How Liberals Created Ronald Reagan

Discussion in 'History' started by PoliticalChic, Jul 20, 2012.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,848
    1. “If liberals had supported Ronald Reagan the actor, they wouldn't have had to deal with Ronald Reagan the politician.

2. In 1954, my father Ronald Reagan began hosting a weekly TV series, "General Electric Theater." The show aired Sunday nights at 9 on CBS, and consistently ranked in the top 10. Dad hosted the show and appeared as an actor in a number of episodes. Nancy made sure we watched it every week.

3. …he toured the country by train and visited GE factories, local chambers of commerce and civic groups. The thousands of speeches he gave helped prepare him for bigger things to come.

4. But I haven't felt warm and fuzzy toward GE since that day in 1962 when Dad came home and told us he had just been fired by GE and his show, "General Electric Theater," was canceled.

5. Dad explained that CBS hadn't canceled the highly rated show. Instead, GE had pulled the plug. As the company was negotiating some government contracts, Bobby Kennedy, the attorney general of the United States, bluntly informed GE that if the company wished to do business with the U.S. government, it would get rid of "General Electric Theater" and fire the host.

6. Dad had criticized the Kennedy administration in some of his speeches, and the administration fought back through the president's brother. Within 48 hours of Bobby Kennedy's call, Ronald Reagan was out of a job.

7. So, in a backhanded way, Bobby Kennedy launched Ronald Reagan's political career. It was a classic case of liberals outsmarting themselves. If Bobby Kennedy had let Ronald Reagan continue hosting his successful TV show, would my father have run for governor? Doubtful. And if he had not been elected governor, he certainly would not have run for president of the United States.

8. Sometimes the Law of Unintended Consequences is a good thing!"
    Ronald Reagan's Son Remembers The Day When GE Fired His Dad - Investors.com

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Friends

Friends Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +357
    If Ronald Reagan had kept his position on General Electric Theater he would have been better positioned to begin his political career.

Ronald Reagan was the most prominent leader of a Republican renaissance that owed its existence to factors that frightened or irritated the white majority from the left, and to the unwillingness of Democrats to deal with those irritants.

When Reagan ran against Pat Brown for governor of California in 1966 he claimed that Pat Brown had been insufficiently harsh with those who participated in the Watts riot of 1965, and with the Berkeley free speech demonstrators.

As the black ghetto riots continued every summer, and as the Berkeley free speech movement segued into the student movement in many universities, support for the Republicans increased.

Although the Tet Offensive of 1968 ended enthusiasm for the War in Vietnam anti war protesters alienated most white voters with the anti American and pro Communist expressions that seemed to characterize them.

White moderates felt that black behavior should have improved because of the civil rights legislation and the war on poverty. Instead there were five years of black ghetto riots from 1964 to 1968. The crime rate doubled from 1960 to 1970.

United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2010

These factors caused white moderates to move to the Republican Party.

3. OldUSAFSniper

OldUSAFSniper Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +868
    Ronald Reagan was one of the top five BEST Presidents that this nation has ever had. I believe without a shadow of a doubt that history will look back on his Presidency and see that he took this country from the precipice of disaster to one of it's greatest periods. Unfortunately, what he built, what he believed in and what he envisioned has been slowly destroyed by the current and past several administrations ( and I include GWB in this as well).

Things happen for a reason. We may not know what the reason is, we may never know. But there is a reason. My mother told me that and I believe it with all my heart.

We need another Ronald Reagan. We need someone who can raise this nation from the ashes where Barry has firmly placed us. But sadly, I do not see one.

Great thread...

4. Friends

Friends Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +357
    Ronald Reagan was more successful than Jimmy Carter. Nevertheless, Carter was a better president.

When Carter was president an average of 2,600,000 jobs were created every year. Under Reagan that declined to 2,000,000.

Bush On Jobs: The Worst Track Record On Record - Real Time Economics - WSJ

The highest rate of unemployment under Carter was 7.8 percent. Under Reagan unemployment rose to 10.8 percent. The highest under President Obama has been 10.0 percent.

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/data/UNRATE.txt

Although Reagan raised taxes several times, the top tax rate declined from 70 percent to 28 percent.

Historical Top Tax Rate

Consequently, during the Reagan administration real after tax income for eighty percent of the population declined.

The Vampire Economy | DNDN Message Board Posts

And the national debt doubled.

History of the United States public debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The inflation that ended Carter's presidency, and which declined during Reagan's presidency was due to fluctuations in the price of petroleum over which neither president had much control.

http://www.inflationdata.com/inflation/Inflation_Rate/Historical_Oil_Prices_Table.asp

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  5. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    So G.E. has been controlling the Gov't since 1962 eh? I'm shocked I tell ya'!

Liberals should do a little research to see just how many G.E. connected people work for, excuse me, CONTROL Obama. It's not JUST the Bankers that own him.

6. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,848
    Welcome to the board, Friend....

Enough chit-chat:

"Nevertheless, Carter was a better president."

No doubt you teach geopolitical history at one of our noteworthy universities....

You won't like this:

“1980…Carter was the bumbling, egotistical coward bent on surrendering to the Soviets, who claimed to have been attacked by a giant swimming rabbit. Carter’s economic policies had produced a 21% interest rate, a 17% mortgage rate, and a 15% inflation rate in a ‘hat trick’ of presidential incompetence. Not only that, but he had produced skyrocketing unemployment.

Carter’s brilliant strategic ploy of abandoning the shah of Iran, an important American ally, soon led to soaring oil prices and, of course, Islamic lunatics holding fifty-two Americans hostage in Tehran, where they remained for 444 days, until Carter was safely removed from office by the American people. (Carter’s abandonment of the shah also gave rise to the global Islamofascist movement we’re still dealing with today.)

Under Carter, Americans were permitted to put gas in their cars only on alternate days, based on whether the last number of their license plates wan an even or odd number. The price of oil had risen 154% since the beginning of Carter’s presidency.

With all that going for them- plus that old Mondale magic- Democrats were dumbstruck that they lost the 1980 election. (Nor could they understand why gas prices, inflation and interest rates shot down and the nation enjoyed peace and prosperity soon after Reagan became president.) Naturally liberals asked themselves” What other than a dirty trick could explain Carter’s loss?

The Left’s theory was that in October, one month before the 1980 presidential election, members of Reagan’s campaign clandestinely met with representatives of the Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini and offered to sell him weapons in exchange for his promise not to release the hostages before the election. By delaying the release of the hostages, the theory went, Reagan would deprive Carter of a triumphant victory on the eve of the vote. In other words, liberals believed the Islamofascist cutthroats who had been toying with Carter like a cat with a ball of yarn for the past year wanted Carter replaced by someone stronger, like Reagan.

But it seemed like a perfectly plausible theory to the editorial board of the New York Times.”
    Coulter, “Demonic,” p. 84-85

7. Moonglow

Moonglow Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,322
    When Ronny was president he did the same thing to counter culture icons Cheech and Chong, and many others.
    In 1954 Reagan was an actor but then after his acting days died he became the Screen Actors Guild president. A labor union.

8. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,848
    Do you have a point to make....or your usual post?

9. bobcollum

bobcollum BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,003
    Did you just hear this story?

10. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,848
    It was mentioned in one of the books that I'm reading this week....why do you ask?