How Many?

For all of us descendants of immigrants, if our earliest ancestors arriving in the US were held to a strict standard of having fluent English and immediately marketable, in-demand skills, how many of them would have been turned away?

Answer: Most
When the country needed more people. Now we're pretty much full up ....

No, we are not.

For all of us descendants of immigrants, if our earliest ancestors arriving in the US were held to a strict standard of having fluent English and immediately marketable, in-demand skills, how many of them would have been turned away?

Now a days we get dumb Asians Muslims and Mexicans who can't speak.

Wrong.

Asian and Muslim immigrants tend to be (or become) educated.

Latino immigrants (no, not every Latino is from Mexico, dummy) are acquiring English as well as their predecessors.

And who cares? Until wages go up for workers we are cutting immigration in half.

Wrong. Watch and see.

You took teaching in college ....

Wrong again. Stop guessing, you suck at it.

Today when we look at immigration it is far more difficult to teach English to someone that is not literate in their primary language .....

There were probably more immigrants illiterate in their first language in the 1800s than today.

The demands are different today. Compulsory education was not a thang at that time.

Which proves your claim wrong.

I have a line that came from Italy in about 1920. My great grandmother never spoke a word of English because she never had the opportunity to encounter English speaking people on a regular basis. Her husband spoke English because he went out into the larger community. In order to survive some immigrants opened up food shops (delis, butcher shops, bakeries, restaurants) to cater to their own communities that would speak the language.

That said, the population was 108.5 million in 1920. If you were a guy or even a female then you were competing against children working in factories. So, mines, factories, farms, slaughter houses. Not necessarily skilled work force and it served to lower wages for the native population at the time. There weren't a whole lot of people that graduated high school. Before 1920 the factory model, like the Gary Plan, was in use in about 200 cities. The business community wanted kids to learn all about moving at the sound of a bell and pretty much operate like an assembly line.

Today when we look at immigration it is far more difficult to teach English to someone that is not literate in their primary language and due to the only English in the US crowd there aren't a whole lot of folks that can even speak/translate some of the other languages that we have.

Since the motivation is still the same (decrease wages) speaking English is really not relevant. It's a distraction.

:cuckoo:

Why? I am thinking of Dade County, Florida and the English only movement. That movement began in Dade County.
English-only drive mirrors deeper Miami unrest

In 1980 they passed an anti-bilingual ordinance after a large influx of Cuban refugees. It started with the Marielitos and are the "third wave" of Cuban immigrants. The difference between this wave and the prior ones is that the prior two were middle class and upper middle class and came with money AND had lighter skin. Most of that third wave are in Miami. Absorbing 125,000 people is hard. Absorbing 62,000 is hard. Cubans are not the only noobs. And there are about 750 that are homeless. Not including the native homeless population.
For 750 Cuban Refugees, United States Is a Tent City Under the Expressway

That 750 are relocated and resettled by the way.Jobs, housing, and prison for some.
Mariel: From turmoil to triumph | Havana Journal

Miami had (and still does) have a lack of affordable housing and what was available was run by slum lords. There was massive tension between native African Americans and the Cubans because the immigrants appeared to have the opportunity to climb up the social ladder that they couldn't do. Jobs were a factor. The elderly were screwed no matter how you were categorized as.

And there are other things that are going on in 1980 in the background. In May there were the riots
Miami Riot Continues
Miami (Liberty City) Riot, 1980 | The Black Past: Remembered and Reclaimed

There is an increase in crime.
Miami Homicides at a Record-Killing Pace

That ordinance is repealed in 1993. By that time, there is a huge influx of people from the Eastern Bloc in Florida.

Did English only solve any of those problems? Hell no because English only was not a cause of these problems. And the Cubans on the third wave were classified as Refugees.

Last edited:
You understand it. You just don't like it. English and relevancy.

You understand it. You just don't like it. English and relevancy.

No, really, try again. What the heck is your point?

The original point is that the issues are economic and marketable, in-demand skills are not lacking in the population here.Pretending that there is a need for them is a lie. People with less skills WILL and have displaced the low wage earners and draw from the public resources. It doesn't address the problems because it lowers the the wages for people with marketable skills so now there are more that need the resources. There is a vast difference between the immigration of yore and the immigration of today. No real comparison.

The second addressed English fluency and having the standard does not address the over all issues. It's a distraction from the economic issues which is the cause. It has been tried and didn't appear to solve a damn thing because it wasn't a the cause. It was and still is reactionary.

That brief history of Miami from the 80s to 1993 was informative and all, however, it didn't make any kind of point whatsoever.

My suggestion for you is to go to Miami and try to buy something from behind the counter in a convenience store.

Good Luck!

That brief history of Miami from the 80s to 1993 was informative and all, however, it didn't make any kind of point whatsoever.

My suggestion for you is to go to Miami and try buy something from behind the counter in a convenience store.

I lived in Florida. Demanding English fluency is nonsensical because it does not address the core economic issues.

My suggestion for you is to go to Miami and try buy something from behind the counter in a convenience store.

I lived in Florida.

That explains a bit.

Let me guess: Palatka, amirite?

(Palatka is the West Virginia of Florida)

I lived in Florida.

That explains a bit.

Let me guess: Palatka, amirite?

(Palatka is the West Virginia of Florida)

Key West.

So you wear pink and purple jelly shoes, then? English is the main language in Key West. Try going to a Miami convenience store and describing to the clerk what you want.

Forum List

Back