Hunting and fishing thread!

I bought an old used bass boat last spring. It does have good fish finders on it, but I don't really know how to use them. I do more real fishing in my kayak. I do more riding in my bass boat.
I am going to invest in a Kayak this spring, having one will double the amount of tournements I can get into around here and add some excersize to the situation. Not to mention it will add rivers I can fish with a boat.
I have a Hobbie Marriage. It has foot pedals, so I can go many miles without getting tired. Need lots of water to drink in the summer though. Much of the time I simply hang off a couple of rods and troll.

We primarily fish this six mile oxbow lake off the Trinity river.
It sits in the middle of six thousand acres and is chock full of alligators.
We have to use the side x side to tow the boat down 3 or 4 miles of trails through the woods to get to it.

IMG_2360.JPG
IMG_2459.JPG
IMG_2263.JPG

`
I hate fishing, although I do fish when the need arises. Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he spends all goddamn day out in the boat, drinking beer.
I hear the all day in the boat part. Not much of a beer drinker here. To bad about the fishing thing lota dudes would be happy with a lady that hunts and fishes.
My wife loves to fish and be on the lake all day.
I have to deal with baiting and unhooking her fish though.
She won't touch them.
At least she is there! That is a great start. My ex was not interested in the out side.
Having a comfortable ride on the lake helps. Run a 16.5 Smokercraft 90HP. Will push 40mph. Has open bow and walkthrough windshield with bimini top. Some lake runs are for miles on these large lakes and protection from spray and the cold is a must. Not the kind of water to venture in a small skiff.
Just updated to a Humminbird Helix 7 side imaging fish finder with built in GPS lake maps. What an awesome fish locator, and the map depth charts make me more confident I wont tear off my lower unit when I leave the main channels. Very impressive unit.View attachment 230229
Our toy. Finally paid off.

This was my ride. Sold it to get the side x side so we could access the oxbow lake.
Way better fishing than your average lake and you're not allowed to drive your truck on the property.
So now not only do we get to fish on a private lake we get to wander around on the six thousand acres.

DSC00063.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG
IMG_2226.JPG

`
I hate fishing, although I do fish when the need arises. Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he spends all goddamn day out in the boat, drinking beer.
I hear the all day in the boat part. Not much of a beer drinker here. To bad about the fishing thing lota dudes would be happy with a lady that hunts and fishes.
She won't touch them.
At least she is there! That is a great start. My ex was not interested in the out side.
Having a comfortable ride on the lake helps. Run a 16.5 Smokercraft 90HP. Will push 40mph. Has open bow and walkthrough windshield with bimini top. Some lake runs are for miles on these large lakes and protection from spray and the cold is a must. Not the kind of water to venture in a small skiff.
Just updated to a Humminbird Helix 7 side imaging fish finder with built in GPS lake maps. What an awesome fish locator, and the map depth charts make me more confident I wont tear off my lower unit when I leave the main channels. Very impressive unit.View attachment 230229

This was my ride. Sold it to get the side x side so we could access the oxbow lake.
Way better fishing than your average lake and you're not allowed to drive your truck on the property.
So now not only do we get to fish on a private lake we get to wander around on the six thousand acres.

View attachment 230237

View attachment 230238 View attachment 230238
Both nice rides.
I would have had a hard time parting with that boat though.

Private lake sounds like a nice tradeoff. That wheeler looks fun, but holy crap are they expensive.

We primarily fish this six mile oxbow lake off the Trinity river.
It sits in the middle of six thousand acres and is chock full of alligators.
We have to use the side x side to tow the boat down 3 or 4 miles of trails through the woods to get to it.

View attachment 230231 View attachment 230234 View attachment 230235
Looks like a great place to spend the week end!

Oh it is!!
We camp there a lot.
View attachment 230239
Nothing like a weekend on the lake...
20170810_163608.jpg

I would love to join
`
She won't touch them.

