Hurray for justice!

Am I the only one who seems to be sad that this thing ever happened? I mean what a waste of life. He kills 4 people several of which were over $120. What a freaking waste?

Justice had to be met. No denying that. But im just sad and angry that this guy killed these people and had to call justice upon him. It ended up killing five people and destroying the lives of so much more. and for what? nothing.

No there is nothing to be happy about in any of this.

Also even if he did reform, justice cant be denied. Someone has to pay the price.

Your post is appropriately titled, Cp. Arnold reviewed all the evidence presented over the past 25 years and could find nothing to remotely suggest that Williams was innocent of this crime or hadn't received all the rights due him under the court system. The notoriously liberal 9th Circuit Court of Appeals arrived at the same conclusion. The Governator did the right thing by rejecting Williams' appeal for clemency, and justice was served for the commission of a heinous crime in the great liberal state of California.

Working Man said:
You know,, Tookie could have been converted.. Maybe he did get rehabbed in the can.

I doubt it - he was a pretty tough S.O.B.. I don't think anybody rehabbed his can, unless it was HIS idea... :ssex:

I can see where people support execution. I just dont like it because of the fact that we have executed innocent people. They system needs reworking. That said, there are a few instances where I would, and have supported execution.

Nuremburg Trials: most defendants executed by hanging
Adolf Hitler: not actually executed, unfortunately
Nikolai Ceausescu: no arrest, no trial, just dragged out into the street and shot (gotta love the Romanians)

Saddam: currently in trial, my bet is on hanging.

There are probably quite a few that I missed, but what are you going to do.

The guy lived 26 years longer than those he KILLED.
25 YEARS longer than he should have, IMO.

He got what he deserved, but they should have used a shot-gun like what he used on those he killed. He got off easy.

Cry me a f’gin river LIBREAL BLEEDING HEARTS!.

Hobbit said:
See, this is what I like about Georgia. If something like this happens, and there are riots, the general public would put them down pretty quick. As soon as the wrong door got kicked down or the wrong window broken, you'd hear a series loud bangs, and about half the time, a guy would walk out with his gun to check his grouping. And people say gun control just leads to more violence. HAH!!
No, people say NO gun control leads to more violence. *Hint: If you're going to try to make a profound, hilarious statement against liberal ideas, atleast try to write it down in a coherent statement. :duh3:

Mr. P said:
The guy lived 26 years longer than those he KILLED.
25 YEARS longer than he should have, IMO.

He got what he deserved, but they should have used a shot-gun like what he used on those he killed. He got off easy.

Cry me a f’gin river LIBREAL BLEEDING HEARTS!.
My heart doesn't bleed for the guy. It's just embarrassing to me that the US still uses capital punishment like Arabs and other savages do. Sure some people may deserve it, but would you want to deal the death blow? Could you live with that on your conscience? I couldn't.

Killing people to teach that killing is wrong? Does not compute in my book.

In this case Tookie did have the benefit of 25 years of appeals and each time he was unamimously turned down. I don't envy Arnold in this as taking any life is horrible, but that said it really wasn't his decision, he was merely upholding what a jury of Tookie's peers stated many years ago. It is a horrible situation all the way around. Still whenever a death sentence is carried out I do think about the fear that is going on in the person's mind as Im sure was going on when his victims were begging for their lives.

Hagbard Celine said:
My heart doesn't bleed for the guy. It's just embarrassing to me that the US still uses capital punishment like Arabs and other savages do. Sure some people may deserve it, but would you want to deal the death blow? Could you live with that on your conscience? I couldn't.

What does compute in your book then???

Bonnie said:
In this case Tookie did have the benefit of 25 years of appeals and each time he was unamimously turned down. I don't envy Arnold in this as taking any life is horrible, but that said it really wasn't his decision, he was merely upholding what a jury of Tookie's peers stated many years ago. It is a horrible situation all the way around. Still whenever a death sentence is carried out I do think about the fear that is going on in the person's mind as Im sure was going on when his victims were begging for their lives.
I don't blame Arnold at all. He's just an elected official who happened to be in office at the time Williams was scheduled to be executed.

