*I Drive Slow On Freeways 55 MPH*

What the hell is "bumper pressure"? :dunno:

I dunno but anybody who uses the right lane to pass should be burned alive and their ashes put in a rocket and shot into the sun. Clearly you've never been a truck driver.

Nope, never been a truck driver...but I've passed a lot of trucks on the right....if you are going +5 in the left lane, and I'm behind you, and it's clear to me that you've decided to stay in the left lane until you can pass that next vehicle that's going +6 in the right lane, and I can get by you I will. By the time I pass your cab and get back into the left lane I'll be going +10 and you won't even have to slow down.

Bumper pressure is riding close to a vehicle in the left lane to insure that they understand you'd like to get by.

I dunno but anybody who uses the right lane to pass should be burned alive and their ashes put in a rocket and shot into the sun. Clearly you've never been a truck driver.

Bumper pressure is when the impatient Ricky Racer comes up on someone going slower than them in the fast/passing lane and rides their bumper in an attempt to get them to speed up or move right.
As for passing in the right lane some drivers make it a necessity, the ones I call, "I pay my taxes and I'll drive what speed I choose in the lane I choose" and refuse to move into the right lane. Ya have to get around them somehow. Thankfully they'll eventually get a ticket because in most states the left lane is now a passing lane only.

From your lips to state troopers' ears -- sadly this practice is rampant and I don't think I've ever seen or heard of anybody getting nailed for it, ever. Not in this country anyway. If traffic safety really was the goal they'd be looking at this more than people doing speeds that exceed a number just for the sake of the letter of the law and their quota.

Me, if somebody's going 42 in the left lane I take the next left lane. I see way more clowns than I can count going around to the right even though they have a left lane to use. It's a mass ignorance. The problem with that, if it needs to be spelled out, is the blind spot.

Last edited:

Bumper pressure is when the impatient Ricky Racer comes up on someone going slower than them in the fast/passing lane and rides their bumper in an attempt to get them to speed up or move right.
As for passing in the right lane some drivers make it a necessity, the ones I call, "I pay my taxes and I'll drive what speed I choose in the lane I choose" and refuse to move into the right lane. Ya have to get around them somehow. Thankfully they'll eventually get a ticket because in most states the left lane is now a passing lane only.

From your lips to state troopers' ears -- sadly this practice is rampant and I don't think I've ever seen or heard of anybody getting nailed for it, ever. Not in this country anyway. If traffic safety really was the goal they'd be looking at this more than people doing speeds that exceed a number just for the sake of the letter of the law and their quota.

Me, if somebody's going 42 in the left lane I take the next left lane. I see way more clowns than I can count going around to the right even though they have a left lane to use. It's a mass ignorance. The problem with that, if it needs to be spelled out, is the blind spot.

I would take the "next left lane" too if there was such a thing....but I live in Iowa where for the most part it's just two lanes of traffic in each direction.

Nope, never been a truck driver...but I've passed a lot of trucks on the right....if you are going +5 in the left lane, and I'm behind you, and it's clear to me that you've decided to stay in the left lane until you can pass that next vehicle that's going +6 in the right lane, and I can get by you I will. By the time I pass your cab and get back into the left lane I'll be going +10 and you won't even have to slow down.

Bumper pressure is riding close to a vehicle in the left lane to insure that they understand you'd like to get by.

Then you're an idiot. Trucks can't see you over there. They have no reason to not start gliding over. And you can't predict that.

And by 'bumper pressure' you mean tailgating. You're a double idiot. Apparently you're one of those clowns who thinks it's all about Numero Uno and fuck everybody else. I hate to wish this on anybody but you have a date with your own consequences. And you can't predict that either.

Last edited:

Then you're an idiot. Trucks can't see you over there. They have no reason to not start gliding over. And you can't predict that.

And by 'bumper pressure' you mean tailgating. You're a double idiot. Apparently you're one of those clowns who thinks it's all about Numero Uno and fuck everybody else. I hate to wish this on anybody but you have a date with your own consequences. And you can't predict that either.

You are right...it's not perfectly predictable, but it's never happened to me, ever, if it did I would either brake back, or just move over to the brake down lane.

Bumper pressure does mean tailgating, for me likely in the ten foot range. But I concentrate pretty intensly when doing this, and my brakes are better than virtually any car I encounter in Iowa, and again, I've never had an accident, ever (I'm about 50).

You don't have to worry about wishing consequences on me....I'll deal with any that come, and they occasionally do in the form of speeding tickets.

As for me being an idiot...in this particular behavior set that may be true, though it's never born any consquence of note.

As for me being "Numero Uno"...a matter of perception I suppose, but from my perspective folks who drive for extended periods in the left hand lane (which I don't) are just as selfish as I am for wanting to drive +10 on the highway.

