how much do you tip?

Lower wages added with tips keeps the price of our restaurant and fast food costs down.
In Australia the price of a McDonald's single cheeseburger is 2.15. $2.00 when they run specials.
In America the price of a single cheeseburger is .89 cents and .99 for a double cheeseburger.
The Average hourly wage for a McDonald's worker here in America is around 7.63 to 7.85
They don't get tips because they are getting more that the average minimum wage.
In a Restaurant they get their hourly wage which on average is 2.13 plus tips that usually add up to anywhere from 7.25 to 10.00 or more an hour.

When I eat at a Restaurant I tip 20% unless the service is really bad then I tip 5 to 10%. If it is really lousy they get no tip at all.

And having cheap food is far more important than a hard working employee being paid a decent wage.

You just already said that you don't care if someone works hard for you. You either want great service or you don't, but you can't have it both ways. Clearly, you get what you pay for.

If someone works hard to please me, I am not going to tip them. I would, however, make a phone call to their boss and tell them of the exceptional service I received by said employee.

Never suggestion that it should be mandatory. I am saying there really isn't an incentive for servers to do their job well if they are getting a fixed income. .

So no one in any industry has any incentive to do their job well unless an additional bribe is included? That's bullshit. If such an attitude is prevalent, it would explain why service has gone completely to shit in this country over the past 30 years or so.

and thats how every one clever enough knows how to win. Their is other ways to even the score with out unions or lobbying D.C. you have to know how to work and hustle the game. it is a game you do know that right? '

Some people do have character and take pride in their work. You do know that, right?

I think it's the nature of the food service industry. Employees are generally paid lower wages since tips are a part of their income. Tipping is a tradition that goes way back. At least in this country.

Lower wages added with tips keeps the price of our restaurant and fast food costs down.
In Australia the price of a McDonald's single cheeseburger is 2.15. $2.00 when they run specials.
In America the price of a single cheeseburger is .89 cents and .99 for a double cheeseburger.
The Average hourly wage for a McDonald's worker here in America is around 7.63 to 7.85
They don't get tips because they are getting more that the average minimum wage.
In a Restaurant they get their hourly wage which on average is 2.13 plus tips that usually add up to anywhere from 7.25 to 10.00 or more an hour.

When I eat at a Restaurant I tip 20% unless the service is really bad then I tip 5 to 10%. If it is really lousy they get no tip at all.

And having cheap food is far more important than a hard working employee being paid a decent wage.

You do understand that these two things are connected right? You might think that a person that is paid 15 dollars an hour but pays 7.50 for their hamburger is no better off than the person that makes 5 dollars an hour and pays 2.50 for a hamburger. They both earn ‘2 hamburgers’ an hour.

That is the core reason that raising the minimum wage is tantamount to doing nothing. It simply increases the based cost of all goods made locally (as wages above minimum adjust accordingly) or the items stay the same price but use offshore workers (resulting in fewer jobs).

Anyway, back to the topic, tipping is just the way this nation takes care of its servers. The fact that you cannot understand that is really irrelevant. Many of these servers make far more than they ever will on wages and your way of taking care of servers is not really any different (the servers wages are built into the cost of the food). You might think that your way of doing so is superior but I like the idea that I determine what the value of the service I receive and my international experiences tell me that it works and works well.

guess their had to be a topic on here before like this....just ate a single diiner the bill was $22.50 gave her $40 bucks and told her to keep the change... I am a 48 year old single guy now. thats just me... how much do you tip? and do you lean left or right? just curious......

That's about what I would have done. I usually do 20%, but if the waitress or waiter just doesn't do a good job, I will tip, but it will be about 10% then.

Why should the waiter get extra money from you when they get paid to do their job? It is not your problem if they don't earn enough money. The employer needs to pay them more.

The employer does not have to pay them more. According to wage laws food servers, farm labor, and some other jobs pay about one-third minimum wage. The idea for wait staff is that they're actually working for the customer, not the restaurant.

It's grossly unfair, but there's little chance of the law being changed.

