I build myself

That looks like old wood, too. It's clever how you pieced the posts together like that for the top beams to sit in a notch there in between them.

Is there a term to describe how these posts have been joined? I've got to build a carport and am intrigued by this technique.

It looks like it's simply a 4x6 sandwiched between to longer 2x6 boards and the joist is set between then then lagged in

Wrong.
- This is 6x6 meters
- foundation of concrete blocks, which are installed on a clay pillow
- the roof is the Russian construction of the "SLEGA " I'll tell you what it is.
We have different terminology

I was referring to the dimension of the lumber not the entire structure

And if that structure is supported by nothing but concrete blocks on gravel it's only a matter of time before it becomes unstable and collapses

If I was building that I would have dug footings at least 4 feet deep or below the local frost line and poured concrete into a sonotube

iu

Guys, thanks!
You have almost guessed right.
This structure will be Garage + Shed + Loft

This is not an "old tree", but a board that is covered with oil.
A garage/shed/loft... hmmm... will be interesting to see how it turns out. Keep posting pics.

I've done plenty construction, carpentry myself so I'm interested. But frankly, from the framing you have there, I don't see your plan. No offense, just interested to see where this goes, not to mention your pick says MEMEIT in the upper left corner, like it's a pic of something you just found on the internet.

Are you bull shittin' us?

View attachment 215491

Is this enough for a start, an American carpenter?
I didn't say I was a carpenter. I said I've done carpentry. My older sister was married to a guy that owned a lumber yard and construction company. I worked for them for awhile, and later I worked for a different carpenter too. But I'm a retired Master Harley Davidson Tech.

So this new pic... it's to show what?
You are not a carpenter and you can not understand the corner joints of the wooden structures that I showed you.
Do you dare to criticize me?
You do not have anything, so stop talking.
OK... listen up skippy... I haven't CRITICIZED jack shit here... yet. I've been pretty polite. I've asked a couple questions but if you're going to get all fucked about it, this isn't going to go well. We don't play "stop talking" in America, and judging by what you've done there, I figure I know every bit as much about construction that you do, probably more.

American boys ..
Build something yourself, then take a picture and show on the forum.
I'm not interested in watching pictures from the Internet.

American boys ..
I don't have any projects in the works right now

but if you think concrete blocks on gravel is a sound foundation then you don't know as much about building as you think

Russia Moonshine distillery or a whorehouse.

If a whorehouse, maybe you could get the whores to pee on the bed. Then the DNCMSM will think Trump did it.

Looks like a structure to store wood...............It's pitched so that is a roof..........unless he is a midget he's not gonna be walking around in that thing........LOW BRIDGE.........

Lot of work for something not very tall...........too much wasted space.

Nice work........that shit is heavy putting it in..........

Nice log cabin.

American boys ..
Just lose the attitude and keep building what you're building. I guarantee you some here could build what you have and some couldn't. But don't get all bent when people wonder what the fuck you're doing. You're the one that posted it, so take all the comments like a man or fuck off.

American boys ..
Just lose the attitude and keep building what you're building. I guarantee you some here could build what you have and some couldn't. But don't get all bent when people wonder what the fuck you're doing. You're the one that posted it, so take all the comments like a man or fuck off.

Thank you, but I am a carpenter-professional who worked with wooden constructions since the 60s. I have a photo of my work that I did myself or funded when I had the money. Some of these works are included in the list, which is protected by UNESCO.
It's useless to argue with carpenters about me.:04:

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
American boys ..

Thank you, but I am a carpenter-professional who worked with wooden constructions since the 60s. I have a photo of my work that I did myself or funded when I had the money. Some of these works are included in the list, which is protected by UNESCO.
Well alright then... any man that builds his own stuff and does a good job is admirable, and for the record, I never said what you've built is bad.

I know in Russia your materials are probably a lot harder to come by than here in America, so you're probably doing the best you can.

Keep it up, brother. You probably have Russian neighbors that are envious of you.

Last edited:
You are a real American man. I respect such men

Thank You, Sir.

We don't see this kind of traditional carpentry much anymore. Today everything is put together with brackets and plates.

Yes you are right.
Now the joints of the corners are made by metal structures.
Even in the Russian construction forums young snotty carpenters prove that this is correct.

But I'm too old .. Therefore connect the usual "cut, in ..." only then you can fix it with iron.
This is called - frame construction, which I showed.

If you build from a log, then the iron is not needed.
Personally, I can build a house from a log without one nail. Even the roof, floors, ceilings.
You will be surprised, but in old Russia the peasants and the poor built it so.
Now such construction is very expensive.