I don't see why the rush? I never exceed the speed limit, and always drive in the middle lane, or right lane for 2 lane highways. Of course I drive a pickup truck, and not a fancy sports car, but even then, I'd still stay within the speed limit, and never pass on the right!

In the past I noticed that LA has a fair share of aggressive drivers for some reason. They constantly pass on the right instead of the left, and make it hard to merge into oncoming traffic.

I don't see why the rush? I never exceed the speed limit, and always drive in the middle lane, or right lane for 2 lane highways. Of course I drive a pickup truck, and not a fancy sports car, but even then, I'd still stay within the speed limit, and never pass on the right!

In the past I noticed that LA has a fair share of aggressive drivers for some reason. They constantly pass on the right instead of the left, and make it hard to merge into oncoming traffic.

Passing on the right is mostly illegal in Germany and you pay a heavy fine if you pass on the right and get caught: there are only a few exceptions, depending on the markings on the highway lanes:

Rechts überholen erlaubt? / ¦ \ FAHRTIPPS.DE

You are right...it's not perfectly predictable, but it's never happened to me, ever, if it did I would either brake back, or just move over to the brake down lane.

Bumper pressure does mean tailgating, for me likely in the ten foot range. But I concentrate pretty intensly when doing this, and my brakes are better than virtually any car I encounter in Iowa, and again, I've never had an accident, ever (I'm about 50).

You don't have to worry about wishing consequences on me....I'll deal with any that come, and they occasionally do in the form of speeding tickets.

As for me being an idiot...in this particular behavior set that may be true, though it's never born any consquence of note.

As for me being "Numero Uno"...a matter of perception I suppose, but from my perspective folks who drive for extended periods in the left hand lane (which I don't) are just as selfish as I am for wanting to drive +10 on the highway.

I don't see your chosen speed as 'selfish'. You do what you want as far as speed, doesn't matter to me.

What I see as 'selfish' is this egocentric idea that basic safety rules just don't apply to Numero Uno. One of those is passing on the right. Another is tailgating. Ironically both of them put you in danger more than anybody else, so it's not about the results; it's about the attitude that one's own self is paramount and screw everybody else.

I'm willing to bet you're one of the assclowns who zips ahead on a construction merge on the shoulder and then looks for an enabler to let you in instead of waiting your turn like everybody else. :rolleyes:

Passing on the right is mostly illegal in Germany and you pay a heavy fine if you pass on the right and get caught: there are only a few exceptions, depending on the markings on the highway lanes:

Rechts überholen erlaubt? / ¦ \ FAHRTIPPS.DE

Germany has it right. Wish LE would get their act together and do that here.

Sorry bout that,

1. So here I go, tooling along the freeway in my 1900's Toyota van, in the slow lane just rocking and a rolling along listening to some tunes going down the freeway at my usual legal speed, 55 MPH legal coast to coast, in the far right lane doing my thang,...
2. But you know what?
3. Speeding drivers ride up in my ass, then slow down to hug my bumper then they blow by me yelling shit, some times honking, even big rigs, they honk me, pulling their fucking hair out and cut me off, to take back my slow lane, like I give a fuck!
4. The other lanes are open to them, usually, but they fly up to me in the slow lane, I watch these morons as they approach, wondering if this jackass will ram me, and if they do they going to get a surprise too.
5. They complain when people do 55 MPH, in the fast lane, and complain if I go 55 mph in the slow lane, fuck all you dumb bastards in a hurry to die on the freeways!:badgrin:
6. Your turn go, explain why I should be speeding like these crazy bastards?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

You need a Batman car....that shoots out broken glass, nails, oil, anything to discourage these a*holes from tailgating you. As long as you're in the slow lane, they shouldn't do that, unless there is only one lane and you are hogging it....then, they should tailgate you, maybe even push you out of the way....:D

I don't see your chosen speed as 'selfish'. You do what you want as far as speed, doesn't matter to me.

What I see as 'selfish' is this egocentric idea that basic safety rules just don't apply to Numero Uno. One of those is passing on the right. Another is tailgating. Ironically both of them put you in danger more than anybody else, so it's not about the results; it's about the attitude that one's own self is paramount and screw everybody else.

I'm willing to bet you're one of the assclowns who zips ahead on a construction merge on the shoulder and then looks for an enabler to let you in instead of waiting your turn like everybody else. :rolleyes:

Not on the shoulder no, but I do go as far as possible in the lane that will be closing.

I appreciate your perspective on speed vs right hand passing, or tailgating.

I've never, ever been pulled over for passing on the right, or for following too close, despite the fact that I do both of these relatively frequently, actually passing on the right is more common for me lately as I find it's not worth the bother to tailgate more and more as other drivers are busy on their cell phones, or even worse texting, to bother to look in the rearview mirror. But I do have some funny stories about being pulled over for speed.