As for cashiers at convenience and drug stores, the top executives tell each store how many total employee hours can be worked. This often leaves the store short-staffed during peak hours. The cashiers usually are stocking shelves and helping customers find stuff, cleaning the store, handling phone calls from customers, making more pots of coffee or refilling the fountain drinks or putting out more sugar and creamers - and they eat lunch on their feet, there is no lunch hour. So they're often dead tired by the end of the day. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen cashiers crying.
it works out the same if the meal is $10.00 and you tip 15% $1.50 the meal costs you $ $11 .50

if the server is paid min wage or more and the cost of the meal is increased by 10% which would be a large increase with no tip it would cost $ 11 about The same or a little less and the waiter has no incentive to give good service ..the tip system insures at most times good service

I think it's the nature of the food service industry. Employees are generally paid lower wages since tips are a part of their income. Tipping is a tradition that goes way back. At least in this country.

Once more, from the top: a good waiter will take home VERY good money! Keep rereading that until it sinks in.

Once more, from the top: a good waiter will take home VERY good money! Keep rereading that until it sinks in.

Depends on your definition of good, and the establishment they work in.

My friend who tends bar makes more working the bar on the weekends than she does working her full time salaried job during the week. However, when my sister-in-law waited tables at our local diner, she was paid min. wage by the owner, because tips were so minuscule.

So no one in any industry has any incentive to do their job well unless an additional bribe is included? That's bullshit. If such an attitude is prevalent, it would explain why service has gone completely to shit in this country over the past 30 years or so.

and thats how every one clever enough knows how to win. Their is other ways to even the score with out unions or lobbying D.C. you have to know how to work and hustle the game. it is a game you do know that right? '

Some people do have character and take pride in their work. You do know that, right?

Interesting point I have strong character and take pride in my work thats why I sucked as a taxi cab driver, I gave away so many, almost free rides and some that were free. just felt sorry for the poor folks because I knew I was not going to do it forever. Just saying the greatest ride I had was a minority woman with a brand new baby, I picked her up at the local hospital, the meter said like $50 bucks when over,I told her its on the house.....

Anyways it was so funny my first wife would bitch that I would suck as a waitter....Because I couldnt play people like she did and she was right. I only play owners and plant managers with my skills....to get what I want, respect and do what ever I want to do and the raises will come latter or if I quit and get a better job. going after nickels and dimes not for me even though I know it adds up.

Interesting point I have strong character and take pride in my work thats why I sucked as a taxi cab driver, I gave away so many, almost free rides and some that were free. just felt sorry for the poor folks because I knew I was not going to do it forever. Just saying the greatest ride I had was a minority woman with a brand new baby, I picked her up at the local hospital, the meter said like $50 bucks when over,I told her its on the house.....

And I have to comment on my own thread thats whats great about being their still being independent jobs in America all you have to do is answer to yourself. what is the right thing to do? glad I learned the taxi drive experience because It taught me so much.....

Sometimes I think its not about money but doing the right thilng and sometimes we need to take the the attitude of Atlas Is Shrugging and get goverment out of of our way. just a thought....

The statement a good waiter takes home very good money is correct.

most of the folks doing this job CHOOSE it over working for a company that pays a wage for the reason just stated they are * waiting * out of choice not necessity. have you grasped that concept yet ?.

In some countries you have to "Tip" to get An exit visa or have a stamp on a piece of paper, (it's the custom), being "obliged" to tip is a bribe

guess their had to be a topic on here before like this....just ate a single diiner the bill was $22.50 gave her $40 bucks and told her to keep the change... I am a 48 year old single guy now. thats just me... how much do you tip? and do you lean left or right? just curious......

77% tip.......You looking to get laid?

Remember when service stations pumped the gas FOR you?
I wonder if those folks ever got a tip.
Of course that was back when gas was 30 cents/gallon LOL.

I remember that, and we never tipped - because they earned a decent wage.

77% tip.......You looking to get laid?

She was cute, but no I live in a college town. Clemson. guy or girl and will figure out real fast if they are a student [spl?] I always tip college kids big time if they are working and going to school.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back