I can't afford surgery in the U.S.

Since the company that I work for has several units in Canada, we have a number of Canadians working with us. Uniformly, they prefer the Canadian system to what they see in the US.

And when Canada went to that system, the Canadian health statistics were almost identical to those in the US. Now they are better in almost every category. Especially longevity and infant survival.

Results count!

Its difficult to separate the national mythology in Canada from what is true. The most recent poll I saw said that something like 94% of Canadians are generally happy with Canadian Medicare. Most Canadians do not want an American system. But in the same way that Fox News scares Americans about problems in the Canadian medical system usually by taking single isolated instances and implying that that represents a broad problem, the Canadian media does the same thing with the American system.

There is also a different mentality in Canada. Canada tends to think more collectively than the US. Canadians tend to think not just what is best for me, but what is best and fair for everyone. You see that much less in the US. Americans think "Why should I support someone who is less healthy than me." But Canadians do think "what's best for me" envisioning what could happen if they lost their job and could not afford to pay for medical services. Canadians see their own self-interest in Medicare. Canadians think "What would happen to me if I had all sorts of health problems." I don't think the US will ever have a single-payer nationalized universal healthcare system for that reason. Americans think differently.

As a Canadian who has lived in the US for some time, my own conclusion is that I'd rather be in the US healthcare system. But that's because I do fairly well for myself and have a good healthplan. If I were poor, I'd rather be in Canada.

Last edited:
Since the company that I work for has several units in Canada, we have a number of Canadians working with us. Uniformly, they prefer the Canadian system to what they see in the US.

And when Canada went to that system, the Canadian health statistics were almost identical to those in the US. Now they are better in almost every category. Especially longevity and infant survival.

Results count!

Need some Wet Ones to go with diaper change?:eusa_eh:

'I can't afford surgery in the U.S.,' says bargain shopper - CNN.com

Ah yes, we've got it so good and the UK and Canada have it so bad!

Ever used the UK's system? If not, I wouldn't be too enthusiastic to hold them up as a shining example of an efficient health service. :lol::lol::lol:

Agreed. I have a friend who's a podiatrist in the UK and he says the government system is a joke.

Breaking...CNN bargain shopper must now wear glasses!!

ux_a08042800ux0012_ux_n.jpg

Couple of solutions, storm the doors of Canada and England, become an illegal and see what you get. Or he could renounce his citizenship, become a mexican, storm the doors of the US and become an illegal, he will get his surgery.

'I can't afford surgery in the U.S.,' says bargain shopper - CNN.com

Ah yes, we've got it so good and the UK and Canada have it so bad!

Davies, who is semiretired from his real estate business and uninsured, says he received estimates from two surgeons. When hospital, anesthesia and incidental fees were all tallied, the cheapest price he could find in Indianapolis, Indiana, was $33,127 -- which he would need to pay out of pocket.

"I was speechless." Davies recalls. "It was absolutely out of the question financially for me to have this done under those circumstances."

Frustrated that his bargain shopping saved him so little, Davies called on family in the United Kingdom for assistance. When they told him they had found a private hospital in Wales that would perform the surgery for $2,930 [or £1,897], Davies didn't think twice.

He purchased a $768 round-trip ticket, and on March 18, he boarded a flight to the UK to have his polyps removed there at a savings of nearly $30,000.

It is a simple Reality that the docs and hospitals will try to squeeze the patient paying Cash 2 - 5X what any insurance company will pay.

Worked with a contract engineer maybe 15 years back who ended up needing a quad bypass or somesuch. The guy is checking out after surgery/recovery with his two grown sons helping himstand. They give him the Bill- $75K & he about goes into arrest again.

Very shaky he asks to see the head pf the billing department. After some jawing the suit comes out from & asks what the contracy guy wants-

Contract Guy- What would you charge the insurance company for XYZ company for these proceedures?

Suit- that is none of your concern. YOUR bill is $75K

Contract Guy- I am 55 years old and my life savings amount to $70K

Contract Guy- I know for a fact you would bill the the insurance company for XYZ company for these proceedures about $25K.

Contract Guy- I will gladly pay $25K BUT NOT A PENNY MORE!

Suit- We will sue your ass for the full amount.

Contract Guy- go for it. I would rather have my retirement fund go to my lawyer, end filing for bankruptcy and see you fuckers get nothing.

There was one final appeal by the suit to the CE that if everyone behaved as selfishly as he how could the Great Urban Hospital Corporation provide quality service to youths of colour shot/stabbed/runover in violent disputes brought on by oppressive social conditions and majority bigotry (note CE was a man much darker than BHO)

CG's response- dem no account ******* want to shot eachother......LET 'EM.....and den let 'em die! That the only way to stop 'em botherin' honest folk.

He ended getting a Paid in Full for the $25K.

Now sure CG was a fool to not get insurance even if he was rotund/a smoker/a drinker making $80K the year......BUT for every fairly well off uninsured like him there are 10X folk of less than perfect heath uninsured and truly unable to afford necessities and insurance who are one accident or illness away from pauperism. Balancing the docs books on these people's backs is in fact a flaw in the American healthcare system.

Forum List

Back