Hunting and fishing thread!

Here is the monster catfish I caught this week.

View attachment 230155
That is a monster all right! We have days were some thing like that is a monster. I always say that a day on the river or lake beats a day on the couch wether you catch any thing or not. Keep getting that fresh air and ya, I do not mind pictures of monsters! Any one who gets out and tries has my love, hope to see you on the water some time!

I gave up hunting years ago when I started working outdoors. Just have no desire to sit and freeze in a deer stand anymore.
I fish often. My favorite waterway is on the MN,Canadian border on the Kabatogama - Crane Lake chain.
Walleye is my primary target, but catch everything from bass, pike,crappies and perch.
Lakes are just starting to ice over, boat put away weeks ago.
About a few weeks before ice fishing.
By Jan. the ice villages and roads will be on the many lakes.View attachment 230016

Mille Lacs central MN. Last year, not a current photo.
I have to admit I am slobbering a little I hear some of the best fishing in North America is in your area. Unfortunately I can not attest to this first hand. I hear ice fishing is a way of life up your way. Thanks for the photo would love to see more! I would love to go along some time if I were in the area. Love them walley, my absolute favorite for the pan!
Sometimes a little intimidating driving a vehicle several miles onto the ice. They actually plow roads with large trucks and expensive towable fish houses with all the amenities of a modern RV are out on lakes. It has become a multi million dollar industry.

The large clear lakes of the border waters are my favorite. Only 4 hours from home. In Voyageurs National Park, only accessible by water, one can throw their gear on the boat and choose from 300 campsites within the park. Some 40 miles from nearest road.
Fishing paradise.
Voyageurs National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
I may retire there some day. Sounds awesome.
If one can live with the -50 or worse windchills in the dark of winter. My wife keeps bitching we should move south.
Lived in the land of lakes all my life. A virtual water rat. Boat, snowmobile, fish, ski all on the water. Couldn't imagine leaving.

The ice fishing festivals are a little nuts. You will see folks set up hot tubs and booze all day well into the night since they have a portable cabin out on the ice.
Folks get a little goofy in the cold.
View attachment 230146
View attachment 230147
Definitely check conditions before driving on lake. A few go down each year.
View attachment 230148
Several deaths per year.
The expense of removal is unreal.
DNR levies fines for everyday underwater. Insurance usually doesn't cover since you chose to drive on a lake. I usually stick with a snowmobile and portable shelter.
We have a companies that does fan boat ice fishing trips up on lake erie bretty expensive though. I will likely do it at least once this year. I hear ya on the neg 50 thing, thats a rough day to be out in. Maybe not the best place for an old dude like me but some things gotta kill ya right. I would rather die out on the ice than in my bed.

`
I hate fishing, although I do fish when the need arises. Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he spends all goddamn day out in the boat, drinking beer.

View attachment 230155
That is a monster all right! We have days were some thing like that is a monster. I always say that a day on the river or lake beats a day on the couch wether you catch any thing or not. Keep getting that fresh air and ya, I do not mind pictures of monsters! Any one who gets out and tries has my love, hope to see you on the water some time!
I do most of my fishing from my kayak. However, sometime I got to that little fishing hole about a mile from my house. No boats allowed in that water, not even kayaks.

View attachment 230155

I have spent many an hour wishing for any bite.

And some of the happiest times in my life were spent pulling small fish out of the water.

`
I hate fishing, although I do fish when the need arises. Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he spends all goddamn day out in the boat, drinking beer.
The man will drink beer regardless of whether he is fishing or not.

`
I hear the all day in the boat part. Not much of a beer drinker here. To bad about the fishing thing lota dudes would be happy with a lady that hunts and fishes.

`
I hear the all day in the boat part. Not much of a beer drinker here. To bad about the fishing thing lota dudes would be happy with a lady that hunts and fishes.
My wife loves to fish and be on the lake all day.
I have to deal with baiting and unhooking her fish though.
She won't touch them.

`
She won't touch them.
At least she is there! That is a great start. My ex was not interested in the out side.

She won't touch them.
`
I can descale, clean, de-bone and cook fish. Catfish, bluegill, trout, etc.
You would be a welcome addition to my fishing party any time! You might find a fight over control of the pan though. The guys in my group can all cook. One was a princess cruise line chef for a good many years. Good to be multi talented shoot it,catch it, prepare it we can do it all sounds like you can also!

`
She won't touch them.
At least she is there! That is a great start. My ex was not interested in the out side.
Having a comfortable ride on the lake helps. Run a 16.5 Smokercraft 90HP. Will push 40mph. Has open bow and walkthrough windshield with bimini top. Some lake runs are for miles on these large lakes and protection from spray and the cold is a must. Not the kind of water to venture in a small skiff.
Just updated to a Humminbird Helix 7 side imaging fish finder with built in GPS lake maps. What an awesome fish locator, and the map depth charts make me more confident I wont tear off my lower unit when I leave the main channels. Very impressive unit. 1542896707469597718988.jpg
Our toy. Finally paid off.

Last edited:
`
She won't touch them.
Having a comfortable ride on the lake helps. Run a 16.5 Smokercraft 90HP. Will push 40mph. Has open bow and walkthrough windshield with bimini top. Some lake runs are for miles on these large lakes and protection from spray and the cold is a must. Not the kind of water to venture in a small skiff.
Just updated to a Humminbird Helix 7 side imaging fish finder with built in GPS lake maps. What an awesome fish locator, and the map depth charts make me more confident I wont tear off my lower unit when I leave the main channels. Very impressive unit.
A good fish finder is my next investment. I just got back into outdoor sports and do not have access to all of my stuff at home due to seperation. I have been having to buy things I already own. Got the boat in the spring and some new poles. Fish finder is merry christmas to me present.

I bought an old used bass boat last spring. It does have good fish finders on it, but I don't really know how to use them. I do more real fishing in my kayak. I do more riding in my bass boat.

I bought an old used bass boat last spring. It does have good fish finders on it, but I don't really know how to use them. I do more real fishing in my kayak. I do more riding in my bass boat.
I am going to invest in a Kayak this spring, having one will double the amount of tournements I can get into around here and add some excersize to the situation. Not to mention it will add rivers I can fish with a boat.

Getting the ice boat ready for winter. Lol.
1542897116953-904746363.jpg

Just prefer not to drive my Jeep onto the ice. We use a portable fishouse I can tow behind snowmobile.

Forum List

Back