Hobby Lobby may close all of its stores

actually there is much easier way for Hobby Lobby - just cut everybody down to 26 hours - and they would not have to comply with obamacare AT ALL

Again you dont know know god fearing christians like I do. he willl shut it down.

Anyone who "fears" God is not a real "Christian" -- well, unless they're still in third grade and believe in Santa Clause and Lucifer -- adults who "fear" god lack emotional maturity and critical thinking skills... and shop at Hobby Lobby apparently.

But most real Christian know the stories in the bible teach us an ideal, a moral code of compassion and love. The archaic rules and customs of the old testament written 4000 years ago are meant to be taken with a grain a salt and an understanding of historical context.

Glad tou hear a post from a asshat on here. you really dont know do you kid? some people in this life (and I sure as hell is not one of them) take christian beliefs over making more $. glad to see you were raised up good your mommy making you dinner right now must be proud.

Are you hammered?

Imposing your religious beliefs on others, while demanding special treatment under the law, is not religious freedom.

You'd have a point if, in fact, that's what they are doing.

Unfortunately, it is not.

If anything, government lackeys are imposing amoral, unconstitutional, secular restrictions an a private business.

We have a secular government. If you want a theocracy, amend the Constitution.
We don't need to amend it. We already have the First Amendment. Read it some time.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof
Forcing a business owner to violate the tenets of his faith would seem to prohibit free exercise, wouldn't it?

Gee, I wonder what would have happened if this company had been Muslim?

Crickets.

Did you side with Muslim cab drivers when they demanded that they not be required to transport alcoholic beverages in their cabs?

What does that have to do with anything? Nobody should be forced to go against the tenets of their faith against their will.

If you were looking to trap me in that question of yours, you'll have to do better.

So let me get this straight. Hobby Lobby will shutter the business rather than comply with the Affordable Healthcare Act. Because they say the Act violates Biblical teachings. Even though the Bible is SILENT on abortion, these Theology students at Hobby Lobby claim Biblical principles are at stake.

This warp zeal is on exhibition around the world. It's the same logic used by the Taliban.

Did you read the article? Its about freedom from the govt telling us how to live and what to believe.

Its about a company standing behind its principles and beliefs--------something you libtards do not even comprehend. you have become mindless sheep to your messiah the great maobama. you are a pathetic bunch of losers. you make me sick.
I suppose a lot of people said the same thing about social Security back in 1934. But the same folks howling then surely found Social Security a great help in their old age. I'm sure the Conservatives lambasted President Roosevelt as a 'messiah' due to his popularity and policies. But then they found it easier to make ends meet during their dotage and they made Social Security the third rail of American politics.

Are you ready to shout down what could well be a vastly popular and life saving program? Would you still think that insurance companies could deny you coverage? Or provide coverage so expensive (what with the success of Trickle Down economics) that many simply cannot afford it? Splendid choices there!

So let me get this straight. Hobby Lobby will shutter the business rather than comply with the Affordable Healthcare Act. Because they say the Act violates Biblical teachings. Even though the Bible is SILENT on abortion, these Theology students at Hobby Lobby claim Biblical principles are at stake.

This warp zeal is on exhibition around the world. It's the same logic used by the Taliban.

Plan B doesn't cause abortion. At least according to the Christians it doesn't.
Plan B, the nation's most widely used emergency contraceptive, works only as a contraceptive and does not cause abortions, according to an article in the official journal of the Catholic Health Association.

Catholic journal says Plan B does not cause abortions | National Catholic Reporter
This Christian believes it does. He says so right here:

A new government healthcare mandate says that our family business MUST provide what I believe are abortion-causing drugs as part of our health insurance. Being Christians, we don't pay for drugs that might cause abortions, which means that we don't cover emergency contraception, the morning-after pill or the week-after pill. We believe doing so might end a life after the moment of conception, something that is contrary to our most important beliefs.

It goes against the Biblical principles on which we have run this company since day one. /QUOTE] And again I ask, precisely which Biblical principles? Chapter and verse.

