How Old Is The Earth?

Or are we trusting God’s perfectly accurate eyewitness account of the past, including the creation of the world, Noah’s global flood, and the age of the earth?"

Since there is virtually no agreement by Biblical scholars on how long it has been since 'God' created the universe.....why would anyone 'trust' any person's interpretation of what they believe God said?

I really don't care what you or any Christian believes is the age of the earth- faith is a bizarre thing.

But how anyone can ignore the fossils of dinosaurs and somehow come up with rationalizations both for the fossils and the earth only being 6,000 years old......I do not understand.

Or for that matter the obviousness of plate tectonics. Here in California it is obvious in many places where fault lines exist- and the earth has moved in opposite directions- for much longer than 6,000 years. Beyond that- look at Australia and Tasmania- Australia and New Guinea.

But in the end- as long as you don't insist that kids in public schools are taught your religious beliefs instead of science- I don't care.

Would think instead of guessing at when things in the Bible happened they'd just go by the Hebrew calendar.

5776 is the year. And thus age of the Earth. If into that sort of thing. :)

6,000 years or 4.1 billion?

Here is one argument .....

How Old Is the Earth?

"The age of the earth debate ultimately comes down to this foundational question: Are we trusting man’s imperfect and changing ideas and assumptions about the past? Or are we trusting God’s perfectly accurate eyewitness account of the past, including the creation of the world, Noah’s global flood, and the age of the earth?"
How Old Is the Earth ...

in terms of the Everlasting age would not be physical but conceptual ... the Garden is Forever.

How Old Is the Earth?

"The age of the earth debate ultimately comes down to this foundational question: Are we trusting man’s imperfect and changing ideas and assumptions about the past? Or are we trusting God’s perfectly accurate eyewitness account of the past, including the creation of the world, Noah’s global flood, and the age of the earth?"

I can pretty much attest to the fact that I am almost 72 years of age therefor I offer that the earth is older than I.

The Earth is still in its first day, and when I flick the switch it'll be day two. I'm undecided if y'all will be witness to this, it depends on how long you wish to continue this charade.

So how old do you think the earth is? :popcorn:

Honestly, I used to believe both, but now, not sure. There would be Christians that say if I were truly "born again" would "know" that the Earth is 6,000 years old (est.) but, I'm just being transparent here.....
You can't believe both, the earth can't be old and young at the same time. Old is based on facts, young is based on myths.

Yeah, I did not word that well......what I meant was:

there was a time (when I was an atheist) that I believed the "old".

then, when I was "born again" and came forward in church, after hearing and reading Christian sermons and literature etc., I believed the "young".
So you decided that facts don't matter? :dunno:

What humans believe to be factual is secondary to what God wants.
Wrong. God wants people to base things on facts. Just so he doesn't have to exist.

You can't believe both, the earth can't be old and young at the same time. Old is based on facts, young is based on myths.

Yeah, I did not word that well......what I meant was:

there was a time (when I was an atheist) that I believed the "old".

then, when I was "born again" and came forward in church, after hearing and reading Christian sermons and literature etc., I believed the "young".
So you decided that facts don't matter? :dunno:

What humans believe to be factual is secondary to what God wants.

God wants you to send me your money.

Those people are quacks - the ones on TV asking to send money.
All churches ask for money, ALL OF THEM.

The age of the Earth? By the Bible? By science? Well Isaac Newton himself wrote, that the time reference of people is subjective, and needs not be correlated with the time reference of God. The Bible may quote the 6000 years in God's time reference. There is no contradiction between that, and our human reference of 4.5 billion years.

Hmmmm no, I just believe anything is possible. Plus, I have seen and experienced things that maybe others have not - but might at one time in their lives.....

I think a truly intelligent person will research all arguments. I read the secular scientific data/information. I think its important to keep yourself informed on everything that is out there. I'm not expert, but I don't dig my heels in the sand and ignore other information.

I think secularists are more guilty of that than Christians
So how old do you think the earth is? :popcorn:

Honestly, I used to believe both, but now, not sure. There would be Christians that say if I were truly "born again" would "know" that the Earth is 6,000 years old (est.) but, I'm just being transparent here.....

