How can an atheist have morals?

Most atheists I have talked to in this day and age more or less have a strictly materialist view of the world, and typically say that man is no different than an animal.

This makes me wonder how atheists can logically justify having morals; for example if rape, torture, or murder aided one's own survival or the survival of one's group why should they be off the table?
So, are you saying that it's only the threat of eternal damnation that prevents you from raping, torturing and murder?
No I believe morality can be found in universal metaphysical laws.

If someone believes the physical world is all that exists though where does their knowledge of right and wrong come from?
Their brain?
So if Ted Bundy thought in his mind that killing and raping little girls was a good thing to do then this makes it "right"?

Isn't that just nihilism then; right and wrong are meaningless beyond the individual's whim?
Depends on what you mean by "right". Just because you think something is good doesnt make it right. I think sex is good but I wouldnt rape someone because I have morals.

Most atheists I have talked to in this day and age more or less have a strictly materialist view of the world, and typically say that man is no different than an animal.

This makes me wonder how atheists can logically justify having morals; for example if rape, torture, or murder aided one's own survival or the survival of one's group why should they be off the table?

How can one Christian sect be pacifist, and another be quite happy to go to war?

even if they justify that in words, in their mind their easily leave it away of their deals. Usually there are a lot of excuses to be more important than "old prejudices"

furthermore, how atheists could derive the will of living in the face of troubles, when it is much more logically and easier to kill himself and problem is solved. Just like switching terrible movie off or waking up in case of bad dream.

My morals are based on altruism......yours are based on fear
If you believe in altruism as a universal moral principle then that means you do believe in some objective values correct?

Mine are superior
Is this provable scientifically or just faith based?

We are talking about God here....all science goes out the window

With your morals you have to face God
With my morals, I have to face myself

Mine are tougher

why do you need the threat of other worldly retribution to do the right thing?

how can you dismiss the fact that there are an awful lot of so-called "g-d-fearing" people who are pond scum.

furthermore, how atheists could derive the will of living in the face of troubles, when it is much more logically and easier to kill himself and problem is solved. Just like switching terrible movie off or waking up in case of bad dream.

easy normal people want to live. it's an instinct.

bizarre that you think one needs an after life to want to live this one.

The opposite is true

If you die, you look forward to an afterlife,

When I die, I know everything is over

If you believe in altruism as a universal moral principle then that means you do believe in some objective values correct?

Mine are superior

Mine are tougher
You stated altruism is a universal law.

This means hypothetically even if "science" showed that rape could provide "the greatest good for the greatest number of people" it would still be wrong right?

So it sounds like you agree that there are some universal existential principles which are unchanging right?

How do you know this? Have you died and come back?

If you say you know then I believe that's a faith based statement; saying "I don't know" is the only strictly evidence based answer.

Mine are superior

Mine are tougher

This means hypothetically even if "science" showed that rape could provide "the greatest good for the greatest number of people" it would still be wrong right?

So it sounds like you agree that there are some universal existential principles which are unchanging right?
If a cow had nuts it would be a bull. The point is that rape has never been the greatest good for the greatest number of people.

If you say you know then I believe that's a faith based statement; saying "I don't know" is the only strictly evidence based answer.

How do I know?

Because I don't believe in Santa, elves, fairies, the Easter Bunny or God

Until you can scientifically prove otherwise...I know

Mine are superior

Mine are tougher

I never claimed altruism as a universal law

It is religions that claim a universal law.

An atheists morals have more credibility than a believer

An atheists does things because they are the right thing to do......a believer does it because they fear the wrath of god
nope, atheist is seeking the opportunity not to be punished for his sins. Because if nobody saw, it is like nothing bad happened. But! the society lives not upon the laws and police but on the informal behavior of people. That means, that if all people are trying to cheat against each other, there would be only one way of governing: absolute tyranny.

That is what we see in the case of muslims: free and tolerant society which is used to "normal" behavior has nothing against terrorists.

How do I know?

Because I don't believe in Santa, elves, fairies, the Easter Bunny or God

Until you can scientifically prove otherwise...I know
Scientifically you can't prove that existence itself is even "real"; it might all just be a hallucination.

If you're claiming a positive knowledge of no God or afterlife versus simply a "lack of evidence" that's a faith based belief.

Mine are superior

Mine are tougher

I never claimed altruism as a universal law

It is religions that claim a universal law.
You said that altruism is a higher principle then fear; I assumed this was an absolute statement.

If not then again I don't see how that has any meaning other than your own opinion.

An atheists morals have more credibility than a believer

An atheists does things because they are the right thing to do......a believer does it because they fear the wrath of god
nope, atheist is seeking the opportunity not to be punished for his sins. Because if nobody saw, it is like nothing bad happened. But! the society lives not upon the laws and police but on the informal behavior of people. That means, that if all people are trying to cheat against each other, there would be only one way of governing: absolute tyranny.

That is what we see in the case of muslims: free and tolerant society which is used to "normal" behavior has nothing against terrorists.
That didnt make sense. Who is going to punish the atheist if they dont believe in god?

A very wise man said

A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
Albert Einstein

Forum List

Back