How Did Trump confuse conservatives about trade?

Brain357

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2013
I really don't understand all this support for the trump tariffs. This is just a tax on us. Conservatives are supposed to be against taxes. And so far the results aren't good. The steel industry is a good example of this, lots of layoffs after the trump tariffs.

Steel layoffs in US mount due to falling production and trade war

So we are already seeing the failings of this policy. Tariffs are always a bad idea. Every economist knows these, they are just a political game:

Reagan knew they were bad policy:

Here is one of the greatest small government economists:

One argument I keep hearing is people claiming tariffs work great for Europe and China. That is not at all true, Europe has never had a stronger economy than us, how is that working? China hasn't been successful because of tariffs, they have over a billion people and went from a communist economy to discovering capitalism. Of course they have been growing quickly. Certainly conservatives still know capitalism is better than communism? China will implode soon on it's own due to demographics and pollution. Soon they will have way too many elderly that aren't working, and they will have to cleam up the pollution mess.

It is still clear that free trade is the way. So why the confusion?

Americans are fed up with China and other countries steeling our IP, copying/counterfeiting our products, and dumping products into the USA with the intentional purpose of destroying US businesses and industries. You commie assholes on the left can suck it.

Americans are fed up with China and other countries steeling our IP, copying/counterfeiting our products, and dumping products into the USA with the intentional purpose of destroying US businesses and industries. You commie assholes on the left can suck it.
So they mostly steal IP when our companies send it to them. Can you name any companies that quit doing business with China because of stolen IP? I cant, seems companies don’t put much value on the loss. Shouldn’t companies stop doing business if it is so bad?

There's nothing wrong with improving and optimizing our trade relationships, especially with our larger trading partners, and Trump is right to do it.

There's certainly nothing wrong with seriously addressing widespread international intellectual property theft, and Trump is right to do it.

The problem is this is a shallow man-child who (a) addresses virtually every issue by beating on it with a stick, and (b) says stupid things like "trade wars are easy to win", clearly devoid of any understanding that our trade partners are listening.

There's still a decent chance we'll get a decent trade deal. If we do, he'll deserve the appropriate credit. But his behaviors only make processes like this more drawn out, pugilistic, and somewhat embarrassing for those of us who inhabit Normal World.

There's nothing wrong with improving and optimizing our trade relationships, especially with our larger trading partners, and Trump is right to do it.

There's certainly nothing wrong with seriously addressing widespread international intellectual property theft, and Trump is right to do it.

The problem is this is a shallow man-child who (a) addresses virtually every issue by beating on it with a stick, and (b) says stupid things like "trade wars are easy to win", clearly devoid of any understanding that our trade partners are listening.

There's still a decent chance we'll get a decent trade deal. If we do, he'll deserve the appropriate credit. But his behaviors only make processes like this more drawn out, pugilistic, and somewhat embarrassing for those of us who inhabit Normal World.
Four paragraphs to say absolutely nothing....You running for office?

I'm not surprised you think it was nothing.

Had I laced my post with talk radio platitudes, baseball cap slogans, shallow references and personal insults, you'd be cheering.

I don't operate down at your level. Sorry.

Trump didn't "confuse" anyone about trade. He came right out and said that he was going to deal with the trade imbalance, when he was campaigning.

Promises made, promises kept.

Had I laced my post with talk radio platitudes, baseball cap slogans, shallow references and personal insults, you'd be cheering.

Your insipid post boils down to:

"Trump is a poopy-head who my or may not get what he's after, but is a poopy-head nonetheless."

Ever-so-slightly-margiinally more than nothing...I stand corrected.

Your insipid post boils down to:

"Trump is a poopy-head who my or may not get what he's after, but is a poopy-head nonetheless."

Ever-so-slightly-margiinally more than nothing...I stand corrected.
My apologies.

I'll try to include a few grunts and snorts in future posts in case you read them.

* grunt *

* snort *

I doubt any new deal will make any real difference. Certainly won’t justify the farmer bailout. The market would fix these issues if they were as big as trump claims. Instead we have “conservatives” seeking big gov solutions.

I doubt any new deal will make any real difference. Certainly won’t justify the farmer bailout. The market would fix these issues if they were as big as trump claims. Instead we have “conservatives” seeking big gov solutions.
There's no way to know. Xi may (or may not) be under more pressure than we know, and who knows what Trump will accept if he panics.

There will be two parts to this: A huge celebration when it's finally signed, and markets will go nuts. Then second, once everyone gets under the hood and takes a look at what it really says, we'll know what we actually have.

50/50. Hoping for the best.

Trump didn't "confuse" anyone about trade. He came right out and said that he was going to deal with the trade imbalance, when he was campaigning.

Yes he fooled conservatives that the imbalance was bad. They used to know better. Please view this, I can't explain it any better.

There's no way to know. Xi may (or may not) be under more pressure than we know, and who knows what Trump will accept if he panics.

There will be two parts to this: A huge celebration when it's finally signed, and markets will go nuts. Then second, once everyone gets under the hood and takes a look at what it really says, we'll know what we actually have.

50/50. Hoping for the best.
It will probably just be more managed trade like the new nafta. Only a big government person would think more managed trade is good....

Here is a conservative answer to the steel dumping issue:

Trump told Americans exactly what he would do on trade, what countries he would bitch slap, and why. That's why Americans in 30 states voted him president!

I really don't understand all this support for the trump tariffs. This is just a tax on us. Conservatives are supposed to be against taxes. And so far the results aren't good. The steel industry is a good example of this, lots of layoffs after the trump tariffs.

So we are already seeing the failings of this policy. Tariffs are always a bad idea. Every economist knows these, they are just a political game:

One argument I keep hearing is people claiming tariffs work great for Europe and China. That is not at all true, Europe has never had a stronger economy than us, how is that working? China hasn't been successful because of tariffs, they have over a billion people and went from a communist economy to discovering capitalism. Of course they have been growing quickly. Certainly conservatives still know capitalism is better than communism? China will implode soon on it's own due to demographics and pollution. Soon they will have way too many elderly that aren't working, and they will have to cleam up the pollution mess.

Tariffs are meant to be temporary. Liberals were also very confused when Reagan stood up to the soviet union, we all know how that ended

Trump told Americans exactly what he would do on trade, what countries he would bitch slap, and why. That's why Americans in 30 states voted him president!
And the question in the OP is why did people believe the BS when we know better. No economist agrees.

Tariffs are meant to be temporary. Liberals were also very confused when Reagan stood up to the soviet union, we all know how that ended

They sure a going on a long time for something easy to win.

Forum List

Back