As far as not being about the results....if the behavior puts me in the most danger, how could it be about anything but the results? (especially when the laws are not enforced anyway?)

Appreciate the considerate discussion!

They had an unofficial designation in the DC Metro area as the right lane being the passing lane. If you ever drove there you'd understand. :lol: I usually do around 5 MPH over the limit, if I'm in the right lane passing and someone is coming up on my tail going faster I speed up and move over out of courtesy, I'm not a self appointed speed control Fuehrer. The only time I pass on the right is when the person driving in the left lane will not show courtesy to the other drivers by moving over, then I wait till it's safe and pass. Thankfully it's very rare. Not long ago I did that and the cop two cars behind me pulled over the slow poke who wouldn't move out of the way, I was the tenth car that was forced to pass on the right and we were all going over the speed limit except the slow poke.
If someone is in the right lane driving slow then no problem here, if I get stuck behind him/her I back off until I can safely move to the passing lane and resume my speed.

My biggest pet peeve is when I'm passing someone and they start to match my speed, lazy mind, lazy foot...... I also take issue with the speed demons who come flying up in the passing lane then suddenly slow down to match my speed sitting on my rear quarter panel until they wake up and speed back up. Again, lazy mind, lazy foot.

They had an unofficial designation in the DC Metro area as the right lane being the passing lane. If you ever drove there you'd understand. :lol: I usually do around 5 MPH over the limit, if I'm in the right lane passing and someone is coming up on my tail going faster I speed up and move over out of courtesy, I'm not a self appointed speed control Fuehrer. The only time I pass on the right is when the person driving in the left lane will not show courtesy to the other drivers by moving over, then I wait till it's safe and pass. Thankfully it's very rare. Not long ago I did that and the cop two cars behind me pulled over the slow poke who wouldn't move out of the way, I was the tenth car that was forced to pass on the right and we were all going over the speed limit except the slow poke.
If someone is in the right lane driving slow then no problem here, if I get stuck behind him/her I back off until I can safely move to the passing lane and resume my speed.

My biggest pet peeve is when I'm passing someone and they start to match my speed, lazy mind, lazy foot...... I also take issue with the speed demons who come flying up in the passing lane then suddenly slow down to match my speed sitting on my rear quarter panel until they wake up and speed back up. Again, lazy mind, lazy foot.

Also one of my pet peeves, when I'm driving 10+ and some one passes me it's usually less than 15 minutes until I pass them again. (with cruise control on mind you), most folks don't have the ability to concentrate on maintaining a constant speed when they are traveling that fast, and they don't seem to want to use cruise control at that speed either.

I as well as you will speed up, and move over when I'm passing on the left and someone behind me clearly wants to go faster.

They had an unofficial designation in the DC Metro area as the right lane being the passing lane. If you ever drove there you'd understand. :lol: I usually do around 5 MPH over the limit, if I'm in the right lane passing and someone is coming up on my tail going faster I speed up and move over out of courtesy, I'm not a self appointed speed control Fuehrer. The only time I pass on the right is when the person driving in the left lane will not show courtesy to the other drivers by moving over, then I wait till it's safe and pass. Thankfully it's very rare. Not long ago I did that and the cop two cars behind me pulled over the slow poke who wouldn't move out of the way, I was the tenth car that was forced to pass on the right and we were all going over the speed limit except the slow poke. If someone is in the right lane driving slow then no problem here, if I get stuck behind him/her I back off until I can safely move to the passing lane and resume my speed.

The driver that was pulled over was no doubt pulled over for driving in the passing lane. I don't believe he was pulled over for going too slow. The only time you'd get pulled over for going too slow would be if you're driving considerably less than the speed limit, and posing a hazard on the highway. For instance doing 25 in a 65 zone.

Last edited:

Not on the shoulder no, but I do go as far as possible in the lane that will be closing.

I appreciate your perspective on speed vs right hand passing, or tailgating.

I've never, ever been pulled over for passing on the right, or for following too close, despite the fact that I do both of these relatively frequently

That's a sad commentary on the state of traffic enforcement.

Also one of my pet peeves, when I'm driving 10+ and some one passes me it's usually less than 15 minutes until I pass them again. (with cruise control on mind you), most folks don't have the ability to concentrate on maintaining a constant speed when they are traveling that fast, and they don't seem to want to use cruise control at that speed either.

I as well as you will speed up, and move over when I'm passing on the left and someone behind me clearly wants to go faster.

Neither constant speed nor cruise control are preferable ends in and of themselves. Cruise control will compensate for hills trying to maintain speed on an upgrade (which means more energy expended) and then will engine-brake (drag) on downgrades (which wastes the free energy of gravity). Both of those cost fuel efficiency.

