How do the "poor" live so well in the US?

The old, the sick, the poor, these are the enemies of the Republican Party.

There is a special place in hell for Republicans.

You might want to spread that word about. I know a LOT of old people who are dyed in the wool Republicans and wouldn't change even if hell froze over.

The premise of this thread, that the poor live well is in no way connected to reality. I've worked with the people who supposedly live so well, and while they may have things like Xboxes, tattoos, and nine inch nails, they do not live well. They are subject to horrors that the rest of us only read about.

That being said, I will say this, that even though they don't live well, there are levels of bad living just as there are levels of good living. When I was in Beijing I had dinner at a doctor's house. The only difference in his house and that of our project dwellers is that our project dwellers have bathrooms. The doctor's family had their chamber pot on the front porch awaiting pick up by the honey wagon. I learned there that I really should be happier here even though I pay high taxes, I don't pay it all to the government and I can move waaaaaaaaaaay out in the country, live on a lake, and be away from all the human suffering I see every day. That counts for a lot.

I agree. I've lived in Mexico and The Ukraine (among other places). The poor here do not have it easy. SO they can watch tv. well oooh. Would it make me feel better if they couldn't?
What is the mentality behind that thinking? "Serves them right for being poor!" ?

I'm just not sure I even understand the point here - but then again I do posses the innate ability to be colossally stupid!

You might want to spread that word about. I know a LOT of old people who are dyed in the wool Republicans and wouldn't change even if hell froze over.

The premise of this thread, that the poor live well is in no way connected to reality. I've worked with the people who supposedly live so well, and while they may have things like Xboxes, tattoos, and nine inch nails, they do not live well. They are subject to horrors that the rest of us only read about.

That being said, I will say this, that even though they don't live well, there are levels of bad living just as there are levels of good living. When I was in Beijing I had dinner at a doctor's house. The only difference in his house and that of our project dwellers is that our project dwellers have bathrooms. The doctor's family had their chamber pot on the front porch awaiting pick up by the honey wagon. I learned there that I really should be happier here even though I pay high taxes, I don't pay it all to the government and I can move waaaaaaaaaaay out in the country, live on a lake, and be away from all the human suffering I see every day. That counts for a lot.

I agree. I've lived in Mexico and The Ukraine (among other places). The poor here do not have it easy. SO they can watch tv. well oooh. Would it make me feel better if they couldn't?
What is the mentality behind that thinking? "Serves them right for being poor!" ?

I'm just not sure I even understand the point here - but then again I do posses the innate ability to be colossally stupid!

Without ever having been to low income housing, most Americans are really not able to envision what it is. Housing projects didn't spring up where I lived until the 1960s. We were not well to do, but we had a house and a car and my dad had a job. There were many Sunday afternoons we would go 'slumming.' We would drive through the really poor and seedy areas of our town. And I was fairly young. Some things are REAL motivators, let me tell you. Then the projects sprang up and those slums disappeared. But the neat buildings and green lawns of the projects belie what goes on there.

I mean, suppose you are a person who, with your current value system intact, managed to lose it all and have to move there. (And that CAN happen.) How would you even be able to raise your children? Keep them in a tiny apartment all day long to keep them away from the thugs who also live there and dominate the place?

People just don't know. They just don't. When I think about it, the smells, sounds, and sights all come back. And those things alone are too much!

Poor is poor.

The poor deserve being poor is unchristian puritanism, so stuff that.

The rich always make the poor scream.

No, just ass-hats like you that try to use success as a wedge instead of a destination.

No, for folks like you (you are not true GOP) who believe success exempts them from the social compact of the Founders.

No, just ass-hats like you that try to use success as a wedge instead of a destination.

No, for folks like you (you are not true GOP) who believe success exempts them from the social compact of the Founders.
Quite the opposite, actually.

Success makes us more able to fulfill our social compact with our fellow Americans.
We give and help because we want to, because it's rewarding.
NOT because a suit in DC says that I should pay a 32.5% tax rate to support those who can't support their self.

Success makes us more able to fulfill our social compact with our fellow Americans.
NOT because a suit in DC says that I should pay a 32.5% tax rate to support those who can't support their self.

Modern day conservatism is the political codification of selfishness.

Modern day conservatism is the political codification of selfishness.

No, the successful man generally does not willingly pay back. I have no trouble taxing a selfish sunuvabuck who does not get it.

Actually, the middle class lost

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsrFa9jrpv8]‪Child's Pay 2‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

The gaps in after-tax income between the richest 1 percent of Americans and the middle and poorest fifths of the country more than tripled between 1979 and 2007 (the period for which these data are available), according to data the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) issued last week. Taken together with prior research, the new data suggest greater income concentration at the top of the income scale than at any time since 1928.

Income Gaps Between Very Rich and Everyone Else More Than Tripled In Last Three Decades, New Data Show — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

The Republican revolution...take from the middle class and the poor and give to the rich!

Modern day Liberalism is the political codification of class warfare

400 people have more wealth than 150 million Americans combined.