Yes you are right.
Even in the Russian construction forums young snotty carpenters prove that this is correct.

But I'm too old .. Therefore connect the usual "cut, in ..." only then you can fix it with iron.

Personally, I can build a house from a log without one nail. Even the roof, floors, ceilings.

When I was just a young boy, we didn't have much. When my dad built the barns, he always did it by hand. All he used was a hand saw. He did the same thing you did, he cut all of the joints by hand.

That's how I learned to do it, just by watching him build.

So, I'm not surprised. I know how it is when you're poor and have to work with what you have.

In a hundred years, the things that were built the old fashioned way will still be standing.

The newer modern construction techniques with metal brackets, it'll be lucky to last 20 years before the metal starts to rot away. And you won't see any of the wood oiled either.

I noticed that you only used a few lag bolts and a few nails for the braces.

The best way to do it inexpensively and in a way that it'll last a few lifetimes is to do it the old fashioned way.

American boys ..

Well alright then... any man that builds his own stuff and does a good job is admirable, and for record, I never said what you've built is bad.

I know in Russia your materials are probably a lot harder to come by than here in America, so you're probably doing the best you can.

Keep it up, brother. You probably have Russian neighbors that are envious of you.

I did not understand your "deep and intelligent thoughts" my American brother ..
Maybe you'll pick up an ax, a saw, then build something and show it and tell me.
I'm probably too old and stupid.
Excuse me..
:04:
I'm no youngster myself. I've built lots of things, but I prefer to build things out of metal.

Like this that I built for an electrician friend of mine...

IMG_0003.jpg

I'm an old man, but I built myself a log house myself.
Now, I'm building "some structure" on my land.
Can you determine what it will be?

View attachment 215488

those timbers are massive by today's standard; did they come from an old barn?

Pretty cool idea to use the two timbers bolted on to either side of the centrally/interior located support timbers to make what is basically a 'mortise & tenon' connection for the over head timbers. That is pretty slick.

Nice work & thanks for sharing!!

Yes you are right.

When I was just a young boy, we didn't have much. When my dad built the barns, he always did it by hand. All he used was a hand saw. He did the same thing you did, he cut all of the joints by hand.

That's how I learned to do it, just by watching him build.

So, I'm not surprised. I know how it is when you're poor and have to work with what you have.

In a hundred years, the things that were built the old fashioned way will still be standing.

The newer modern construction techniques with metal brackets, it'll be lucky to last 20 years before the metal starts to rot away. And you won't see any of the wood oiled either.

I noticed that you only used a few lag bolts and a few nails for the braces.

The best way to do it inexpensively and in a way that it'll last a few lifetimes is to do it the old fashioned way.

The design that I showed is "frame construction".
- Connections are done by "inserting into a wood"
- Fixation of joints is made by "threaded pins". It is such a metal rod, diameter 10 mm. I cut it into parts
- to eliminate the movement of the structure in the X-Y-Z directions, I use the old technology "oblique board", which is not visible in the photo.

I will repeat that this is a "frame construction"

When to build a house out of a log, it is a "log building". There's no metal.

Craftsmanship seems lost in our youth............Yesterday I was running rigid conduit in a Substation tying in conduits to Variable Frequency drives to Cable Tray.............10 penetrations in the VFD's to an analog junction box, digital junction box, and relay junction box, and the motor control centers...............When running my conduit to the tray I run it dead level......measure twice and cut once........

Other elections in the past had offsets running to the same tray.........on the bottom runs they were running downhill like a big dog....their upper conduits were running uphill..........in other words they must not have owned a level.......LOL

I went ahead and ran mine level as it's in the ceiling.......because you could either run the conduit uphill or downhill to try and match....take your pick............the electricians who installed it sucked...........

I'm not ditching your work brother.........and I'm not a carpenter, but have built many things wooden in my time.........

Yes I could build that..............and good luck with your project.........but I know carpenters in the trade that are jam the hell up...............and we still have very good craftsmen..............Just wish the younger generation took more pride in their work.

Well alright then... any man that builds his own stuff and does a good job is admirable, and for record, I never said what you've built is bad.

I did not understand your "deep and intelligent thoughts" my American brother ..
Maybe you'll pick up an ax, a saw, then build something and show it and tell me.
I'm probably too old and stupid.
Excuse me..
I'm no youngster myself. I've built lots of things, but I prefer to build things out of metal.

Like this that I built for an electrician friend of mine...

IMG_0003.jpg
It looks like a "workshop" for a person who works with metal
Kind of... it's a rolling work bench with tool chests built into it, to be used for anything, but mostly working on vehicles.

Forum List

Back