How is Rick Perry Governing working out for Texas?

It appears that Texas under Perry is doing better than America under Obama.
If you have any proof that Texas isn't doing better relative to the other states, please present it.
If you want to build strawmen based on imaginary claims on this thread, don't bother.

They're not imaginary claims. People in this same thread said that Texas is doing better under Rick Perry than it was before. You only have to go back a couple of pages to see it.

And you're missing the point by trying to compare Texas to other states. My contention is that Perry has done more to damage Texas than Obama has to damage the United States. The fact that Texas is doing better than, say, Mississippi doesn't really have anything to do with it.

I'll say it again, the only achievements Rick Perry claims in almost 11 years as Governor are 1) job growth (which is a lie) and 2) strong economy (which has nothing to do with who is the Governor; it's ALWAYS been strong and has in fact been stronger under other Governors). As for what he's done wrong, let's see, he's murdered our educational system, he's done nothing about the fact that we're #1 in the nation in carcinogens released into the air, he's forced girls to get an HPV vaccine that most doctors think is either unnecessary or even dangerous, he's done nothing to stop illegal immigration (partly because it helps him claim to have created jobs), and, by the way, he's used tax dollars for kickbacks to campaign contributors. I could go on, but this should be sufficient. Texas is absolutely worse off than it was when Perry took office.

As for Obama, how is the United States worse off than it was 2.5 years ago? The economy is more or less the same (had rebounded but has now regressed to about where it was), unemployment is more or less the same, the stock market is much higher in spite of its recent struggles, he's repaired a lot of the international relationships that Bush strained, and so on. I'm not going to pretend that this any more than a mediocre record, but how is it worse than Perry's? Perry inherited a much better situation than Obama did and has done much worse, and, I'll say it again, stole from the state's tax coffers to pay off his campaign contributors.

And you're missing the point by trying to compare Texas to other states. My contention is that Perry has done more to damage Texas than Obama has to damage the United States.

So prove your contention.

As for Obama, how is the United States worse off than it was 2.5 years ago?

The claims I've seen are that over the last 2.5 years, Texas has performed better than the US.
If you have proof otherwise, let's see it.

You continue to miss the point in staggering fashion. Perry's tenure should be judged by the situation he inherited and how that situation has changed under his leadership. Same goes for Obama. Saying "But Texas is doing better than the rest of the US" is completely irrelevant. Texas is doing far worse than it was 11 years ago. The US is doing more or less the same as it was 2.5 years ago. The end.

Under Perry, Texas leads in job growth, though many are low-wage | Perry Watch - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News
Jobs as food preparer-servers, waiters and waitresses, which generally pay about $9 an hour, increased by 120,000 positions in Texas over the past 11 years, or more than twice the national growth rate, a Dallas Morning News analysis of occupational data found.

The state’s construction laborers, paid an average of about $12 an hour, also surged, their ranks swelling 35 percent in Texas even as they declined 5 percent nationally.

John Doggett, a lecturer in management at the McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas at Austin, points to several tailwinds for Texas. Public education improvements that began in the 1980s, cheap housing and attractive suburban cities that are within a reasonable commute of jobs have combined with the lack of a state income tax to lure high-tech and other desirable companies, he said.

“A big part of what’s happened is that we’ve had a policy in this state that says we’re going to try to keep costs down,” he said. “This place is going to do well for a long while — unless we do something stupid.”
hmmmmm. improvements in education? I thought TEX said the education system was 'being murdered' by Perry. How odd.

Looking at broad categories of employment since the national recession ended in June 2009, Texas job growth has been concentrated in education and health services; a job category that includes retail; professional and business services; and another that includes oil and gas extraction. While average wages in the first two are below the state average, the latter two typically offer higher-than-average pay.
But... but... don't they know they're being murdered in that field?

But of the top 10 occupations in the state, only two — nurses and elementary school teachers — earned on average more than $15 an hour last year. For the nurses, mean pay was $31.82 an hour; and for the teachers, on a 12-month basis, it was $24.56.
How could a teacher possibly live on such a paltry sum.

Did Rick Perry Sink the Texas Economy? (Corrected Version) | Beat the Press

Over the years from 1987 to 2001, annual job growth in Texas averaged 2.8 percent. This is 0.8 percentage points higher than the growth rate for the economy as a whole. In the ten years since Governor Perry took office job growth has averaged just over 1.0 percent annually, during a period in which employment in the country as a whole actually shrank slightly. This makes the gap in the Perry years just under 1.1 percent. This means that, at least by the measure of job growth, Perry does have something to show in Texas.

