I am right at 66 and virtual leaning of Algebra totally sucks

White 6

Diamond Member
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 10, 2019
Picked up printed packets first available yesterday for Grand daughter's freshman classes. She is scheduled for in person, not virtual classes, but due to the large outbreak of Covid locally. They are offering "in person" though not available yet, and virtual on computer.
What should be simple freshman Algebra 1, with packets (problems) only is bizarre. Ok, so I am 66 and haven't sat an algebra or trig class since the early 80s and although used algebra and geometry for work problems at times, always the same type problems that became routine, so you didn't actually think of it as algebra anymore. Not the same as having to be the instructor when there isn't an instructor, supposedly teaching and assisting in day 1 "see dick run level" of algebra 1) because daughter works.
Day one turned out to be factoring, simplifying and solving polynomials with variables involving squares, cubes inside parenthesis and brackets, often with exponents inside and outside the bracketed parenthetical expressions, plus working through a variety of square root problems.
All this was done without a book, as even for the in class learning, the school system has opted to go with the computer based Edmentum math learning courses and does not use a book, indeed no book exists. I know because I looked for it. It is not out there.
Those who opted for virtual classes were issued computers. Those who opted for in person classes got the packets only and not even an access code to use Edmentum computer modules if they were having problems.
It did not go well for either of us, though the answers were attained, with the help over the phone of my twins, far more recently out of college. I feel like somebody beat the crap out of me with an algebra book, then took it with them to hide the evidence. If this is day one, they should be into non-linear quadratics before Halloween.
I did go over to the high school this afternoon hunting a book. Met a guy with 3 degrees. Turned out it was the principal Explained the problem. He said he was a book guy for math also, but that all they had were workbooks as the program is the book and even those workbooks had not been issued yet. He said I might me rusty but hang there. I showed him the day 1 packet and the problems we were working, as I describe above. He took one look, said Oh, Wow! He flipped to make sure it really was day 1 and said "Ut Oh! I see what you mean". Tried to call the coach who is the instructor for the class, but failed. He said there is no way most kids will get anywhere near this far without access and something will have to be done. Wants me to come back tomorrow morning, which I will definitely do. He also said it is not announced, but the "in school kids" will probably be back, actually in school before the end of the month.

Is this how it is for anybody else out there or am I or my local public school system just backward as hell?

Picked up printed packets first available yesterday for Grand daughter's freshman classes. She is scheduled for in person, not virtual classes, but due to the large outbreak of Covid locally. They are offering "in person" though not available yet, and virtual on computer.
What should be simple freshman Algebra 1, with packets (problems) only is bizarre. Ok, so I am 66 and haven't sat an algebra or trig class since the early 80s and although used algebra and geometry for work problems at times, always the same type problems that became routine, so you didn't actually think of it as algebra anymore. Not the same as having to be the instructor when there isn't an instructor, supposedly teaching and assisting in day 1 "see dick run level" of algebra 1) because daughter works.
Day one turned out to be factoring, simplifying and solving polynomials with variables involving squares, cubes inside parenthesis and brackets, often with exponents inside and outside the bracketed parenthetical expressions, plus working through a variety of square root problems.
All this was done without a book, as even for the in class learning, the school system has opted to go with the computer based Edmentum math learning courses and does not use a book, indeed no book exists. I know because I looked for it. It is not out there.
Those who opted for virtual classes were issued computers. Those who opted for in person classes got the packets only and not even an access code to use Edmentum computer modules if they were having problems.
It did not go well for either of us, though the answers were attained, with the help over the phone of my twins, far more recently out of college. I feel like somebody beat the crap out of me with an algebra book, then took it with them to hide the evidence. If this is day one, they should be into non-linear quadratics before Halloween.
I did go over to the high school this afternoon hunting a book. Met a guy with 3 degrees. Turned out it was the principal Explained the problem. He said he was a book guy for math also, but that all they had were workbooks as the program is the book and even those workbooks had not been issued yet. He said I might me rusty but hang there. I showed him the day 1 packet and the problems we were working, as I describe above. He took one look, said Oh, Wow! He flipped to make sure it really was day 1 and said "Ut Oh! I see what you mean". Tried to call the coach who is the instructor for the class, but failed. He said there is no way most kids will get anywhere near this far without access and something will have to be done. Wants me to come back tomorrow morning, which I will definitely do. He also said it is not announced, but the "in school kids" will probably be back, actually in school before the end of the month.