View attachment 230237

I would love to join you some time looks absolutely beautiful. Thank you for the pictures! That is what this thread is mainly about give those pictures and see if we can recruit some more out door people! I have to get better about taking pictures of my excersions. I am so wrapped up in what I am doing I forget to photo document. My goal here is to start running into people in nature that do not have grey hair. I want to get those young people involved so the way of life does not die!

Not a great shot. Boat parked at Williams Island campsite.
Namaken Lake, Voyageurs. National Park. Approx 1 mile from Canadian waters.
2290f0a44b62__1274426674000.jpeg

Same spot by snowmobile.
20170211_132037.jpg 20170211_132023.jpg
Another shot but a little dark.
Namaken-Kabatogama channel...
Dutch Bay. Huge crappies and nice Walleye.20170913_183436.jpg

She won't touch them.

View attachment 230237

Both nice rides.
I would have had a hard time parting with that boat though.

Private lake sounds like a nice tradeoff. That wheeler looks fun, but holy crap are they expensive.

I hear ya!
That one was 20k.

I would love to join
She won't touch them.

View attachment 230237

I would love to join you some time looks absolutely beautiful. Thank you for the pictures! That is what this thread is mainly about give those pictures and see if we can recruit some more out door people! I have to get better about taking pictures of my excersions. I am so wrapped up in what I am doing I forget to photo document. My goal here is to start running into people in nature that do not have grey hair. I want to get those young people involved so the way of life does not die!

It's nice for sure.
We'll load up the ice chest with beer and roam the property at all hours.
This is one of the log bridges over the creek.
IMG_2332.JPG

Pics from fish camp.
A/C and heat for the pop up tent.
The water shot is right in front of the camp.
The last pic is of the artesian well that flows constantly,you can drink it but we use for washing dishes mainly.
There are five springs on the property that we know of.

IMG_2304.JPG
IMG_2070.JPG
IMG_1373.JPG
fullsizeoutput_14f.jpeg

I haven’t hunted in years. But I fish whenever I can. Since I bank fish, I like going for catfish. More time fighting per catch.

My setup looks like a surf fishing rig. 1.5 or 2 oz weight and I get good range on my casts.
I cat fish during the summer. Some times. I like to go after things that taste good in the pan. This time of year mainly croppie and saugeye. Have not went north to walleye and perch fish for a while. I went saugey fishing today. Unfortunately nothing over 15 inches so nothing for the pan today. Saw some guys out phesant hunting. They got a couple of birds and were having a good day. I wanna go to mad river and do some trout fishing over the week end. I am tempted to head south to Columbia and meet some freinds bore hunting. Afraid I would not make it back by monday though. It was a cold wet one today. To my supprise there were people fishing not far from me and those two hunters I ran into. Bunch of old men in the woods today. I might go phesant hunting tomorrow. I will have to see I fished all day and never slept so I am going to work with no sleep tonight. Likely going to crash after work tomarrow.

Sounds like a good life.
Growing better as time goes. I had an overly something wife and did not do these things until recently. My current life came at a cost of frozen bank acounts and a lot of hurt feeelings that are still hurt and frozen. I simply turned back into who I was before 25 years of marriage. I have lost a lot of the skills I use to have out doors but am working to rapidly gain them back. You will note a lack of recent trophie photos from me. I had one trophy size fish this year which was a 15 pound cat fish. I made a mistake that day and did not bring the camara. I have been unable to master the local waterways this year. I find my self going back to lake erie, and grand lake a great deal because I know the holes there. I need to get better at finding them where I am now. Last two times out nothing pan size to bring home. One of the reasons I want to go to mad river this week end, familiarity.

Come south for some catfish that will scare you. When I was on a project in Chattanooga, the company paid for a rental house for me and another guy I have worked with for years. Neither of us are the "get off work & get drunk" types, so we started fishing every day. Found a spot in a local park on the TN river. I could back my truck up to within 15 feet of the water. We would fish for a few hours 5 days a week. Great variety of fish. Bass (largemouth & smallmouth), crappy, bream, and the odd small trout were common. But once I started casting for distance and catching catfish, I was the one who was hooked. Biggest back then was a shade over 30lbs. I know of several caught in that area that were over 70lbs. Plus, with a bass or crappie, when you hook them you only have a few minutes of fighting to get them in. A catfish 80 or so yards out give you 10 or 15 mins of fight time.

