Hurray for justice!

Hobbit said:
On the sixth commandment, the ever quoted "thou shalt not kill." I have a Jewish friend who is fluent in Hebrew and she has read a verbatim copy of this passage, with no adjustments to the language, whatsoever. The word "kill" in this passage is a Hebrew word referring to an unlawful and unjustified killing. There are many places in the Bible where a Hebrew word is translated to mean "kill." The word in the commandment is also used when Cain killed Abel, when Moses killed the man for beating a Jewish slave, and, though a different conjugation, when David had Uriah killed for his wife. However, a different Hebrew word was used to refer to battlefield killings, such as when David killed Goliath, and yet another word for executions, like when Elijah executed the prophets of Baal after the display on Mt. Carmel. Therefore, the idea that this commandment extend the 'no killing' rule to war, executions, or even, as PETA likes to use it, to animals, is completely ludicrous.

Even if this wasn't enough, look at the context. After handing down the commandments, God later detailed in the books of law that homosexuals, rapists, murderers, adulterers, people who stuck their parents, those engaged in beastiality, and many others, were to be stoned to death.

I thougt jesus changed all that stuff

Hagbard Celine said:
Actually, you're wrong. Executions are more expensive.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=108

I can kill a piece of dogshit like Tookie Williams for 3.99, thats how much the shotgun shells would cost and and i'll donate the gun for free.

The saying that the cost of execution is higher than taxpayer sponsoring of a prisoner for life is absolutely ridiculous and belies your lack of intelligence.

dilloduck said:
I thougt jesus changed all that stuff

Yes, Jesus left a lot more room for mercy. However, even the theif he forgave on the cross had to face the mortal consequences of his sin. Now, I like to think of myself as pretty merciful. To be honest, the idea of an execution is scary. It's grim. It's unpleasant. It's...chilling. However, war is similarly negative, and I fully believe war is often necessary to battle evil and protect the innocent. The death penalty, as horrible as it is, is sometimes necessary to maintain justice. As now, it is reserved for the most remorseless of society's killers, those who would kill simply to avoid punishment or solely for the sake of killing. In most states, the death penalty is reserved for cop killers, witness killers, serial killers, and torture killers. It's unsavory, but it's necessary.

However, the whole point of my post is not that the Bible fully endorses execution, simply that it doesn't condemn it either. The sixth commandment has often been used as an argument against the death penalty (oddly enough, it is used by those who say the Bible has no place in public policy), and I was trying to point out the fallacy of that argument.

OCA said:
I can kill a piece of dogshit like Tookie Williams for 3.99, thats how much the shotgun shells would cost and and i'll donate the gun for free.

The saying that the cost of execution is higher than taxpayer sponsoring of a prisoner for life is absolutely ridiculous and belies your lack of intelligence.
You're insulting me you greaseball wannabe?

Abbey Normal said:
Mr. P, I chased you here just to tell you, I agree with you.

And this didn't even have to happen first:

frozen_hell.jpg
Awwwwwwww, and one of the most intelligent things I’ve seen you post, thanks!

Hobbit said:
Yes, Jesus left a lot more room for mercy. However, even the theif he forgave on the cross had to face the mortal consequences of his sin. Now, I like to think of myself as pretty merciful. To be honest, the idea of an execution is scary. It's grim. It's unpleasant. It's...chilling. However, war is similarly negative, and I fully believe war is often necessary to battle evil and protect the innocent. The death penalty, as horrible as it is, is sometimes necessary to maintain justice. As now, it is reserved for the most remorseless of society's killers, those who would kill simply to avoid punishment or solely for the sake of killing. In most states, the death penalty is reserved for cop killers, witness killers, serial killers, and torture killers. It's unsavory, but it's necessary.

However, the whole point of my post is not that the Bible fully endorses execution, simply that it doesn't condemn it either. The sixth commandment has often been used as an argument against the death penalty (oddly enough, it is used by those who say the Bible has no place in public policy), and I was trying to point out the fallacy of that argument.

I think the New Testament pretty much is against it.

Abbey Normal said:
For a guy usually known as Mr. Pants in a Wad, you're uncharacteristically goofy tonight. Glad you've discovered your lighter side.

:clap:
Backpedaling from your attack I see, and that’s fine. You’re no match, let it go, whatever “it” is. :dunno:

Hobbit said:
Yeah, and OCA isn't cuddly like the rest of us.
Thanks Hobbit, I like to think of myself as more cuddly than OCA! :laugh:

Mr. P said:
Don’t you pick on OCA we’re pals, he’s Greek, and I’m Italian (sorta), we go together! I think. :D
Oh my, that's weird! :eek: :laugh:

Besides, I wasn't picking on him, just I'm more cuddly!

Forum List

Back