The war is over.

The rich won.

If you divided all that wealth up evenly amongst every American, within a period of time, it would all be back in the hands of the same people once again. When one group of people lives on an hourly wage, and another group lives on entrepreneurship, the flow of money is one way. It will eventually reach the place where there isn't enough money circulating to make the system work.

One should be able to see that the person who sells 300,000,000 cans of tomatoes for 89 cents, or 800,000,000 DVDs for $15.00 even at very low prices for each of those things, and does this repeatedly will end up with all the money. Just ask JB Hunt, and Bill Gates. But the talk doesn't center on the system which allows this to occur. The talk centers on 'the poor'....... I mean, really now, even Elvis gave away a few Cadillacs!

I believe that is where we are right now. Everyone wants to blame 'the poor' and to believe 'the poor' do not contribute. But in years past the flow of money through the poor has had a stabilizing effect on the economy. It isn't working right now because there isn't enough money that can be begged, borrowed, or stolen to go around.

1% of the population can talke 95% of your money and it's the fault of 'the poor.' Give me strength~!

Last edited:

So Bill Gates pays 39%.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080203001855AAyhzfE That's less than his employees pay. It's also about what I pay and I am not a 'centibillionaire."

Gates was number one on the Forbes 400 list from 1993 through to 2007 and number one on Forbes list of The World's Richest People from 1995 to 2007 and 2009. In 1999, Gates's wealth briefly surpassed $101 billion, causing the media to call him a "centibillionaire".[62] Since 2000, the nominal value of his Microsoft holdings has declined due to a fall in Microsoft's stock price after the dot-com bubble burst and the multi-billion dollar donations he has made to his charitable foundations. In a May 2006 interview, Gates commented that he wished that he were not the richest man in the world because he disliked the attention it brought.[63] Gates has several investments outside Microsoft, which in 2006 paid him a salary of $616,667 and $350,000 bonus totalling $966,667.[64] He founded Corbis, a digital imaging company, in 1989. In 2004 he became a director of Berkshire Hathaway, the investment company headed by long-time friend Warren Buffett.[65] In March 2010 Bill Gates was bumped down to the second wealthiest man behind Carlos Slim.
Bill Gates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a flash! Bill Gates doesn't know you are alive, and he doesn't give a shit about you. G'Day!

Last edited:
The gaps in after-tax income between the richest 1 percent of Americans and the middle and poorest fifths of the country more than tripled between 1979 and 2007 (the period for which these data are available), according to data the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) issued last week. Taken together with prior research, the new data suggest greater income concentration at the top of the income scale than at any time since 1928.

Income Gaps Between Very Rich and Everyone Else More Than Tripled In Last Three Decades, New Data Show — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

The Republican revolution...take from the middle class and the poor and give to the rich!

Waah, fucking Waah.

So rather than be happy that some people are successful, you want to focus on the ones that aren't.
You're a "glass-half-full" kinda guy ain't ya?
:cuckoo:

How much in taxes did you pay last year?

And, FTR, successful "give back" all the time.
In my county, there's a car dealer named Alan Jay. He owns a Ford lot, Chevy lot, Toyota, and Nissan.
Town short on funds for fireworks? Call Alan.
He gives a Mustang to a graduating snior in all 3 of our high schools every year.
Scholarships.
Hospital Gala events.

Can't count how many scholarships are handed out by our local doctors and business owners.

Charity is always better when it's given freely.
Who are you to mandate it?

:cuckoo:

Nothing of worth here, so

What's the graduation rate in your home town?

What's the crime rate in your home town?

What's the go to college rate among those who graduate in your home town?

How many children go to be hungry every night in your home town?

How many women get beat each night in your home town?

How well to you go to sleep each night in your home town?

i wouldn't trade places for anything in the world. The poor don't have it great....their schools are usually crap for their kids due to low property tax revenues, crime is high, kids can't play on the street without taking huge risks of life and death, they truly don't eat well, nutritionally wise, they get charged more at their local walmart for the same goods that an uppity neighborhood walmart charges for those well to do people....i kid you not! I witnessed this myself, at my sister's region in florida....

the things on that list are just things....coveting what your neighbor has is a sin or unethical imo....and this is what it appears the op is doing.

I'd bet there is not a person here who would trade places with the poor....at least not anyone sane!

and yes, there is an argument on how well our safety nets work for the poorest, or how they are set up....but in no way would i begrudge the mother or the father of a poor kid, for getting their child a used video game system for christmas or would i think it was uncalled for, to have a refrigerator, or a second old clunker refrigerator in the garage....for goodness sake!!!!

care

During what I call our "3 years of hell", when my husband was laid off, we were very bad off. Our neighbor's church sent us a Thanksgiving basket. I was both ashamed and grateful. I cried, I kid you not. I cry now, even thinking about it. When my husband got his job back, the first thing we did, when we were capable, was write a check for our neighbor's church to pay some of the cost for their thanksgiving baskets that year. I much prefer being on this side.

Forum List

Back