Catholic journal says Plan B does not cause abortions | National Catholic Reporter

A new government healthcare mandate says that our family business MUST provide what I believe are abortion-causing drugs as part of our health insurance. Being Christians, we don't pay for drugs that might cause abortions, which means that we don't cover emergency contraception, the morning-after pill or the week-after pill. We believe doing so might end a life after the moment of conception, something that is contrary to our most important beliefs.

It goes against the Biblical principles on which we have run this company since day one.
And again I ask, precisely which Biblical principles? Chapter and verse.

Possession of Personal Attributes

What does the Bible say about abortion?

by Ryan Turner

The Bible does not specifically mention the word abortion, but it has a number of significant things to say about unborn children. These Biblical statements indicate that the unborn are persons. Therefore, abortion is wrong since it is killing a human being. A simplified form of our argument is the following:

Premise #1: It is wrong to murder a person.
Premise #2: The unborn is a person.
Conclusion: Therefore, it is wrong to murder the unborn.

There are few objections to the notion that it is wrong to murder a person. Murder is the unlawful taking of someone’s life, while killing is the lawful taking of someone’s life. For just a small sample of the Biblical passages forbidding murder, see Gen. 9:6; Mt. 15:19; 19:18; Mk. 10:19; Lk. 18:20; Jn. 8:44; Acts 3:14; and Rom. 1:28-29; 13:9.

It is this premise which is disputed by many in our culture today. However, the Bible clearly teaches that the unborn is a person due to the following reasons.

First, the unborn possesses personal attributes such as sin and joy. In Psalm 51:5, David says, “Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, And in sin my mother conceived me.” In Luke 1:44, “For behold, when the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby leaped in my womb for joy.”

Described by Personal Pronouns

Second, the Bible also uses personal pronouns to describe unborn children. Jeremiah 1:5 says, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.” Matthew 1:20-21 states, “But when he had considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, ‘Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.’”

Jesus: A Baby at Conception

Third, regarding the conception of Jesus, Matthew 1:20 says, “But when he had considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, ‘Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.’” The fact that the angel tells Joseph that “the Child who has been conceived” is “of the Holy Spirit” indicates that Jesus certainly was a person at the moment of conception.

Called Children

Fourth, the unborn are called children. Luke 1:41 states, “When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit (1:44).”

Protected by the same Punishment as for Adults

Fifth, perhaps the strongest argument against abortion from Scripture is the fact that the same punishment is applicable to someone who kills or injures an unborn child as for one who kills or injures an adult. Exodus 21:22-23 states, “If men struggle with each other and strike a woman with child so that she gives birth prematurely, yet there is no injury, he shall surely be fined as the woman's husband may demand of him, and he shall pay as the judges decide. But if there is any further injury, then you shall appoint as a penalty life for life . . . .” This strongly indicates that the Mosaic Law viewed the unborn as persons worthy of the same protection and rights as adults.

Called by God before Birth

Sixth, the unborn are even called by God before birth. Almost echoing the prophetic commission of Jeremiah in Jeremiah 1:5, Isaiah 49:1 says, “Listen to me, O islands, And pay attention, you peoples from afar, the LORD called me from the womb; from the body of my mother He named me.”

Known Personally by God just like any other Person

Seventh, the unborn are known personally and intimately by God in the same way He would know any other person. Describing David, Psalm 139:15-16 says, “My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Your book were all written; the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them.” Describing the prophet Jeremiah, Jeremiah 1:5 says, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

Conclusion

The Bible definitely teaches that the unborn are persons because the unborn possess personal attributes, are described by personal pronouns, Jesus is called a child at conception, the unborn are called children, are protected by the same punishment as for adults, are called by God before birth, and are known personally by God just like any other person. Since abortion is murdering a person, abortion is morally wrong (Gen. 9:6; Rom. 1:28-29).