I've read that Williams apparently showed no signs of fear, but rather frustration because the executioners took a really long time to insert the needle--apparently they couldn't find a vein. That'll make for a hell of an SNL skit.:laugh:

Hagbard Celine said:

It’s not about “teaching” its about punishment for a CRIME.
In this case the punishment was death, the ultimate punishment for the ultimate crime of murder, simple.

deaddude said:
I can see where people support execution. I just dont like it because of the fact that we have executed innocent people. They system needs reworking. That said, there are a few instances where I would, and have supported execution.

Nikolai Ceausescu: no arrest, no trial, just dragged out into the street and shot (gotta love the Romanians)

Yes the have been innocent men killed. However, as technology progresses and we can use DNA evidence as well as other types of technological crime fighting methods, prosecuting innocent men should become more difficult. Thus ensuring that only the truly guilty are on death row.

Hagbard Celine said:
I don't blame Arnold at all. He's just an elected official who happened to be in office at the time Williams was scheduled to be executed.

I've read that Williams apparently showed no signs of fear, but rather frustration because the executioners took a really long time to insert the needle--apparently they couldn't find a vein. That'll make for a hell of an SNL skit.:laugh:
Awwwwwwwwww, the poor guy had to endure a few extra needle pricks, and you think he was frustrated? Hahahahahaha. How about his victim he described gurgling as he died?
Ya know what that’s about? It about trying to breath with BLOOD filling your airway!

I don’t feel for this guy at all. Like I said he got off easy.

It seems that capital punishment would be much more effective (in terms of sending a message) if it was administered shortly after the crime was committed.

The public forgets about the gory details of the crime over the years or it becomes a distant memory. If the public could connect the punishment with the crime within a reasonable time period it is likely there would be less capital crime as justice would be swift.

Endless appeals over ten, twenty years is ridiculous. Why can't they limit the number of appeals?

ScreamingEagle said:
It seems that capital punishment would be much more effective (in terms of sending a message) if it was administered shortly after the crime was committed.

The public forgets about the gory details of the crime over the years or it becomes a distant memory. If the public could connect the punishment with the crime within a reasonable time period it is likely there would be less capital crime as justice would be swift.

Endless appeals over ten, twenty years is ridiculous. Why can't they limit the number of appeals?
I agree, but the wheels of justice grind slow. A limit may be an option, but as far as the process goes, I don’t think we would want it any other way. You have heard of the many being set free after 25 years or so, when they were finally proven innocent, right?

At this time I think it’s something we just have to deal with.
BTW..The appeals are what set us apart from the, “capital punishment like Arabs and other savages do.” that Hagbard Celine mentioned. We don’t, with good reason, lope off heads 12 hours after conviction in the public square.

deaddude said:

Now, I do acknowledge that there is always the risk of punishing an innocent person. However, I have yet to hear somebody name one innocent person who was lawfully executed by the state. After 20+ years of appeals, it's kinda hard to swallow that somebody could be innocent, yet no problem was found with the prosecution's evidence after being looked at by a couple hundred judges.

Hagbard Celine said:
No, people say NO gun control leads to more violence. *Hint: If you're going to try to make a profound, hilarious statement against liberal ideas, atleast try to write it down in a coherent statement. :duh3:

I don't know what you're talking about... *whistles suspiciously as he hits edit button*

Hobbit said:
Now, I do acknowledge that there is always the risk of punishing an innocent person. However, I have yet to hear somebody name one innocent person who was lawfully executed by the state. After 20+ years of appeals, it's kinda hard to swallow that somebody could be innocent, yet no problem was found with the prosecution's evidence after being looked at by a couple hundred judges.
After the fact, Hobbit? Hard to prove. How about this...
what if he would have been executed?

A jury of 11 whites and one black convicted Melendez less than three days after the trial began. He was sentenced to death.

On Jan. 3, 2002 — 17 years, eight months and one day after he arrived at prison — Melendez was exonerated and set free.
http://www.redandblack.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/09/28/433a0ab6813a7

Forum List

Back