Is this how it is for anybody else out there or am I or my local public school system just backward as hell?

I found the public school system lacking on all levels when I raised my kid, even when he went to school five days a week.

I needed a resource that would refresh my memory, but also a resource that he could turn to if I wasn't explaining it in a way, or if his mom or step-dad was not explaining it in a way that he was understanding.

. . . and this always seemed to work. He was always the acknowledged top math student in his class.

I would recommend this resource, to both refresh your memory, and help your learner.

Freshmen in high-school?

But yeah. . . books? What are books?

:heehee:
. . . those are anachronistic.

But yeah. . . books? What are books?

:heehee:
. . . those are anachronistic.

A mythical concept involving flat sheets of pressed organic material bound together and littered with ink marks. Strangely there is no apparent keyboard and no visable escape key. Personally, I think books are fake news.

Algebra is not bad for online learning.

To be honest that is how I learned it. Early college algebra via computer. I'm sure they've made great strides since the late 70's early 80's, but I aced it. Understood it better than when I had it in high school.

Algebra is not bad for online learning.

To be honest that is how I learned it. Early college algebra via computer. I'm sure they've made great strides since the late 70's early 80's, but I aced it. Understood it better than when I had it in high school.
Hopefully we will find out after tomorrow.

I found the public school system lacking on all levels when I raised my kid, even when he went to school five days a week.

I needed a resource that would refresh my memory, but also a resource that he could turn to if I wasn't explaining it in a way, or if his mom or step-dad was not explaining it in a way that he was understanding.

. . . and this always seemed to work. He was always the acknowledged top math student in his class.

I would recommend this resource, to both refresh your memory, and help your learner.

Freshmen in high-school?

Khan Academy is great. Algebra is vital to coding/Machine Learning so I did some free courses online, some of it was a refresher of material I learned years ago but never really applied, much of it was new/updated/more complicated.

It's certainly an interesting subject though I find statistics far more enjoyable as I've applied it much more in my lifetime.

kids-today-will-never-know-the-struggle.jpg

My boy's graduating college, but I've been through this, White. I basically went to war with the school board, eventually tangling face to face with Obama's appointee. Respectfully, of course. Long story.

Your girl's probably gonna hit a brick wall, most do.

Here's why - TERC Hands-On Math: The Truth is in The Details

But the good news is that you can save the day.

You're gonna need to be really hands on, man. She's likely only been taught investigative math learning her whole life. That's why they hit the brick wall once they hit high school and start seeing algorithms versus what they are used to with the investigative learning.

I took mine out of the public school system early. Like, as soon as I saw the math he was being taught. You know how a lot of parents say, hey, did your homewark? And then the kid says yeah. Then mom or dad says okay. Well...That's not how I roll. I say, hey, lemme see your books.

I stayed on the S.T.E.M. board for a while longer, though, the science teacher had asked me to sit on it and so I didnlt wanna leave her high and dry like that, she was a nice lady. Used to work for NASA.

Hang in there with it. And good luck. I'll bet this will be the first time she's ever seen a real algorithm.

Last edited:
Just have to remember...Algebra is all about tribes. You have the numbers, they never change, what you see is what you get (think conservatives). And then, you have the anarchists - the variables (think leftists). The a's and b's and x's and z's. And the thing is - they are all trying to get to the other side of the equals sign in order to bring about the Great Zero.

My boy's graduating college, but I've been through this, White. I basically went to war with the school board, eventually tangling over face to face with Obama's appointee. Long story.

Your girl's probably gonna ht a brick wall, most do.

You're gonna need to be really hands on, man. She's likely only been taught investigative math learning her whole life. That's why they hit the brick wall once they hit high school.

I took mine out of the public school system early. Like, as soon as I saw the math he was being taught. You know how a lot of parents say, hey, did your homewark? And then the kid says yeah. Then mom or dad says okay. Well...Tht's not how I roll. I say, hey. lemme see your books.

Hang in there with it. And good luck.
" TERC rejects the need for memorization and practice. "

WTF?!