Constant throttle (within reason) is far more efficient; the vehicle will naturally lose speed on the upgrade (so what?) and gain it coming down (free energy). I've pulled my best readings this way, busted 50mpg in three different cars.

So a car passes you and you pass him later -- so what? You have no position to dictate how fast another driver goes as long as he's not impeding you.

I use CC only if I'm on a flat road and tired of holding the same accelerator position. If it's not flat I have to start uncompensating for the CC compensation. I'd rather have an arrangement like my old Fiat 124 had -- a throttle cable you could pull out that held the accelerator at a specific point. Far more efficient, and wouldn't gun the engine trying to keep a constant speed up a hill, which is about the most inefficient way you can drive.

Having said all that --- :lol:
It's not necessarily the technique that car that passes you and then slows up is using. I find there are a whole lot of drivers who feel they have to pass you for the simple reason that you exist. "There is a car. Must pass car". I'm sure this has to do with testosterone poisoning. These drivers are almost never female.

Last edited:
Sorry bout that,

1. So here I go, tooling along the freeway in my 1900's Toyota van, in the slow lane just rocking and a rolling along listening to some tunes going down the freeway at my usual legal speed, 55 MPH legal coast to coast, in the far right lane doing my thang,...
2. But you know what?
3. Speeding drivers ride up in my ass, then slow down to hug my bumper then they blow by me yelling shit, some times honking, even big rigs, they honk me, pulling their fucking hair out and cut me off, to take back my slow lane, like I give a fuck!
4. The other lanes are open to them, usually, but they fly up to me in the slow lane, I watch these morons as they approach, wondering if this jackass will ram me, and if they do they going to get a surprise too.
5. They complain when people do 55 MPH, in the fast lane, and complain if I go 55 mph in the slow lane, fuck all you dumb bastards in a hurry to die on the freeways!:badgrin:
6. Your turn go, explain why I should be speeding like these crazy bastards?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas
Sec. 545.363. MINIMUM SPEED REGULATIONS. (a) An operator may not drive so slowly as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.
(b) When the Texas Transportation Commission, the Texas Turnpike Authority, the commissioners court of a county, or the governing body of a municipality, within the jurisdiction of each, as applicable, as specified in Sections 545.353 to 545.357, determines from the results of an engineering and traffic investigation that slow speeds on a part of a highway consistently impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the commission, authority, county commissioners court, or governing body may determine and declare a minimum speed limit on the highway.
(c) If appropriate signs are erected giving notice of a minimum speed limit adopted under this section, an operator may not drive a vehicle more slowly than that limit except as necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

If you impede traffic with your silly display of 'I own the road' you are subject to citation, nay guaranteed one, if I happen to be behind you and traffic is fubar because of your action.

Last edited:

Neither constant speed nor cruise control are preferable ends in and of themselves. Cruise control will compensate for hills trying to maintain speed on an upgrade (which means more energy expended) and then will engine-brake (drag) on downgrades (which wastes the free energy of gravity). Both of those cost fuel efficiency.

Constant throttle (within reason) is far more efficient; the vehicle will naturally lose speed on the upgrade (so what?) and gain it coming down (free energy). I've pulled my best readings this way, busted 50mpg in three different cars.

So a car passes you and you pass him later -- so what? You have no position to dictate how fast another driver goes as long as he's not impeding you.

I use CC only if I'm on a flat road and tired of holding the same accelerator position. If it's not flat I have to start uncompensating for the CC compensation. I'd rather have an arrangement like my old Fiat 124 had -- a throttle cable you could pull out that held the accelerator at a specific point. Far more efficient, and wouldn't gun the engine trying to keep a constant speed up a hill, which is about the most inefficient way you can drive.

Having said all that --- :lol:
It's not necessarily the technique that car that passes you and then slows up is using. I find there are a whole lot of drivers who feel they have to pass you for the simple reason that you exist. "There is a car. Must pass car". I'm sure this has to do with testosterone poisoning. These drivers are almost never female.

I use cruise control all the time on the highway, except in the mountains and even here on the high plains I get better gas mileage than when I don't and that's a lot of ups and downs on I 25. It's personal preference I guess but I like at least some semblance of predictability when driving so I appreciate when people maintain a fairly constant speed, barring the obvious reason why they can't. I see those who can't do that as distracted, lazy drivers and a danger to others. :dunno:

I'm actually more concerned, now that I re-read the OP, that he's driving a 110-year-old Toyota. I didn't even know they went back that far. Let alone that one would be capable of 55.

Last edited:
Suck on my exhaust losers!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfthYLvxVwk]Mighty Joint to the Rescue / Mel Brooks History of the World part 1 1981 - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back