What does the Bible say about abortion? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

Last edited:

by Ryan Turner

The Bible does not specifically mention the word abortion, but it has a number of significant things to say about unborn children. These Biblical statements indicate that the unborn are persons. Therefore, abortion is wrong since it is killing a human being. A simplified form of our argument is the following:

There are few objections to the notion that it is wrong to murder a person. Murder is the unlawful taking of someone’s life, while killing is the lawful taking of someone’s life. For just a small sample of the Biblical passages forbidding murder, see Gen. 9:6; Mt. 15:19; 19:18; Mk. 10:19; Lk. 18:20; Jn. 8:44; Acts 3:14; and Rom. 1:28-29; 13:9.

It is this premise which is disputed by many in our culture today. However, the Bible clearly teaches that the unborn is a person due to the following reasons.

First, the unborn possesses personal attributes such as sin and joy. In Psalm 51:5, David says, “Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, And in sin my mother conceived me.” In Luke 1:44, “For behold, when the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby leaped in my womb for joy.”

Second, the Bible also uses personal pronouns to describe unborn children. Jeremiah 1:5 says, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.” Matthew 1:20-21 states, “But when he had considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, ‘Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.’”

Third, regarding the conception of Jesus, Matthew 1:20 says, “But when he had considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, ‘Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.’” The fact that the angel tells Joseph that “the Child who has been conceived” is “of the Holy Spirit” indicates that Jesus certainly was a person at the moment of conception.

Called Children

Fourth, the unborn are called children. Luke 1:41 states, “When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit (1:44).”

Fifth, perhaps the strongest argument against abortion from Scripture is the fact that the same punishment is applicable to someone who kills or injures an unborn child as for one who kills or injures an adult. Exodus 21:22-23 states, “If men struggle with each other and strike a woman with child so that she gives birth prematurely, yet there is no injury, he shall surely be fined as the woman's husband may demand of him, and he shall pay as the judges decide. But if there is any further injury, then you shall appoint as a penalty life for life . . . .” This strongly indicates that the Mosaic Law viewed the unborn as persons worthy of the same protection and rights as adults.

Sixth, the unborn are even called by God before birth. Almost echoing the prophetic commission of Jeremiah in Jeremiah 1:5, Isaiah 49:1 says, “Listen to me, O islands, And pay attention, you peoples from afar, the LORD called me from the womb; from the body of my mother He named me.”

Seventh, the unborn are known personally and intimately by God in the same way He would know any other person. Describing David, Psalm 139:15-16 says, “My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Your book were all written; the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them.” Describing the prophet Jeremiah, Jeremiah 1:5 says, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.”
Conclusion

The Bible definitely teaches that the unborn are persons because the unborn possess personal attributes, are described by personal pronouns, Jesus is called a child at conception, the unborn are called children, are protected by the same punishment as for adults, are called by God before birth, and are known personally by God just like any other person. Since abortion is murdering a person, abortion is morally wrong (Gen. 9:6; Rom. 1:28-29).

What does the Bible say about abortion? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

BRAVO!! BRAVO!!!

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

"Before I formed thee in the womb, I knew thee".

by Ryan Turner

Called Children

Conclusion

Why then are there so many Christians who believe otherwise? Is it that these particular Christians are asking for something which is anathema to Conservatives? Something Conservatives cite whenever they are 'offended' by the prospect of guaranteed rights? Something the Conservatives call "Special Rights"?

There have been religious groups protesting the acts of the state since Joshua fought the battle of Jericho. Gary Cooper and Howard Hawks couldn't have made Sergeant York without a conflict of what an individual contrives is his right to refuse the law and what the law says. We are a secular nation. Want theocracy? Try Iran.

Last edited:

by Ryan Turner

Called Children

Conclusion

Why then are there so many Christians who believe otherwise? Is it that these particular Christians are asking for something which is anathema to Conservatives? Something Conservatives cite whenever they are 'offended' by the prospect of guaranteed rights? Something the Conservatives call "Special Rights"?

There have been religious groups protesting the acts of the state since Joshua fought the battle of Jericho. Gary Cooper and John Ford couldn't have made Sergeant York without a conflict of what an individual contrives is his right to refuse the law and what the law says. We are a secular nation. Want theocracy? Try Iran.

It would be helpful if I knew where you were going with your argument.

