How Did Trump confuse conservatives about trade?

Americans are fed up with China and other countries steeling our IP, copying/counterfeiting our products, and dumping products into the USA with the intentional purpose of destroying US businesses and industries. You commie assholes on the left can suck it.

Cult45 isn't America. It's a small fringe of low intelligence extremists at best. They don't represent anything but hate.

I really don't understand all this support for the trump tariffs. This is just a tax on us. Conservatives are supposed to be against taxes. And so far the results aren't good. The steel industry is a good example of this, lots of layoffs after the trump tariffs.

Steel layoffs in US mount due to falling production and trade war

So we are already seeing the failings of this policy. Tariffs are always a bad idea. Every economist knows these, they are just a political game:

Reagan knew they were bad policy:

Here is one of the greatest small government economists:

One argument I keep hearing is people claiming tariffs work great for Europe and China. That is not at all true, Europe has never had a stronger economy than us, how is that working? China hasn't been successful because of tariffs, they have over a billion people and went from a communist economy to discovering capitalism. Of course they have been growing quickly. Certainly conservatives still know capitalism is better than communism? China will implode soon on it's own due to demographics and pollution. Soon they will have way too many elderly that aren't working, and they will have to cleam up the pollution mess.

It is still clear that free trade is the way. So why the confusion?

Now the moron is placing Tariffs on the world

The art of the deal??? Moron should have read How to win friends and influence people

There's nothing wrong with improving and optimizing our trade relationships, especially with our larger trading partners, and Trump is right to do it.

There's certainly nothing wrong with seriously addressing widespread international intellectual property theft, and Trump is right to do it.

The problem is this is a shallow man-child who (a) addresses virtually every issue by beating on it with a stick, and (b) says stupid things like "trade wars are easy to win", clearly devoid of any understanding that our trade partners are listening.

There's still a decent chance we'll get a decent trade deal. If we do, he'll deserve the appropriate credit. But his behaviors only make processes like this more drawn out, pugilistic, and somewhat embarrassing for those of us who inhabit Normal World.
Four paragraphs to say absolutely nothing....You running for office?
I'm not surprised you think it was nothing.

Had I laced my post with talk radio platitudes, baseball cap slogans, shallow references and personal insults, you'd be cheering.

I don't operate down at your level. Sorry.
Your insipid post boils down to:

"Trump is a poopy-head who my or may not get what he's after, but is a poopy-head nonetheless."

Ever-so-slightly-margiinally more than nothing...I stand corrected.

So by that logic, your post boils down to: 'I support corruption as long as my party is doing it'. Correct?

I really don't understand all this support for the trump tariffs. This is just a tax on us. Conservatives are supposed to be against taxes. And so far the results aren't good. The steel industry is a good example of this, lots of layoffs after the trump tariffs.

So we are already seeing the failings of this policy. Tariffs are always a bad idea. Every economist knows these, they are just a political game:

One argument I keep hearing is people claiming tariffs work great for Europe and China. That is not at all true, Europe has never had a stronger economy than us, how is that working? China hasn't been successful because of tariffs, they have over a billion people and went from a communist economy to discovering capitalism. Of course they have been growing quickly. Certainly conservatives still know capitalism is better than communism? China will implode soon on it's own due to demographics and pollution. Soon they will have way too many elderly that aren't working, and they will have to cleam up the pollution mess.

I see what you did here....Appeal to authority, with a twist....Appeal to the authority figures of those you hope to persuade...An effective technique, if it can be pulled off without raising the suspicion that you're not just trying to be manipulative or show people up....I'm here to tell you that you've failed in that effort.

"Tariffs don't work!" is a very familiar cry, amongst free market economic types...One that I would agree is true in a vast majority, if not all, of historical contexts.

But there's also another bromide that is tossed around by many of these same economists; the idea that you can freely trade with oppressed peoples, and somehow or another the influx of wealth will cause them to become dissatisfied with, and possibly overthrow, their oppressors....This economic presumption has been proven -at least in the case with China- to have been tragically wrong.....In fact, free trade with China has given its communist regime the financial wherewithal to be an even more odious oppressor, which has rounded up over a million of an ethnic and religions minority -the Uighurs- and thrown them into brutal concentration camps...And, for the sake of brevity, I'm not even going to go into China's blatant currency manipulations and use of American tech companies to become an even more heavy-handed tyrant towards its relatively "free" population.