Before you think something is impossible, consider the quantum "Measurement Problem" --

The best known example is the "paradox" of the Schrödinger's cat. A mechanism is arranged to kill a cat if a quantum event, such as the decay of a radioactive atom, occurs. Thus the fate of a large scale object, the cat, is entangled with the fate of a quantum object, the atom. Prior to observation, according to the Schrödinger equation, the cat is apparently evolving into a linear combination of states that can be characterized as an "alive cat" and states that can be characterized as a "dead cat". Each of these possibilities is associated with a specific nonzero probability amplitude; the cat seems to be in some kind of "combination" state called a "quantum superposition". However, a single, particular observation of the cat does not measure the probabilities: it always finds either a living cat, or a dead cat. After the measurement the cat is definitively alive or dead. The question is:How are the probabilities converted into an actual, sharply well-defined outcome?

In other words, if humans were not here to observe the universe, it would not simply be as it appears to be now sans us... that's what your logical mind reasons it should be.... The measurement problem posits the universe would not exist at all without an observer.

Also remember.... IF we were having this conversation in 1920, you would think it ridiculous and impossible for the Earth to be 4.1 billion years old. You would think maybe 20 million years. IF we're having this conversation in 1820, you'd think 1 million years. We're just covering a tiny span of 200 years in which man has contemplated the age of Earth and the universe.

Why is it that humans have this hubris that we assume to know everything there is to know at any given time? Why are estimates today any more valid than those of yesterday and how do you know they will be valid tomorrow?

Finally... what do you call it when you believe in something you can never prove?

In other words, if humans were not here to observe the universe, it would not simply be as it appears to be now sans us... that's what your logical mind reasons it should be.... The measurement problem posits the universe would not exist at all without an observer.

Shame The Devil and tell the truth, if you're basing your understanding of God’s perfectly accurate eyewitness account of the past on ancient Arab stories, it's the eyewitness accounts of the ancient Arab storytellers that you're trusting in.

:dunno:

I'm surprised that he did not include the rapture in his geophysical thesis. I am sure that he can find some proof of that prophecy as well.

6,000 years or 4.1 billion? ...

Since the first man had the idea to quantify the age of the Earth with 6000 years the following approximations show us today an age of the earth of about 4.6 billion years.

Last edited:
You only have to go dig in a cliff to see the fossil record for yourself. The further you go down into the rocks, the less developed life is. Oh I forgot, the creationists think that God planted the fossils to fool us.

Actually, Carson said that Satan is the one who planted the false fossils....

oh brother.... link? LOL!

My pleasure:

Ben Carson argued evolution was 'encouraged by' Satan

The guy is a bat shit lunatic

You only have to go dig in a cliff to see the fossil record for yourself. The further you go down into the rocks, the less developed life is. Oh I forgot, the creationists think that God planted the fossils to fool us.

Actually, Carson said that Satan is the one who planted the false fossils....

oh brother.... link? LOL!

My pleasure:

Ben Carson argued evolution was 'encouraged by' Satan

The guy is a bat shit lunatic

takes one to know one (I know I sound like I'm 5 but still... it's true....)

How Old Is the Earth?

answersingenesis?

More evidence for a young earth

Hovid is a fraud

Though he styles himself "Dr. Kent Hovind" or "Dr. Dino", Hovind's known degrees are all from unaccredited institutions.

In 1971, he graduated from East Peoria Community High School in East Peoria, Illinois. He entered the accredited Illinois Central College, then transferred to the unaccredited Midwestern Baptist College in 1972, attaining a Bachelor of Religious Education in 1974. In 1988 and 1991 respectively, Hovind received a master's degree and doctorate in Christian Education through correspondence from (also unaccredited) Patriot University in Colorado Springs, Colorado

250px-PatriotU_Crop.jpg

Hovid is a flaming kook with no science credentials

In addition

Sentencing, appeals, and imprisonment (2007–present)
After the convictions, Hovind was incarcerated in the Escambia County Jail as a "danger to the community" and a flight risk.[135] His wife would remain free until after the appeal.[136]

On January 19, 2007, Hovind was sentenced to ten years in prison with three years probation and ordered to pay the federal government restitution of over $600,000. During the sentencing phase, a tearful Hovind, hoping to avoid prison, told the court, "If it's just money the IRS wants, there are thousands of people out there who will help pay the money they want so I can go back out there and preach."[137] However, Hovind's court room behavior was in stark contrast to phone calls he made while in jail and played by the prosecution.[138] The tapes, posted online by the Pensacola News Journal, included one conversation with Kent and his son, Eric Hovind, planning to hide a motor vehicle title and property deeds to prevent the government from collecting the property to pay for owed debt.[139] At sentencing, he denied being a "tax protester",[138] but the prosecution,[108] an IRS spokesman,[138] and the Pensacola News Journal[7][131] used the term to describe him.

