How do you see our collective moral and ethical cup? Half full or overflowing with goodness?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by GreatestIam, Jan 14, 2019 at 11:03 AM.

1. GreatestIam

GreatestIam VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +331
    How do you see our collective moral and ethical cup? Half full or overflowing with goodness?

Not to be a bean counter that ignores the evil that is still with us, but if I look strictly at the statistics for what I call the evil markers, crime, death by violence including war, poverty, poor health and
    education; I see them all at the best levels we have ever enjoyed.

This is in spite of the few places where the stats are backsliding, which ironically includes the U.S., a Christian nation; whose
    education level is going down, along with its moral sense.

I will let you find whatever stats you might be interested in and will only offer the stats spoken of, at the end of this link.

Richard Dawkins - Sex, Death and the Meaning of Life
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLulcfyqrc0

I see our cup running over in spite of the vile and immoral mainstream religions that we are maintaining, for God only knows why. We can thank all the gods that the religious are not walking their talk and are following more moral ways.

How do you see our collective moral and ethical cup? Half full; or overflowing with goodness?

Regards
    DL

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. deanrd

deanrd Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,251
    How do you see it as collective when it’s so sharply divided between Republicans and their horrible policies and Democrats who actually want to help the American people?

The good thing about Trump is that Republicans can finally stop saying they care about the middle class and they can stop saying they aren’t racist.

For once they can be who they are.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Dogmaphobe

Dogmaphobe Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,890
    I would say "half full" is stretching it. the cup is nearly empty.

There are far too many low IQ hyper-partisans who know nothing other than warring with the other mindless hyper-partisans.

Nobody thinks about issues or problems and how best to fix them, only identity and political tribe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Meriweather

Meriweather Not all who wander are lost

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,376
    How do Democrats want to help the American people? Seriously. I see they want power. I see they want high fees. I see they want favors for themselves and their families. I see they want votes. I see they are great at throwing tantrums if they don't get their way. I see them claiming virtue, but I don't actually see them doing anything. I even have a hard time finding where they even "want" to help. I am a former Democrat, often finding myself considering whether my next move will be to become a former voter just to get out of this rigged system--and most of the rigging has Democrat fingerprints all over it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Meriweather

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,376
    Agree. My solution is to take several random middle school classes to Congress (and the White House) and Americans will then see the number of good solutions start to emerge.

6. Tax Man

Tax Man Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,513
    The conservatives in congress have no morals or ethics. The liberals are not far behind as they have lowered their standards to battle the conservatives on their grounds.
    The people of this nation seem to be without morals or ethics for the most part. I mean who cares enough about trash in the neighborhood to actually pick it up? But they can complain for moths about no one doing it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Meriweather

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,376
    I walk nearly every day, so picking up trash is a given. I am not the only one who does this. Further, in another town, I know for a fact my brother-in-law does the same thing, and that he is not the only one there who does it. Hope this gives you some encouraging news. We are not doing much, but we are trying to do something. I tend to think if I am doing something, so are others--and at a much larger scale than I am able to do.

8. ding

ding Confront reality

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,179
    If one believes they are moral, they aren’t.

9. petro

petro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,385
    I am going to ignore the hyper partisan political responses as I believe you were asking otherwise.

I trend towards an optimistic view of things. Simply put, most people are good, have honest intentions, and just wish to live and let live.

The division pimps of this nation while loud and garnering attention do not represent everyday life in America. Neither does the mass mental illness that social media has become.

We are by far the most generous nation and that despite our non perfection has increased the comfort and economic lifestyle for more than any other nation system to date.

While not agreeing with any particular religion, I never hold those beliefs against another. Religion need not be present for an individual to have moral or ethical views or to feel a spiritual sense of awe and wonder.
    God didn't build himself that throne.
    God doesn't live in Israel or Rome.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. MarathonMike

MarathonMike Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,352
    Not sure if I would go with overflowing but I would agree that there is enough good in humans around the world at least counterbalance the evil. I believe that has more to do with human nature rather than adherence to any of the formally recognized religions.

• Agree Agree x 1