So are tariffs the right or wrong thing to do in this context?....Well, I can say those three little words that big shot economist have such a hard time saying : "I don't know"...But, to quote another big time free marketer/libertarian icon, Ayn Rand: Check your premise.

Last edited:

I see what you did here....Appeal to authority, with a twist....Appeal to the authority figures of those you hope to persuade...An effective technique, if it can be pulled off without raising the suspicion that you're not just trying to be manipulative or show people up....I'm here to tell you that you've failed in that effort.

"Tariffs don't work!" is a very familiar cry, amongst free market economic types...One that I would agree is true in a vast majority, if not all, of historical contexts.

But there's also another bromide that is tossed around by many of these same economists; the idea that you can freely trade with oppressed peoples, and somehow or another the influx of wealth will cause them to become dissatisfied with, and possibly overthrow, their oppressors....This economic presumption has been proven -at least in the case with China- to have been tragically wrong.....In fact, free trade with China has given its communist regime the financial wherewithal to be an even more odious oppressor, which has rounded up over a million of an ethnic and religions minority -the Uighurs- and thrown them into brutal concentration camps...And, for the sake of brevity, I'm not even going to go into China's blatant currency manipulations and use of American tech companies to become an even more heavy-handed tyrant towards its relatively "free" population.

So are tariffs the right or wrong thing to do in this context?....Well, I can say those three little words that big shot economist have such a hard time saying : "I don't know"...But, to quote another big time free marketer/libertarian icon, Ayn Rand: Check your premise.

So now you think you're going to change China with these tariffs? Because we have a great record of changing other countries? They are still quite new to capitalism, we really don't know if they will become more free. But I know with certainty we can't change them for the better. We have tried that many times and it always fails.

So now you think you're going to change China with these tariffs? Because we have a great record of changing other countries? They are still quite new to capitalism, we really don't know if they will become more free. But I know with certainty we can't change them for the better. We have tried that many times and it always fails.

To repeat: I don't know....I can say that, can you?

China isn't interested in capitalism...They're running their economy as a corporatist/fascist model....And, as pointed out, our trading with them freely has changed them for the worse.

China isn't interested in capitalism...They're running their economy as a corporatist/fascist model....And, as pointed out, our trading with them freely has changed them for the worse.

You will have to support your claims with links as I’m not buying them.

The stories of China using American tech and tech companies -namely Google- to enforce things like its Orwellian "social credit score" are everywhere....Likewise the stories about currency manipulations and the imprisoning of the Uighurs...Your living in blissful ignorance of that which is right under your nose is your problem.

The stories of China using American tech and tech companies -namely Google- to enforce things like its Orwellian "social credit score" are everywhere....Likewise the stories about currency manipulations and the imprisoning of the Uighurs...Your living in blissful ignorance of that which is right under your nose is your problem.

So you give no links to support your claims...

You are claiming they have changed for the worse since joining the WTO and trading with the world. I don't believe that. They were and are a bad place. I see no evidence they are any worse than they were. Now share some links and specifics to support your claim they are worse.

To repeat: I don't know....I can say that, can you?and easy-to-find

You are claiming they have changed for the worse since joining the WTO and trading with the world. I don't believe that. They were and are a bad place. I see no evidence they are any worse than they were. Now share some links and specifics to support your claim they are worse.
Don't believe the numerous and easy-to-find stories about the positively poisonous air in Bejing and other big industrial cities.

Don't believe the numerous and easy-to-find stories about the Uighurs being rounded up and shipped off the "re-education camps".

Don't believe the numerous and easy-to-find stories about Google shoving its corporate head up the asses of the Chicom tyrants.

Don't believe the numerous and easy-to-find stories abut Chinese citizens being subject to a "social credits score", and unable to travel to do so much as visit family for "wrong thinking".

Don't believe the numerous and easy-to-find stories about the Yangtze River being dammed up, and inundating hundreds of culturally significant villages and leaving scores (hundreds?) of thousands homeless.

Go ahead and carry on with your blissful ignorance, believing that the Chicom gubmint gives one, single hoot in hell about the average Chinese citizen.

Fucking rube.

Don't believe the numerous and easy-to-find stories about the positively poisonous air in Bejing and other big industrial cities.

