How can an atheist have morals?

Most atheists I have talked to in this day and age more or less have a strictly materialist view of the world, and typically say that man is no different than an animal.

This makes me wonder how atheists can logically justify having morals; for example if rape, torture, or murder aided one's own survival or the survival of one's group why should they be off the table?
The claim that man is no different than an animal let's you off the hook for your behavior. You can claim what you did was instinct or a biological function.

We can't be sure of course, because no one has been able to discuss morality with an animal, but many believe that of all the animals on earth, only man has awareness/conscience. I've listened to some atheists argue that they need no rule book. Whatever they do is about feelings or urges, over which they have no control. Logic seems to be an impediment to their willy-nilly actions, thus is a non factor in their code, such as it is.

Atheists have morals. They have untrustworthy morals because their morals are relativistic. There are no absolutes. Everything can be rationalized away and explained as being moral, at least according to their point of view.

Very religious people can be as untrustworthy as anyone, but the atheist comes with a guarantee that they will be untrustworthy if it suits them.

Most atheists I have talked to in this day and age more or less have a strictly materialist view of the world, and typically say that man is no different than an animal.

This makes me wonder how atheists can logically justify having morals; for example if rape, torture, or murder aided one's own survival or the survival of one's group why should they be off the table?
Why do you think you have to believe in god to have morals?
Well I believe morality has to come from a higher source than the natural world alone.

I'm not aware of many atheists who believe anything exists other than the natural world.
I can understand you believe that but your belief doesnt make it true. Self awareness is where morality comes from.

Without the promise of eternal magical rewards, or fear of God's wrath, would you be running around raping people and burning down buildings? Are you fighting the urge to do that as we speak??? :eek:
Even if most people don't do those things, some people like Jeffery Dahmer have.

So if man is just an animal and people like Ted Bundy and Dahmer are just acting on animal impulses why is it wrong for them to do it?

Well I believe morality has to come from a higher source than the natural world alone.

I'm not aware of many atheists who believe anything exists other than the natural world.
I can understand you believe that but your belief doesnt make it true. Self awareness is where morality comes from.
What do you mean by self awareness?

What do you mean by self awareness?
Being aware I am a living breathing entity with fears, desires, hopes, dreams etc.

So, are you saying that it's only the threat of eternal damnation that prevents you from raping, torturing and murder?
No I believe morality can be found in universal metaphysical laws.

If someone believes the physical world is all that exists though where does their knowledge of right and wrong come from?
Their brain?
So if Ted Bundy thought in his mind that killing and raping little girls was a good thing to do then this makes it "right"?

Isn't that just nihilism then; right and wrong are meaningless beyond the individual's whim?

Morals are no problem. There any number of ways to arrive at a 'moral' code.
Moral authority is another question. Using 'God' as a reference and enforcer provides an argument that what one wants is not merely human opinion. Without such an 'objective source', it sounds to people as if it's just a question of one person's word against another.
Humans should realize that all morals, ethics and rules are a matter of choice.
How would you evaluate which choices are better or worse?

Without the promise of eternal magical rewards, or fear of God's wrath, would you be running around raping people and burning down buildings? Are you fighting the urge to do that as we speak??? :eek:
Even if most people don't do those things, some people like Jeffery Dahmer have.

So if man is just an animal and people like Ted Bundy and Dahmer are just acting on animal impulses why is it wrong for them to do it?
Whoa. You think the only reason it's wrong for someone to murder or EAT people is because you may face punishment from a magical being after you die??? Holy shit! Maybe religion is more important than I thought, or people like you would be running around murdering and eating people!!!

:eek::eek::eek:

Morals are no problem. There any number of ways to arrive at a 'moral' code.
Moral authority is another question. Using 'God' as a reference and enforcer provides an argument that what one wants is not merely human opinion. Without such an 'objective source', it sounds to people as if it's just a question of one person's word against another.
Humans should realize that all morals, ethics and rules are a matter of choice.
How would you evaluate which choices are better or worse?
How does one discern what is proper nourishment?

Atheists have morals. They have untrustworthy morals because their morals are relativistic. There are no absolutes. Everything can be rationalized away and explained as being moral, at least according to their point of view.

Very religious people can be as untrustworthy as anyone, but the atheist comes with a guarantee that they will be untrustworthy if it suits them.

If you are a prime example of religiously based morality then I can see why some people chose to be atheists.

An atheists morals have more credibility than a believer

An atheists does things because they are the right thing to do.....
But what determines right from wrong if one is an atheist or materialist?

.a believer does it because they fear the wrath of god
So you say.

My morals are based on altruism......yours are based on fear

Mine are superior

You can have faith in the value of human decency, dignity, and honesty without having an imaginary being scripting your beliefs.

It sounds like the OP needs to meet more atheists. I can't think of another atheist I have met that could be described as materialistic. The same can't be said for religious people. Regardless, I don't stereotype them as more interested in their possessions and physical comfort than what is right or wrong. Since when are humans not animals? Morality, like many other things, was co-opted by religion.

Do you believe that getting your moral values from Allah has more merit than getting them from your own powers of reasoning?
Moreover, do you believe that you choose the moral values from Allah (or fill in the blank, ______), or do you believe whatever you filled in makes you choose them?

It sounds like the OP needs to meet more atheists. I can't think of another atheist I have met that could be described as materialistic. The same can't be said for religious people. Regardless, I don't stereotype them as more interested in their possessions and physical comfort than what is right or wrong. Since when are humans not animals? Morality, like many other things, was co-opted by religion.
I'm saying if one believes the material world is all that exists I don't see how someone can derive universal morals while remaining logically consistent.

Most of the rape, murder, and pillage cultures throughout history simply practiced religions that made those things moral.

Forum List

Back