Honda to stop making hybrid Accord

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by red states rule, Jun 6, 2007.

1. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    The tree huggers are not going to like this story.

The AP writer did not like it either judging from the first sentence of the article

With record gas prices, enviro wackos has been telling us we need to drive these types of cars. It seems alot of people are ignoring them

Honda to stop making hybrid Accord
    Performance sedan cost more and got worse gas mileage than its rivals.

By Bree Fowler

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

NEW YORK — With gas prices reaching record highs and public interest in environmentally friendly technologies increasing, you would think that any car labeled as a hybrid would sell easily.

But Honda Motor Co. announced Tuesday that it will discontinue the hybrid version of its Accord sedan, citing disappointing sales.

http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/other/06/06/6hybrids.html

2. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Well Honda had a good idea of making the Accord in the Hybrid form, but I don't think the Nation was ready for it yet. It could of been a good sized car with decent mileage but with the cost possibly being a factor and the fuel mileage wasn't really there yet unlike the Prius or the Civic. Although Toyota does have several SUV's and the Cmary in the Hybrid form so maybe another thing is Toyota and it's current corner in the market.

3. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    I think the problem right now with the hybrids like Accord and Prius is that they're a very niche car right now. I'm not saying it doesn't count for anything but other than gas they aren't very practical in terms of hauling anything (including todays avg sized family). And in the case of the Accord they're a little on the pricey side, 30k to start. Prius's are more affordable in the low 20k range but again still quite impractical.

The Ford Escape i see is now a hybrid. I'd like to see how that one pans out.

4. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    I had to laugh the way the "reporter" had to put his opinion in the first sentence

If the people reject the envior wacko list of things to do, there must be something wrong with them

Much like the electric car died, this thing turned out to be a bust

5. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Yeah Ford has had the Escape Hybrid for a while now in the competition of the Toyotas. I looked at them but since we do a lot of on the road miles it doesn't make much sense to by a hybrid. More work is needed to make these things worthy for the future.

6. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Agendas I guess a lot of great ideas in the automobile industry but few ever get the chance to shine. Something will have to pan out soon because it pretty has too due to our commuter world we live in. I'm surprised we haven't adopted some of Europe’s ideas for good fuel mileage and stop hiding behind the smog and emissions as a reason not to invest in it.

7. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726

That and they're uglier than sin. Which like or not counts for something.

8. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I have an escape it is my wifes and I kind of like them myself. They are much more beefier looking than the original models that came out 8-9 years ago. We have a base model and it does what it is supposed to do. We average about 23-25 MPG a tank considering it is off the ground and has drag in both directions top and bottom.

9. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    The problem with the Accord Hybrid is that it has sold just 25,000 units since 2004. No major car company will put up with such dismal sales results. Why did the car do so poorly in the market? Probably has something to do with the fact that while costing more than $30K, the thing only delivered 28mpg. Not much of a tree-hugger. In contrast, the Honda Civic Hybrid costs around $22K and delivers 49mpg. Case closed. http://www.forbes.com/markets/2007/06/06/honda-accord-hybrid-markets-equity-cx_vk_0606markets1.html

10. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    That is true on the units sold, I mean like posted earlier folks aren't real comfortable with a 30K price tag and no real hauling cability. It may have had it since it came with the 3.0 V-6 but it must not have offered a warm fuzzy to the market. I mean Hondas are just now being bought for fleet use in rentals, that is a first for that manufacture.