Don't believe the numerous and easy-to-find stories about the Uighurs being rounded up and shipped off the "re-education camps".

Don't believe the numerous and easy-to-find stories about Google shoving its corporate head up the asses of the Chicom tyrants.

Don't believe the numerous and easy-to-find stories abut Chinese citizens being subject to a "social credits score", and unable to travel to do so much as visit family for "wrong thinking".

Don't believe the numerous and easy-to-find stories about the Yangtze River being dammed up, and inundating hundreds of culturally significant villages and leaving scores (hundreds?) of thousands homeless.

Go ahead and carry on with your blissful ignorance, believing that the Chicom gubmint gives one, single hoot in hell about the average Chinese citizen.

Fucking rube.
You have done nothing to prove it is worse than before. Try again.

Fucking rube.
Here is an argument they are better supported by facts and a link:

In China today, poverty refers mainly to the rural poor, as decades of economic growth have largely eradicated urban poverty.[1][2][3]The dramatic progress in reducing poverty over the past three decades in China is well known. According to the World Bank, more than 850 million Chinese people have been lifted out of extreme poverty; China's poverty rate fell from 88 percent in 1981 to 0.7 percent in 2015, as measured by the percentage of people living on the equivalent of US$1.90 or less per day in 2011 purchasing price parity terms.[4][5]

Poverty in China - Wikipedia

Americans are fed up with China and other countries steeling our IP, copying/counterfeiting our products, and dumping products into the USA with the intentional purpose of destroying US businesses and industries. You commie assholes on the left can suck it.

China didn't "steal" American patents and intellectual property, Americans handed them over to the Chinese to get cheaper manufacturing. American laws don't apply to their dealings with the Chinese on Chinese soil. While the Chinese appropriated these gifts in ways the Americans hadn't anticipated, but if the Americans were dumb enough to do this, who is really to blame here?

Trump keeps blaming the Chinese for off-shoring and the loss of American manufacturing jobs, but the blame squarely belongs on American corporations who are now paying less in labour costs (as a percentage of costs), than they were during the Guillded Age, before the rise of unions.

American consumers aren't blameless in this either. By choosing the cheapest goods possible, rather than going for quality and a "union label", they chose the Chinese slave labourers over their own neighbours and families.

China didn't "steal" American patents and intellectual property

Shut up you leftwing retard they have been stealing from the U.S. for decades. They routinely steal, copy, and counterfeit Japanese products also. Go ahead refute the facts look like a moron if you want. :eusa_hand:

China didn't "steal" American patents and intellectual property, Americans handed them over to the Chinese to get cheaper manufacturing. American laws don't apply to their dealings with the Chinese on Chinese soil. While the Chinese appropriated these gifts in ways the Americans hadn't anticipated, but if the Americans were dumb enough to do this, who is really to blame here?

Trump keeps blaming the Chinese for off-shoring and the loss of American manufacturing jobs, but the blame squarely belongs on American corporations who are now paying less in labour costs (as a percentage of costs), than they were during the Guillded Age, before the rise of unions.

American consumers aren't blameless in this either. By choosing the cheapest goods possible, rather than going for quality and a "union label", they chose the Chinese slave labourers over their own neighbours and families.
As I've already stated, if corporations viewed the stolen property as so valuable, they would have stopped doing business with China. That's how the market deals with this issue. But corps clearly don't care so much because they continue to send it to China and do business there.

As I've already stated, if corporations viewed the stolen property as so valuable, they would have stopped doing business with China. That's how the market deals with this issue. But corps clearly don't care so much because they continue to send it to China and do business there.

:290968001256257790-final: alert ^^^

China didn't "steal" American patents and intellectual property

Shut up you leftwing retard they have been stealing from the U.S. for decades. They routinely steal, copy, and counterfeit Japanese products also. Go ahead refute the facts look like a moron if you want. :eusa_hand:
That is a fact. But it's also a fact that didn't stop corporations from sending them our IP. Why would we keep sending it if it was so valuable? Corporations simply looked at it as a cost of doing business and decided the benefit was greater than the cost. You prefer big government decide this than those doing business with China? You might be a liberal.

:290968001256257790-final: alert ^^^
Who is the doofus? The corporations for sending China our IP? Or you for thinking the government knows better than these corporations? You might be a socialist...

Forum List

Back