid writing. That's where the process fails. I feel your pain.

You need to work on your sales pitch, California Girl. Don't be too obvious, but casually imply that you'd be interested in redrafting the blurb Radioman has to read on-air. For a fee. And don't forget to mention expenses.

You need to work on your sales pitch, California Girl. Don't be too obvious, but casually imply that you'd be interested in redrafting the blurb Radioman has to read on-air. For a fee. And don't forget to mention expenses.

They can't afford me.

They can't afford me.

Nor do we really need you.

Clients will always insist on writing their own copy sometimes. And when it comes down to it, the extra 2 seconds isn't worth losing a contract over.

They can't afford me.

Clients will always insist on writing their own copy sometimes. And when it comes down to it, the extra 2 seconds isn't worth losing a contract over.

But actually, I'm sure that we could afford you. It would just be pay disproportionate to the job requirements.

They can't afford me.

But actually, I'm sure that we could afford you. It would just be pay disproportionate to the job requirements.

I don't get out of bed for this kind of work. I don't do 'advertising' copy.

Forum List

Back