Honda to stop making hybrid Accord

40mpg does not seem very good for such a small car:

Will America Accept The Micro Car Option?
Are People Ready To Trade Interior Space For Better Gas Mileage?

image2908843g.jpg

Complete article: http://news.originalsignal.com/article/354289/will-america-accept-the-micro-car-option.html

(CBS) When it comes to better gas mileage, size matters. The "ForTwo" is the latest "micro-car" to try to fill the need for improved fuel efficiency, reports CBS News correspondent Anthony Mason.

"Americans have never been more ready for this car — right car, right place at the right time," said Dave Schembri of Smart USA.

It saves gas by averaging 40 miles per gallon, almost double fuel efficiency standards. And the sleek compact, set to hit U.S. streets next January, is half the weight of average cars.

That's right. And the 40mpg is hardly better than a much larger Honda Civic. I think that such a small car would have to deliver 60mpg+ to be viable in the market.

Your chances of living in a bad crash is small in those tiny things

If we all do not start driving tiny golf carts with bucket seats, the world will come to an end - per the Al Gore belivers

Attachments

• $At the Arch.jpg
    $At the Arch.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 69
The supreme irony of course is that there are lots of liberals who would love to have compact electric cars, but they aren't available. Why?

Because of our asinine safety laws, which they also championed. You aren't even allowed to do the sensible thing and sign a waiver saying "yeah I know it hasn't gone through the rigorous federal crash tests and doesn't have airbags, gimme one anyway". It takes gazillions of dollars just to run through the test and associated red tape. You could design a car with a padded 12 point roll cage, but it's not legal until you get through all the testing. Tesla motors would already be selling their electric sports car by now, but they're still getting ready for the testing.

So, if you want to get super MPG, your're left with driving a scooter, which is far more dangerous than any electric car, simply because it has 2 wheels. At least an untested toy car won't fall over and leave you with road rash when you hit an oil slick or loose gravel. You're also left exposed to the elements, so you'll show up to work alternately sweaty, freezing, or drenched.

Well actually now that I think of it, you can have a three-wheeled enclosed vehicle and it's considered a motorcycle. Add a fourth wheel and it's suddenly a car, even if everything else is the same. Makes perfect sense.

To review:

The supreme irony of course is that there are lots of liberals who would love to have compact electric cars, but they aren't available. Why?

Because of our asinine safety laws, which they also championed. You aren't even allowed to do the sensible thing and sign a waiver saying "yeah I know it hasn't gone through the rigorous federal crash tests and doesn't have airbags, gimme one anyway". It takes gazillions of dollars just to run through the test and associated red tape. You could design a car with a padded 12 point roll cage, but it's not legal until you get through all the testing. Tesla motors would already be selling their electric sports car by now, but they're still getting ready for the testing.

So, if you want to get super MPG, your're left with driving a scooter, which is far more dangerous than any electric car, simply because it has 2 wheels. At least an untested toy car won't fall over and leave you with road rash when you hit an oil slick or loose gravel. You're also left exposed to the elements, so you'll show up to work alternately sweaty, freezing, or drenched.

Well actually now that I think of it, you can have a three-wheeled enclosed vehicle and it's considered a motorcycle. Add a fourth wheel and it's suddenly a car, even if everything else is the same. Makes perfect sense.

To review:

The answer is more like they suck as a mode of transportation

The answer is more like they suck as a mode of transportation

For most people, yes. For a few people, no. That doesn't explain why the federal government makes them illegal while allowing 3-wheelers and scooters. If someone wants to spend their own money on them, they should be able to drive them.

For most people, yes. For a few people, no. That doesn't explain why the federal government makes them illegal while allowing 3-wheelers and scooters. If someone wants to spend their own money on them, they should be able to drive them.

Not on the freeway if they can't maintain the minimum speed

In some states they can be ticketed for not maintaining a minimum speed

Obviously Wisconsin isn't one of those states.

Painball guns, however, ARE legal, tho I don't think pelting strangers in barely moving vehicles is. If I thought I could get away with a drive-by pelting of paint, I sure as hell would.

Obviously Wisconsin isn't one of those states.

Painball guns, however, ARE legal, tho I don't think pelting strangers in barely moving vehicles is. If I thought I could get away with a drive-by pelting of paint, I sure as hell would.

I have seen minimum speed signs on the PA Turnpike

Not on the freeway if they can't maintain the minimum speed

Of course. They would be fine for 35~45 city/suburban streets, and not freeways (unless maybe they have lithium batterie$ ).

My main point was the eco-liberals inability to buy cars they want, because of safety legislation they themselves supported. Surely you of all people can appreciate the delicious irony, no? :lol:

Forum List

Back