We are not a secular nation. The fact that it accepts many types of religious faiths, and the fact that there is a Christian majority that exists as it is now within the United States should tell you otherwise. Moreover, it should be telling that some of the signers of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence were religious in some form or another. Rights are never guaranteed, and that premise is flawed on it's face. There exists men and women it the upper echelons of our government who care not for your "guaranteed rights" one way or the other. It is why they consistently infringe them on a routine basis.

Even the ancients knew that what was forming in the a woman's womb before it was born was a child. They didn't need flawed science and secular or political dogma to tell them otherwise.

There have been religious groups protesting the acts of the state since Joshua fought the battle of Jericho. Gary Cooper and John Ford couldn't have made Sergeant York without a conflict of what an individual contrives is his right to refuse the law and what the law says. We are a secular nation. Want theocracy? Try Iran.

We are not a secular nation. The fact that it accepts many types of religious faiths, and the fact that there is a Christian majority that exists as it is now within the United States should tell you otherwise. Moreover, it should be telling that some of the signers of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence were religious in some form or another. Rights are never guaranteed, and that premise is flawed on it's face. There exists men and women it the upper echelons of our government who care not for your "guaranteed rights" one way or the other. It is why they consistently infringe them on a routine basis.

Even the ancients knew that what was forming in the a woman's womb before it was born was a child. They didn't need flawed science and secular or political dogma to tell them otherwise.

The basic "flaw" in their argument is that we, as a people, derive our "rights" from man, or government. This leads into their argument that "man" or "government" can take away our "rights" as they see fit.

Our "rights" come from our creator and, as such, can NOT be denied by man.

As much as this new generation of so-called "progressives" (code for communists) seeks to devour our nation and turn it into a secular hell-hole, where the mantra of "if it feels good, do it", they MUST establish and promote the notion that there is NO God, and, in as much as, deny our GOD GIVEN RIGHTS to life and liberty.

The basic "flaw" in their argument is that we, as a people, derive our "rights" from man, or government. This leads into their argument that "man" or "government" can take away our "rights" as they see fit.

As much as this new generation of so-called "progressives" (code for communists) seeks to devour our nation and turn it into a secular hell-hole, where the mantra of "if it feels good, do it", they MUST establish and promote the notion that there is NO God, and, in as much as, deny our GOD GIVEN RIGHTS to life and liberty.

Precisely.

If you are so unintelligent that you fail to see the difference between being forced to buy a product that violates your religious beliefs and one of your employees using money to do something immoral, I can't help you.

Not only that, but an employer may fire an employee who violates the company's moral standards. Obama and his apologists would probably like to stop that practice, too.

That would work if Hobby Lobby wasn't lying about Plan B etc..

The author of the piece is somewhat ignorant about Plan B. It is a contraceptive. However, the 5-day-after pill is an abortifacient. While the 5-day-after pill is not yet mandated, it is probably just a matter of time before it is if no one puts up a fight right here, right now.

Nevertheless, some religious people are opposed to contraceptives, not just abortifacients, and they should not be forced to pay for contraceptives against their religious beliefs.

You are permitting an extremely dangerous precedent by going along with this just because you happen to like this particular mandate at this time. I am not opposed to contraceptives, but I am very, very much opposed to government mandates forcing people to do things they would not otherwise do, particularly those that violate religious beliefs.

It is sickening to see people being okay with this.

For the most part, I believe if a company provides health insurance, they should provide it so it covers the needs of everyone and everything, but I also understand their point of not wanting to cover drugs they consider to be tools for abortion. I'm not really going to take a side here, but what I do find hilarious is that Republicans have tried to repeal the entire ACA 40 times knowing they had zero chance of success, when in that time they could have addressed this issue and voted to change it. Had a change on this matter passed the House, the Senate might actually have gone along with it, and we wouldn't be having this argument to begin with. This is one of those things that many moderates would probably agree with, but hard line Republicans do not want to work to make anything better; they just want to tear down anything and everything associated with Democrats, and this is why they continue to lose the war.

