How can an atheist have morals?

IndependantAce

VIP Member
Dec 1, 2014
Most atheists I have talked to in this day and age more or less have a strictly materialist view of the world, and typically say that man is no different than an animal.

This makes me wonder how atheists can logically justify having morals; for example if rape, torture, or murder aided one's own survival or the survival of one's group why should they be off the table?

how does rape aids ones survival? Do you mean like when God raped Mary to have Jesus?
Torture and murder? That sounds like it got human all over it. Atheists AND the religious. Look at history.
Morals and religion are not mutually exclusive.

You don't need religion to have morals... The golden rule I believe is universal "treat others as you'd like to be treated by others"

Cultural upbringing and early childhood development have an influence on a persons morals as well.

Religion or not, morals evolve with the environment we live in. I guarantee your morals would be quit different if you were living in a survival of the fittest Stone Age society vs. a rich civilized society like we have here in the US

how does rape aids ones survival? Do you mean like when God raped Mary to have Jesus?
That's a dumb statement.

Torture and murder? That sounds like it got human all over it. Atheists AND the religious. Look at history.
Where do secular morals come from then?

Most atheists I have talked to in this day and age more or less have a strictly materialist view of the world, and typically say that man is no different than an animal.

This makes me wonder how atheists can logically justify having morals; for example if rape, torture, or murder aided one's own survival or the survival of one's group why should they be off the table?
Why do you think adherence to a specific religious belief is the only way to develop a moral code?

And you dont have to be an athesit to consider raping as an aiding action to your survival.
History have seen a lot of religious conflicts, involving plenty of raping, murdering and torturing... I dont think these were ever off the table from a religious moral perspective either...

Of course we have morals. I'm a very moral guy in between bouts of fornication and murder sprees.

An atheists morals have more credibility than a believer

An atheists does things because they are the right thing to do......a believer does it because they fear the wrath of god

That's a dumb statement.

Where do secular morals come from then?
why is it dumb and your premise isn't?

An atheists does things because they are the right thing to do.....
But what determines right from wrong if one is an atheist or materialist?

.a believer does it because they fear the wrath of god
So you say.

An atheists does things because they are the right thing to do......a believer does it because they fear the wrath of god
Damn. Nice post RW

So, are you saying that it's only the threat of eternal damnation that prevents you from raping, torturing and murder?

Why do you think you have to believe in god to have morals?

An atheists does things because they are the right thing to do.....
But what determines right from wrong if one is an atheist or materialist?

.a believer does it because they fear the wrath of god
So you say.
Don't you think that people can tell right from wrong without religious indoctrination? And what of that religious indoctrination? Sometimes we see that is driven by dogma and can produce wrongs more often than rights.

If you need to believe in imaginary beings, belong to a cult, and read a special book to be moral, then maybe you're the one who's morally lacking.

So, are you saying that it's only the threat of eternal damnation that prevents you from raping, torturing and murder?
No I believe morality can be found in universal metaphysical laws.

If someone believes the physical world is all that exists though where does their knowledge of right and wrong come from?

Without the promise of eternal magical rewards, or fear of God's wrath, would you be running around raping people and burning down buildings? Are you fighting the urge to do that as we speak??? :eek:

Why do you think you have to believe in god to have morals?
Well I believe morality has to come from a higher source than the natural world alone.

I'm not aware of many atheists who believe anything exists other than the natural world.

No I believe morality can be found in universal metaphysical laws.

If someone believes the physical world is all that exists though where does their knowledge of right and wrong come from?
Their brain?

Morals are no problem. There any number of ways to arrive at a 'moral' code.
Moral authority is another question. Using 'God' as a reference and enforcer provides an argument that what one wants is not merely human opinion. Without such an 'objective source', it sounds to people as if it's just a question of one person's word against another.
Humans should realize that all morals, ethics and rules are a matter of choice.

Forum List

Back