Huckabee the GOP Frontrunner?!?!

If republicans nominate a social conservative in 2016, they’ll lose.

Americans are in no mood for hostile rhetoric toward women and gay Americans.

True.

But Huckabee's talent is that he sells the social conservatism without sounding hostile. Much like Reagan.

I do think he has problems, such as his use of clemency in Arkansas.

Also, going back to Rove's theory of the "Beer Primary", that elections are decided by a small slice in the middle who vote on who they'd rather have a beer with, Huck easily wins the Beer Primary over Hillary.

But Hucksbee probably does not drink!

Neither did Jimmy Carter. He didn't even let alcohol be served at any WH functions.

True.

But Huckabee's talent is that he sells the social conservatism without sounding hostile. Much like Reagan.

I do think he has problems, such as his use of clemency in Arkansas.

Also, going back to Rove's theory of the "Beer Primary", that elections are decided by a small slice in the middle who vote on who they'd rather have a beer with, Huck easily wins the Beer Primary over Hillary.

But Hucksbee probably does not drink!

Neither did Jimmy Carter. He didn't even let alcohol be served at any WH functions.

That was just to keep his brother Billy from visiting ...

Huckabee is the Religious Right.

To make matters worse Huckabee is a card carrying NeoCon. If you love Bush's Foreign Policy and Endless Wars, than you will love Huckabee.

And if you Huckabee's buddy, love nutter Ted (admitted child molester, among other things) Nugent, you'll like Huckabee as well.

But, as we've seen, the right has no problem with child predators.

Why is it that the right is always on teh wrong side of history? Always on the wrong side of human rights issues? Always on the wrong side of our Constitution?

"Huckabee the GOP Frontrunner?!?!"

I would rather see Rand Paul. :thup:

Looking at those polls, doesn't look like anyone want any of them very much.

:clap2:

Lest you forget who just won over a Democrat in uber-liberal California.

REPUBLICAN WINS! REPUBLICAN WINS!! REPUBLICAN WINS!!! HOTLY CONTESTED SD MAYOR'S RACE

Libertarian Republican

And then there is this: :thup:

REPUBLICAN ED GILLESPIE CLOSING IN ON INCUMBENT DEMOCRAT MARK WARNER IN VIRGINIA!!!

Libertarian Republican

Looking at those polls, doesn't look like anyone want any of them very much.

:clap2:

Lest you forget who just won over a Democrat in uber-liberal California.

REPUBLICAN WINS! REPUBLICAN WINS!! REPUBLICAN WINS!!! HOTLY CONTESTED SD MAYOR'S RACE

Libertarian Republican

And then there is this: :thup:

REPUBLICAN ED GILLESPIE CLOSING IN ON INCUMBENT DEMOCRAT MARK WARNER IN VIRGINIA!!!

Libertarian Republican

The San Diego race was a big win for the Republicans. Obama won there 63-37 less than a year an half ago- the dems lost 45-55 - that is a huge swing. Think "You can keep your plan" has anything to do with it? lol...no, of course not...it was just a local election....right? :lol:

Anyway, I am not sure if this will be a "wave" election like 2010, but I am very confident that the Republicans will win the Senate back.

Anyone else think that Reid's decision to go "nuclear" is going to blow up in the Democrats faces? Buh-bye Harry....

]

To make matters worse Huckabee is a card carrying NeoCon. If you love Bush's Foreign Policy and Endless Wars, than you will love Huckabee.

You enjoy Obama's foreign policies and endless wars better?

What a dope.

Better? Are you kidding? They are the same foreign policies and endless wars. Obama changed nothing, he even kept the same policy makers. I was just going back to the NeoCons who started the pre-emptive war in Iraq.

Actually, we need a new war. Everyone is pretty tired of the ones we have been having. I like Reagan's idea better. Granada anyone? Or we can revert to Ike's policy of covert support of facist Latin and South American dictatorships. It also worked well for LBJ.There is no point in invading Panama. They are broke, as a result of the Panama Canal. Speaking of which, has any of the conservatives bothered to send an "I admit that we were wrong about critisizing you for giving away the Panama Canal" note to Jimmy Carter?

Last edited:
I don't expect that anyone who runs for president as a republican will be well liked by the lefties. Being well liked by the lefties would be a bad sign.

Paul is mostly useless with his phony votes and his phony lawsuits but he's also just another tee potty fool who's scared to death of vaginas.

1798279_10151990256856275_526304367_n.jpg

And EXACTLY what are the "foreign policies" you object to?

And, EXACTLY what and where are "Obama's endless wars"?

Have you not been paying attention? Obama signs agreement to keep US troops in Afghanistan until 2024. Secretary of State John Kerry announced on Wednesday that the United States and Afghanistan had finalized the wording of a bilateral security agreement that would allow for a lasting American troop presence through 2024 and set the stage for billions of dollars of international assistance to keep flowing to the government in Kabul.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/21/world/asia/afghan-pact-kerry-apology-.html?_r=0

Think that covers both the "foreign policies" and "Obama's endless wars" questions.

So it would seem.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - 2016 Republican Presidential Nomination

Three polls, with Huck either leading or tied for first, even though he doesn't exceed 16% in any given poll

[MENTION=2926]Toro[/MENTION]

Because you said it would never happen.

Okay, pros and Cons, because Huckabee is a Republican I could almost stand to vote for.

Pros-

Strong with the Evangelical Faction
Actually gets working folks
Likable.

Cons

Had a bad habit of letting really bad guys out of prison if they said "Jesus" sincerely enough.

The five-six-seven way spread we are seeing in GOP nomination polling is very common for the opposition party, either going into a re-election campaign (see: GOP 2012, DEMS 1984, DEMS 1972) or into an open election (see: DEMS 2008, GOP 2000, DEMS 1992). Lots of media outlets would like to paint this as "disarray" or some such nonsense within a party, but that is not true. It's good and healthy for the opposition party to do some real looking around for the candidate it wants to have. At the same time, what the opposition party does not want to have is a clusterfuck that lasts until the convention.

Mitt Romney could absolutely not get above 23% in GOP polling throughout all of 2010, 2011 and the first two months of 2012. He was absolutely locked in under 25%. That did not bode well for his general election campaign. George McGovern was anything but the clear front runner for the DEM nomination in 1972 and it was not good for his general election campaign, which was one of the most poorly run in all of history.

So, what we are seeing right now is, imo, totally healthy for the opposition party. Also to remember is that the GOP often picks the guy who was second the last time. Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee were practically tied for second place in the 2008 primaries:

Results of the 2008 Republican Party presidential primaries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 2011 polling, Huckabee was on the top of the pile for about 2 months time. So, it is only understandable that the GOP electorate may be willing to take a look at him again.

I consider it to be a good sign for the opposition party.

For the party in power in the WH, it is more of a mixed bag, as that party tends to prepare an "heir apparent" to the current president. See: Richard Nixon (1960), George Bush, Sr. (1988), Al Gore (2000). This is not happen in the Republican party in 2008.

Those were my two humble cents. :)

Forum List

Back