Texas_growth_2028_image001.png

Yeah, a bunch of new jobs have been created in the restaurant and construction industries because a bunch of illegal immigrants have come here. How is that a feather in Perry's cap?

The unemployment rate when Perry took over was 4.2% The most recent figure is 8.2%. The only reason more jobs have been "created" is because more people have come to Texas (mostly from Mexico and mostly illegally). Perry's job creation record is a joke and anyone who doesn't see it from the very simple unemployment statistics is simply refusing to look at them. Almost twice as many Texans are out of work right now as when Perry took over. Period.

As for education growth, that author is using old data that does not take into account the massive layoff this summer and the inevitable future layoffs after Perry's $4 billion education spending cut. If you think we're growing in education jobs, I have some property here in Austin with a great view of the Gulf Coast that I'd like to sell you.

Sizing Up Texas

Texas has produced nearly 40% of all new jobs in the US since 2009

Going back to 2001, Texas has added more than 2.1 million jobs, according to EMSI’s latest complete dataset, while the rest of the nation has combined for 6.2 million new jobs.

What have been the biggest job gainers? Health care and social assistance (421,000-plus) and government (nearly 282,000) have made the largest additions to their payrolls in the last decade.

yeah. Perry sucks for Texas.

Yeah, a bunch of new jobs have been created in the restaurant and construction industries because a bunch of illegal immigrants have come here. How is that a feather in Perry's cap?

The unemployment rate when Perry took over was 4.2% The most recent figure is 8.2%. The only reason more jobs have been "created" is because more people have come to Texas (mostly from Mexico and mostly illegally). Perry's job creation record is a joke and anyone who doesn't see it from the very simple unemployment statistics is simply refusing to look at them. Almost twice as many Texans are out of work right now as when Perry took over. Period.

As for education growth, that author is using old data that does not take into account the massive layoff this summer and the inevitable future layoffs after Perry's $4 billion education spending cut. If you think we're growing in education jobs, I have some property here in Austin with a great view of the Gulf Coast that I'd like to sell you.

Interesting how you continually make all these statements, but offer no credible links to back them up... while everyone else is providing links to credible sources for their comments.

Can you provide a link to a credible source that proves your statements?

We'll wait...

Are you really asking for a link that shows that illegal immigrants have been flooding to Texas?

I'm going to say this one more time, and I'll bold it for you, so maybe you'll see that continuing to post links about job creation (and failing to notice that a couple of them are actually pretty critical of the job creation coming almost entirely in shitty, low-paying jobs) will be a waste of your time.

The unemployment rate in Texas when Perry took over was 4.2%. I said before that the most recent figure was 8.2%, but upon further review, the July stat is now available: 8.4%. That's right: the unemployment rate is actually going up RIGHT NOW under this job creating machine!

There are twice as many Texans out of work as there were when Perry took over.

We are now just 0.9% below the highest unemployment rate this state has ever had.

But by all means, bury your head in the sand and buy what Perry's selling.

Last edited:
They're not imaginary claims. People in this same thread said that Texas is doing better under Rick Perry than it was before. You only have to go back a couple of pages to see it.

And you're missing the point by trying to compare Texas to other states. My contention is that Perry has done more to damage Texas than Obama has to damage the United States. The fact that Texas is doing better than, say, Mississippi doesn't really have anything to do with it.

I'll say it again, the only achievements Rick Perry claims in almost 11 years as Governor are 1) job growth (which is a lie) and 2) strong economy (which has nothing to do with who is the Governor; it's ALWAYS been strong and has in fact been stronger under other Governors). As for what he's done wrong, let's see, he's murdered our educational system, he's done nothing about the fact that we're #1 in the nation in carcinogens released into the air, he's forced girls to get an HPV vaccine that most doctors think is either unnecessary or even dangerous, he's done nothing to stop illegal immigration (partly because it helps him claim to have created jobs), and, by the way, he's used tax dollars for kickbacks to campaign contributors. I could go on, but this should be sufficient. Texas is absolutely worse off than it was when Perry took office.

