How Many?

For all of us descendants of immigrants, if our earliest ancestors arriving in the US were held to a strict standard of having fluent English and immediately marketable, in-demand skills, how many of them would have been turned away?

Answer: Most
I simply don't care. They are gone and we are dealing with a separate issue today....

Anyone holding that infantile spite in their heart doesn't deserve to be an American.

84HHCV.gif
So My initial instinct for this thread was correct.........

If your "instinct" had been for a reasonable discussion, you would have been correct. Clearly, it was not.

Idiotic "I'm here, fuck everyone else!" or "no borders! Everyone hug!" bullshit was most certainly not the intention of this thread.

For all of us descendants of immigrants, if our earliest ancestors arriving in the US were held to a strict standard of having fluent English and immediately marketable, in-demand skills, how many of them would have been turned away?

They taught English on Ellis Island. And since most of the early settlers and those after them were from England then I would say that most did speak English.

a) Wow, no

b) Most immigrants have been from England throughout the history of the US? No

c) About 20 percent of those passing through Ellis Island were detained for a time. The rest passed through. Those being detained stayed for varying lengths of time. Not a lot of learning going on that way. And of course, as relates to current events...

U.S. Immigration Before 1965 - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com

They taught English on Ellis Island. And since most of the early settlers and those after them were from England then I would say that most did speak English.

Boy, do you need to take some history classes.

Waves Of Immigration In America Timeline | Preceden
I should have said England and Europe, not just England. But the requirement to speak English has been enforced before and was taught on Ellis Island, you ought to visit the place.

What quantified evidence have you that your conclusion is accurate?

It is so for my ancestors because I know they came from England as formally educated and moderately successful merchants; thus they had the resources gained from liquidating their assets in England and to use for starting a business in America where, by their estimation, they faced fewer competitive pressures, lower operating and fixed costs, and a larger potential market than they did in England. I doubt that set of circumstances were so for most of the thousands of 19th century immigrants who came from Germany, Italy, and other non-English-speaking countries.

In the 19th century as now, there was plenty of American demand for skilled workers. A key difference is that then all that was really needed was an able body whereas now, the skills most in demand are intellectual. Another key difference is that in 19th century, Americans and immigrants alike clamored for jobs, including those that required only an able body. Today, however, few Americans are willing to accept jobs that, in order to be offered the, require an able body. Such jobs, nonetheless, need to be performed, and it's lowly skilled immigrants who are willing to do them at the wages offered for doing them.

Boy, do you need to take some history classes.

Waves Of Immigration In America Timeline | Preceden
I should have said England and Europe, not just England. But the requirement to speak English has been enforced before and was taught on Ellis Island, you ought to visit the place.

I have visited Ellis Island. it opened in 1892 as a federal immigration station, a purpose it served for more than 60 years until it closed in 1954. I doubt that English proficiency was required before, during or after Ellis Island served as a federal immigration station.

Here is a link to the current requirements:

English and Civics Testing - Chapter 2, Part E, Volume 12 | Policy Manual | USCIS

...Today, however, few Americans are willing to accept jobs that, in order to be offered the, require an able body. .....

False.

The rigorously credible content I have read and that comes from neutral and partisan researchers does not support your attestation that my statement is false.

... back then people learned English ...]

Eventually. Just like today.
No today, with Press 2 for Spanish, it is no longer "REQUIRED" for illegal immigrants(future democrat voters) to learn English. Also when those illegals go to vote, instead of understanding English on the ballot, those lovely "compassionate" Liberals, provide translators. Don't doubt me...

No today, with Press 2 for Spanish, it is no longer "REQUIRED" for illegal immigrants(future democrat voters) to learn English. Also when those illegals go to vote, instead of understanding English on the ballot, those lovely "compassionate" Liberals, provide translators. Don't doubt me...

I don't doubt you, I KNOW you are full of shit. Immigrants today understand the importance of learning English as well as those before them did. Immigrants today tend to learn it faster.

I don't doubt you, I KNOW you are full of shit. Immigrants today understand the importance of learning English as well as those before them did. Immigrants today tend to learn it faster.
But the illegal immigrant who broke the law coming here, couldn't care less what they learn, they are here for the FREE stuff, and when that goes away, they head to other pastures like their home or now Canada. Only person full of shit is you , who has your head way up Uranus.

liberals-head-up-his-ass.jpg

Not talking about ILLEGAL immigrants, dumbass. Pay attention.

I have a line that came from Italy in about 1920. My great grandmother never spoke a word of English because she never had the opportunity to encounter English speaking people on a regular basis. Her husband spoke English because he went out into the larger community. In order to survive some immigrants opened up food shops (delis, butcher shops, bakeries, restaurants) to cater to their own communities that would speak the language.

That said, the population was 108.5 million in 1920. If you were a guy or even a female then you were competing against children working in factories. So, mines, factories, farms, slaughter houses. Not necessarily skilled work force and it served to lower wages for the native population at the time. There weren't a whole lot of people that graduated high school. Before 1920 the factory model, like the Gary Plan, was in use in about 200 cities. The business community wanted kids to learn all about moving at the sound of a bell and pretty much operate like an assembly line.

Today when we look at immigration it is far more difficult to teach English to someone that is not literate in their primary language and due to the only English in the US crowd there aren't a whole lot of folks that can even speak/translate some of the other languages that we have.

Since the motivation is still the same (decrease wages) speaking English is really not relevant. It's a distraction.

Today when we look at immigration it is far more difficult to teach English to someone that is not literate in their primary language .....

There were probably more immigrants illiterate in their first language in the 1800s than today.

When the country needed more people. Now we're pretty much full up of unskilled douchers.

Now a days we get dumb Asians Muslims and Mexicans who can't speak.

And who cares? Until wages go up for workers we are cutting immigration in half.

You took teaching in college not economics so shut up dummy

I have a line that came from Italy in about 1920. My great grandmother never spoke a word of English because she never had the opportunity to encounter English speaking people on a regular basis. Her husband spoke English because he went out into the larger community. In order to survive some immigrants opened up food shops (delis, butcher shops, bakeries, restaurants) to cater to their own communities that would speak the language.

That said, the population was 108.5 million in 1920. If you were a guy or even a female then you were competing against children working in factories. So, mines, factories, farms, slaughter houses. Not necessarily skilled work force and it served to lower wages for the native population at the time. There weren't a whole lot of people that graduated high school. Before 1920 the factory model, like the Gary Plan, was in use in about 200 cities. The business community wanted kids to learn all about moving at the sound of a bell and pretty much operate like an assembly line.

Today when we look at immigration it is far more difficult to teach English to someone that is not literate in their primary language and due to the only English in the US crowd there aren't a whole lot of folks that can even speak/translate some of the other languages that we have.

Since the motivation is still the same (decrease wages) speaking English is really not relevant. It's a distraction.

:cuckoo:

Today when we look at immigration it is far more difficult to teach English to someone that is not literate in their primary language .....

There were probably more immigrants illiterate in their first language in the 1800s than today.

The demands are different today. Compulsory education was not a thang at that time.

Forum List

Back