I have so many friends that are single mothers, and once their daughters get to, oh, I don't know, 7th, 8th grade or so, they start struggling something fierce.

Then they start whining about it on FB. I ask. . . does she have her addition, subtraction, multiplication and division table memorized to at least ten?

. . . and I get back, almost defensive hatred. . . no, they never "made them," or encouraged them.

Negligence.

It is sort of like how in the late 40's and early 50's, private schools and upper middle class schools still used phonics, because, duh?

Yet, the urban schools experimented with "see and say," reading methods, and most public schools still use them in combination with phonics.

. . .and folks can't understand why the upper-class has a high tradition and percentage of literacy.

This sounds like a foundation generated plan to undermine math competency of the lower classes.

My boy's graduating college, but I've been through this, White. I basically went to war with the school board, eventually tangling face to face with Obama's appointee. Respectfully, of course. Long story.

You're gonna need to be really hands on, man. She's likely only been taught investigative math learning her whole life. That's why they hit the brick wall once they hit high school and start seeing algorithms versus what they are used to with the investigative learning.

I took mine out of the public school system early. Like, as soon as I saw the math he was being taught. You know how a lot of parents say, hey, did your homewark? And then the kid says yeah. Then mom or dad says okay. Well...That's not how I roll. I say, hey, lemme see your books.

I stayed on the S.T.E.M. board for a while longer, though, the science teacher had asked me to sit on it and so I didnlt wanna leave her high and dry like that, she was a nice lady. Used to work for NASA.

Hang in there with it. And good luck. I'll bet this will be the first time she's ever seen a real algorithm.
I will. Pretty stubborn, myself. Hopefully, tomorrow she will get a login, so we have access to the modules themselves. Guy seemed surprised and the 1st day packet. I did not know I was talking to the principal until I got home and described the guy to my daughter. Grand daughter will get through this one way or another. Hope you positive folks are right about online algebra course if we actually get to it.

I will. Pretty stubborn, myself. Hopefully, tomorrow she will get a login, so we have access to the modules themselves. Guy seemed surprised and the 1st day packet. I did not know I was talking to the principal until I got home and described the guy to my daughter. Grand daughter will get through this one way or another. Hope you positive folks are right about online algebra course if we actually get to it.

It really isn't hard online :)

My boy's graduating college, but I've been through this, White. I basically went to war with the school board, eventually tangling over face to face with Obama's appointee. Long story.

Your girl's probably gonna ht a brick wall, most do.

You're gonna need to be really hands on, man. She's likely only been taught investigative math learning her whole life. That's why they hit the brick wall once they hit high school.

I took mine out of the public school system early. Like, as soon as I saw the math he was being taught. You know how a lot of parents say, hey, did your homewark? And then the kid says yeah. Then mom or dad says okay. Well...Tht's not how I roll. I say, hey. lemme see your books.

Hang in there with it. And good luck.
" TERC rejects the need for memorization and practice. "

WTF?!

I have so many friends that are single mothers, and once their daughters get to, oh, I don't know, 7th, 8th grade or so, they start struggling something fierce.

Then they start whining about it on FB. I ask. . . does she have her addition, subtraction, multiplication and division table memorized to at least ten?

. . . and I get back, almost defensive hatred. . . no, they never "made them," or encouraged them.

Negligence.

It is sort of like how in the late 40's and early 50's, private schools and upper middle class schools still used phonics, because, duh?

Yet, the urban schools experimented with "see and say," reading methods, and most public schools still use them in combination with phonics.

. . .and folks can't understand why the upper-class has a high tradition and percentage of literacy.

This sounds like a foundation generated plan to undermine math competency of the lower classes.

That stuff was actually donated by the private sector. Mostly the big banks. Future cubicle dwellers answering phones really only need to know how to use a calculator. It's just the reality of things. But, then, it became the benchmark for common core.

And, again, by the time they hit high school, they run into a brick wall if they see an algorithm.

I always found the Barron's series of books really well for me as far as math. You should check library at your community college for math tutorial books and try out a few different ones to see which one works best for you and then buy that publisher's version for yourself. Your learning style may favor a different publisher's than mine. I always hated the "For Dummies" tutorials but some people love them.

Forum List

Back