Kent Hovind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone who follows this guy and quotes him on anything scientific has a screw loose

How Old Is the Earth?

answersingenesis?

mock if you want... here's another...

Evidence for a Young World | The Institute for Creation Research

More evidence for a young earth

Hovid is a fraud

Though he styles himself "Dr. Kent Hovind" or "Dr. Dino", Hovind's known degrees are all from unaccredited institutions.

In 1971, he graduated from East Peoria Community High School in East Peoria, Illinois. He entered the accredited Illinois Central College, then transferred to the unaccredited Midwestern Baptist College in 1972, attaining a Bachelor of Religious Education in 1974. In 1988 and 1991 respectively, Hovind received a master's degree and doctorate in Christian Education through correspondence from (also unaccredited) Patriot University in Colorado Springs, Colorado

View attachment 53283

Hovid is a flaming kook with no science credentials

In addition

Sentencing, appeals, and imprisonment (2007–present)
After the convictions, Hovind was incarcerated in the Escambia County Jail as a "danger to the community" and a flight risk.[135] His wife would remain free until after the appeal.[136]

On January 19, 2007, Hovind was sentenced to ten years in prison with three years probation and ordered to pay the federal government restitution of over $600,000. During the sentencing phase, a tearful Hovind, hoping to avoid prison, told the court, "If it's just money the IRS wants, there are thousands of people out there who will help pay the money they want so I can go back out there and preach."[137] However, Hovind's court room behavior was in stark contrast to phone calls he made while in jail and played by the prosecution.[138] The tapes, posted online by the Pensacola News Journal, included one conversation with Kent and his son, Eric Hovind, planning to hide a motor vehicle title and property deeds to prevent the government from collecting the property to pay for owed debt.[139] At sentencing, he denied being a "tax protester",[138] but the prosecution,[108] an IRS spokesman,[138] and the Pensacola News Journal[7][131] used the term to describe him.

Kent Hovind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone who follows this guy and quotes him on anything scientific has a screw loose

As of 2013, Hovind claims four doctorates, in education, theology and biblical ministry with an honorary degree in divinity.

His first Ph.D., obtained before his vacation in club fed:

1. is from Patriot Bible University, a degree mill. Patriot sells doctorates for approximately $2,000.
  2. is in "Christian education." Hovind ignores the "Christian" part, instead describing it merely as in "education."
  3. is not recognized by any legitimate university, professional association, or governmental agency. Patriot Bible University only offers "programs which are religious in nature" and their "degrees or diplomas have no state recognition."[12]
  4. is officially unavailable to the public. Real doctoral dissertations are readily available through libraries or online. On December 9, 2009, Hovind's dissertation was uploaded to WikiLeaks and that copy mirrors the substandard quality - with spelling and grammar mistakes typical of a high school student - previously described by the few who had read it.
  5. was reviewed by only one person, Wayne Knight, the president of Patriot. In contrast, the standard practice for PhD dissertations is four or five doctoral committee members.
His 2013 Doctorate of Biblical Ministry (D.Min) is also from Patriot. His dissertation was made for sale as an e-book, entitled What on Earth is about to Happen... for Heaven's Sake?: A Dissertation on End Times According to the Bible, and claims Jesus will return in 2028.

Hovid neglects to mention which institutions awarded the theological doctorate and honorary divinity doctorate, probably because - like the Patriot doctorates - they are also the educational equivalent of an online ordination by the Universal Life Church.

Hovid listed himself as "Dr." in the Pensacola phone book, which is unusual even for someone with a real M.D or Ph.D. His blog, however, warns supporters that any mail addressed to "Dr. Kent Hovind" at the prison where he resides will be returned by the prison's mailroom staff.

When Hovind says he "taught high school math and science," he really means he taught children at three private Christian schools run out of churches (one of which he founded). At no point did Hovind earn any recognized credentials that would allow him to teach at public school or any school that requires accreditation.

Despite having no scientific credentials or even an accredited degree, hovid presents himself as someone who understands the science of evolution better than people with advanced science degrees who research in labs and publish peer-reviewed papers. During his presentations, he sounds like an auctioneer or a used car salesman when he is attempting to make a point by getting his audience to buy a video or book from him. Many of his slideshows read like a top 10 list of commonly seen (and refuted) "evidences" for creationism that contain little to no actual data or proof. These arguments are interjected with unfunny "jokes" and anecdotes, which are topped off with a healthy serving of mined quotes.

Patriot Bible University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Forum List

Back