As for Obama, how is the United States worse off than it was 2.5 years ago? The economy is more or less the same (had rebounded but has now regressed to about where it was), unemployment is more or less the same, the stock market is much higher in spite of its recent struggles, he's repaired a lot of the international relationships that Bush strained, and so on. I'm not going to pretend that this any more than a mediocre record, but how is it worse than Perry's? Perry inherited a much better situation than Obama did and has done much worse, and, I'll say it again, stole from the state's tax coffers to pay off his campaign contributors.

And you're missing the point by trying to compare Texas to other states. My contention is that Perry has done more to damage Texas than Obama has to damage the United States.

So prove your contention.

As for Obama, how is the United States worse off than it was 2.5 years ago?

The claims I've seen are that over the last 2.5 years, Texas has performed better than the US.
If you have proof otherwise, let's see it.

You continue to miss the point in staggering fashion. Perry's tenure should be judged by the situation he inherited and how that situation has changed under his leadership. Same goes for Obama. Saying "But Texas is doing better than the rest of the US" is completely irrelevant. Texas is doing far worse than it was 11 years ago. The US is doing more or less the same as it was 2.5 years ago. The end.

Perry's tenure should be judged by the situation he inherited and how that situation has changed under his leadership.

If you want to run for governor of Texas and can show you would have done better than Perry over the last 11 years, you are free to use that criteria to do so.

"But Texas is doing better than the rest of the US" is completely irrelevant. Texas is doing far worse than it was 11 years ago.

Because of things Perry did and failed to do?

The US is doing more or less the same as it was 2.5 years ago.

And Texas appears to be doing better than 2.5 years ago.
Unless you provide evidence it is not, I'll stick by my claim.
And that is what will be relevant if Perry gets the nomination, not how Texas did in 2000.

Are you really asking for a link that shows that illegal immigrants have been flooding to Texas?

I'm going to say this one more time, and I'll bold it for you, so maybe you'll see that continuing to post links about job creation (and failing to notice that a couple of them are actually pretty critical of the job creation coming almost entirely in shitty, low-paying jobs) will be a waste of your time.

The unemployment rate in Texas when Perry took over was 4.2% I said before that the most recent stat was 8.2%, but upon further review, the July stat is now available: 8.4%. That's right: the unemployment rate is actually going up RIGHT NOW under this job creating machine!

We are now just 0.9% below the highest unemployment rate this state has ever had

No, jock-itch. I'm asking for a link that proves THESE STATEMENTs (bold added to get your attention, seems that seems a little difficult).

Yeah, a bunch of new jobs have been created in the restaurant and construction industries because a bunch of illegal immigrants have come here.

The only reason more jobs have been "created" is because more people have come to Texas (mostly from Mexico and mostly illegally).
You specifically state that the new jobs are all for illegals.

I want a link that show this to be the case... that all the new jobs in TX were taken by illegals.

From a credible source, please.

dip shit.

I just looked up the historical low for unemployment in Texas.

4.2%.

So, Rick Perry inherited the lowest unemployment rate in this state's history and in less than 11 years doubled it to less than 1 percentage point below the highest unemployment rate in this state's history.

What a job creating mastermind!

The unemployment rate when Perry took over was 4.2% The most recent figure is 8.2%. The only reason more jobs have been "created" is because more people have come to Texas (mostly from Mexico and mostly illegally).

So if Obama kicked out all the illegals he'd hurt the Texas economy and might be re-elected?
He'd better get started today!!!

PolitiFact Texas | Rick Perry says Texas accounted for 48 percent of U.S. jobs created after recession's end

"One can quibble over the numbers as well as the methodologies and time frames used to calculate Texas' job gains," Weinstein said by email. The big picture, he said, is that Texas has fared better than other big states since the recession and indeed over the past 20 years, for reasons including, he said, "enlightened" leadership, demographics and the resurgent energy sector.

Texas jobs from 2000 to 2010 are up by an average monthly increase of 910.4 thousand, a bigger increase than any other state. However, Texas also had the biggest increase in population in the same period, which was up 4.3 million between 2000 and 2010. Despite the new jobs, population growth was four times faster than jobs.
Seems like Perry did a better job at tying to keep jobs in step with population than the US did.

The unemployment rate in Texas when Perry took over was 4.2%. I said before that the most recent figure was 8.2%, but upon further review, the July stat is now available: 8.4%. That's right: the unemployment rate is actually going up RIGHT NOW under this job creating machine!

We are now just 0.9% below the highest unemployment rate this state has ever had.

But by all means, bury your head in the sand and buy what Perry's selling.