I'll see if I can find some pics.

Lake Livingston in Texas produces some monster cats!!!
full-39557-195323-img_0719.jpg

Lake record is 82 lbs.

I didn't really eat store food until I was almost 20. And only water straight out of the mountain. We lived that way. Gotta fight to survive.

Not a fan of just sport hunting, though.

Here is the monster catfish I caught this week.

View attachment 230155
That is a monster all right! We have days were some thing like that is a monster. I always say that a day on the river or lake beats a day on the couch wether you catch any thing or not. Keep getting that fresh air and ya, I do not mind pictures of monsters! Any one who gets out and tries has my love, hope to see you on the water some time!
I do most of my fishing from my kayak. However, sometime I got to that little fishing hole about a mile from my house. No boats allowed in that water, not even kayaks.

Used to take the yaks 10 to 12 miles offshore out of Surfside Texas.
Nothing like hooking up with an 8 ft shark and going on a Texas sleigh ride.
They'll tow you miles from your anchor ball.
POTD-6-27-13-High-Island-Bull-Shark.jpg

I haven’t hunted in years. But I fish whenever I can. Since I bank fish, I like going for catfish. More time fighting per catch.

My setup looks like a surf fishing rig. 1.5 or 2 oz weight and I get good range on my casts.
I cat fish during the summer. Some times. I like to go after things that taste good in the pan. This time of year mainly croppie and saugeye. Have not went north to walleye and perch fish for a while. I went saugey fishing today. Unfortunately nothing over 15 inches so nothing for the pan today. Saw some guys out phesant hunting. They got a couple of birds and were having a good day. I wanna go to mad river and do some trout fishing over the week end. I am tempted to head south to Columbia and meet some freinds bore hunting. Afraid I would not make it back by monday though. It was a cold wet one today. To my supprise there were people fishing not far from me and those two hunters I ran into. Bunch of old men in the woods today. I might go phesant hunting tomorrow. I will have to see I fished all day and never slept so I am going to work with no sleep tonight. Likely going to crash after work tomarrow.

Sounds like a good life.
Growing better as time goes. I had an overly something wife and did not do these things until recently. My current life came at a cost of frozen bank acounts and a lot of hurt feeelings that are still hurt and frozen. I simply turned back into who I was before 25 years of marriage. I have lost a lot of the skills I use to have out doors but am working to rapidly gain them back. You will note a lack of recent trophie photos from me. I had one trophy size fish this year which was a 15 pound cat fish. I made a mistake that day and did not bring the camara. I have been unable to master the local waterways this year. I find my self going back to lake erie, and grand lake a great deal because I know the holes there. I need to get better at finding them where I am now. Last two times out nothing pan size to bring home. One of the reasons I want to go to mad river this week end, familiarity.

Come south for some catfish that will scare you. When I was on a project in Chattanooga, the company paid for a rental house for me and another guy I have worked with for years. Neither of us are the "get off work & get drunk" types, so we started fishing every day. Found a spot in a local park on the TN river. I could back my truck up to within 15 feet of the water. We would fish for a few hours 5 days a week. Great variety of fish. Bass (largemouth & smallmouth), crappy, bream, and the odd small trout were common. But once I started casting for distance and catching catfish, I was the one who was hooked. Biggest back then was a shade over 30lbs. I know of several caught in that area that were over 70lbs. Plus, with a bass or crappie, when you hook them you only have a few minutes of fighting to get them in. A catfish 80 or so yards out give you 10 or 15 mins of fight time.

I'll see if I can find some pics.

Lake Livingston in Texas produces some monster cats!!!
full-39557-195323-img_0719.jpg

Lake record is 82 lbs.
One hell of a day there. I am surprised those lips did not touch his ears. I have never caught two that size in the same day. How proud you must be!

Forum List

Back