That would work if Hobby Lobby wasn't lying about Plan B etc..

The author of the piece is somewhat ignorant about Plan B. It is a contraceptive. However, the 5-day-after pill is an abortifacient. While the 5-day-after pill is not yet mandated, it is probably just a matter of time before it is if no one puts up a fight right here, right now.

Nevertheless, some religious people are opposed to contraceptives, not just abortifacients, and they should not be forced to pay for contraceptives against their religious beliefs.

You are permitting an extremely dangerous precedent by going along with this just because you happen to like this particular mandate at this time. I am not opposed to contraceptives, but I am very, very much opposed to government mandates forcing people to do things they would not otherwise do, particularly those that violate religious beliefs.

It is sickening to see people being okay with this.

For the most part, I believe if a company provides health insurance, they should provide it so it covers the needs of everyone and everything, but I also understand their point of not wanting to cover drugs they consider to be tools for abortion. I'm not really going to take a side here, but what I do find hilarious is that Republicans have tried to repeal the entire ACA 40 times knowing they had zero chance of success, when in that time they could have addressed this issue and voted to change it. Had a change on this matter passed the House, the Senate might actually have gone along with it, and we wouldn't be having this argument to begin with. This is one of those things that many moderates would probably agree with, but hard line Republicans do not want to work to make anything better; they just want to tear down anything and everything associated with Democrats, and this is why they continue to lose the war.

of course, you are entitled to your opinion, but that's not the way insurance works. The employer buys a particular policy from an underwriter that covers as many employees as possible and with as wide of a range of services as possible (or as little).

If Hobby Lobby (which they do) refuses to have abortion coverage included ( and the other methods of murder, morning after pill, etc) that is THEIR PERROGATIVE as the policy holder. THEY and THEY ALONE are the policy holder.

Any employee who chooses to forgo the coverage is entitled to do that. Now comes the government and, without legal mandate, tells Hobby Lobby they MUST cover abortion coverage under this BS "healthcare law" and Hobby Lobby said no. The courts have thus far upheld Hobby Lobby's decision.

This is the United States of America. The land where our freedoms are being stolen from us, one at a time.

Yet another example of progressives attempting to shove their own morality (or lack thereof) down everybody's throat. It's really a mystery why people cannot see how grossly immoral it is to use government to force someone to be a party to something which is specifically against their deeply held moral convictions. These same people are the ones that decry Christians and prattle on about theocracy, when they are doing exactly the thing that they criticize Christians for (i.e. foisting their own values on others using the force of government).

Personally I can't think of any time that Christians (or any other religious group) have attempted to foist their religious values upon me, However government worshiping progressives DO IT ALL THE TIME and the ACA mandate in this case is just another example. This is a product of the dual morality of the state worshipers to whit; if the state does XYZ then it automagically becomes moral, whether it be murder, theft, arson, rape or directly forcing an individual(s) to violate their morality. This is the same dual morality that has led to the participation of citizens in all manner of egregious atrocities on the orders of the state.

I'm glad the proprietors of Hobby Lobby are standing up for their liberty and standing by their principles, we need more of that in this country.

Hobby Lobby is taking the same stance the Bishops are. The catholic church was given another year to comply which I believe expires end of the month. Obama did a bait and switch on the church relative to ACA.

This law is Unconstitutional and Adolf Obama is destroying everything America ever stood for

-Geaux

Our society here in the Western world of 2013 is a secular society. God's laws are not adjudicated in our courts, unlike Sharia law in the Middle East. Individual interpretations of Scripture do not provide cover for breaking national laws. We are not a Christian theocracy.

It seems Conservatives are more than willing to protect what they see as 'rights' through a political/religious filter, much like the Taliban. Is it also 'religious' if you refuse to pay taxes to support a war machine in the Pentagon? Where are the Conservatives who conveniently hide behind a perceived pulpit when other religious 'rights' are questioned?

Back in the day they was quite sucessfull, but Hobby Lobby and Michaels I believe have been going down hill since people buys from ebay now...thats my guess.

Forum List

Back