How many more are working since Perry took over?

Texas Ahead: Economic Outlook
Job growth, sales tax collections – both from business and consumer purchases – as well as automobile sales, signal that the Texas economy has emerged from the recent recession.

Through July 2011, 95 percent of the jobs shed by employers during Texas’ shorter recession have already been recovered as our economy rebounds more quickly than the U.S. as a whole. Nationally, only 22 percent of recession-hit jobs have been recovered.

Texas total nonfarm employment increased by 29,300 jobs from June to July. Between July 2010 and July 2011, Texas gained 269,500 jobs.

The Texas unemployment rate has been at or below the national rate for 55 consecutive months.

U.S. consumer confidence increased by 3.3 percent from June 2011 to July 2011, jumping from 57.6 to 59.5. The confidence index now stands 16.7 percent higher than one year ago.
The Texas region’s consumer confidence index increased 7.9 percent from June 2011 to July 2011, jumping from 75.5 to 81.5. The Texas region’s consumer confidence index is up 23.5 percent from its level one year ago.

yeah.... Perry sucks for Texas.

So, Texas has $87 billion to just throw around, right? That's all a total surplus, right? Money isn't already spent or committed, right?

You're such a fucking moron, you're starting to make Tm look relatively intelligent... and that is saying something.

Do you know how to budget money? Right? You are a fucking imbecile who doesn't know how the world works, boy. Go read a book, get some polly 101, you are out of your league here sonny. Fuckin' lil girliemon.

Without even adding a 1-2% state tax hike, Perry raked in over $27 Billion from the feds for his slush fund, TO STIMULATE THE TEXAS ECONOMY. He used his rain god for his water woes. His choice idiot!!

you are so totally stupid, it defies explanation.

You whine that TX took in 87 billion, and he should have used all that money for desalination plants. Then, when I point out to you that there were 'other things' that money was already destined for, you change direction and whine that Perry should have used all the stimulus money he got for the desalination plants.
LOL! You fucking imbecile, you repeated yourself twice, and then claim there is a conflict? LMAO!! Talk about ignorance.

Neither time do you admit that those 100 additional plants would have collectively cost over $100 billion. Do the math, jock-itch. He'd have still been short on the desalination funds, and had ZERO money to run the fucking state!

Did your parents have any children that lived?

I never said the plants would cost a billion, but since you are confused, bring the link here so I can call you a fucking liar. LMAO! You do know it is a violation of USMB rules to bring up a posters relatives? Aside, you seem deranged and confused. Are you on crack, either in the sheets or on the pipe?:lol::lol:

He's working out much better for Texas than the Hopey Changey One is working out for our Nation. Perry in a Landslide. See ya in 2012. :)

Last edited:
Do you know how to budget money? Right? You are a fucking imbecile who doesn't know how the world works, boy. Go read a book, get some polly 101, you are out of your league here sonny. Fuckin' lil girliemon.

Without even adding a 1-2% state tax hike, Perry raked in over $27 Billion from the feds for his slush fund, TO STIMULATE THE TEXAS ECONOMY. He used his rain god for his water woes. His choice idiot!!

you are so totally stupid, it defies explanation.

You whine that TX took in 87 billion, and he should have used all that money for desalination plants. Then, when I point out to you that there were 'other things' that money was already destined for, you change direction and whine that Perry should have used all the stimulus money he got for the desalination plants.
LOL! You fucking imbecile, you repeated yourself twice, and then claim there is a conflict? LMAO!! Talk about ignorance.

Neither time do you admit that those 100 additional plants would have collectively cost over $100 billion. Do the math, jock-itch. He'd have still been short on the desalination funds, and had ZERO money to run the fucking state!

Did your parents have any children that lived?

I never said the plants would cost a billion, but since you are confused, bring the link here so I can call you a fucking liar. LMAO! You do know it is a violation of USMB rules to bring up a posters relatives? Aside, you seem deranged and confused. Are you on crack, either in the sheets or on the pipe?:lol::lol:

My God, you're a moron :rofl:

You implied he should have used the entire state budget for the plants... I explained to you a few times how much the plants would cost, and that the entire state budget was not going to cover the cost.

You really do suck at this.

BTW, as for the 'board rules'...
Attacks on family members will not be tolerated

My comment was an attack on you, not your family. You're even too fucking stupid to see that! :rofl:
Please, report the post. Be my guest.

Dip shit

Forum List

Back