HNN Poll: 61% of Historians Rate the Bush Presidency Worst

asking for an opinion in the present is just silly snapshot in time, I have no doubt that bush would be high on the list.

however, Truman for instance had horrid ratings 22% a year before he left office and in the 30's when he did leave I believe. yet, he ranks very high on the list today.

I would hope that historians, at least responsible ones would add this to their opinions as a proviso in that time can rehabilitate even the worst opinions from the snapshot of the present.

You are correct, it is too soon; 20-30 years minimum to rate. I think he was THE worst of my lifetime, thus far, Obama obviously better, but, as I term it "better than Bush isn't good enough". Carter remains lower middle of the pack with historians; Buchanan, Pierce, Harding, and Fillmore always near the bottom. Good point about Truman, Eisenhower has fluctuated over the decades also; some loathe FDR, but historians rank him near the top. I thought Reagan was horrid, over time, much better. He was able to communicate, and inspire many Americans, the fact I wasn't one of them isn't relevant.

Why ruin a thread about Presidents? Its interesting; was Harding crooked or just too busy playing poker to notice?

Why ruin a thread about Presidents? Its interesting; was Harding crooked or just too busy playing poker to notice?

Venial and surrounded by corrupt men, and was just too lazy to be a president at all.

He is the President who used the term "The Founders" as we understand it today.

Some are confusing the polls, those of historians may be different than public opinion polls. Truman was pretty much disliked by the public at the end of his presidency, and he was rated low in the public opinion polls, but historians rated him much higher.

The new material requirement is yours now that we know American interment camps were nothing like Nazi concentration camps, and those who say differently, disgrace the Greatest Generation of Americans.

I haven't read through the whole thread, but the OP has a stupid premise. You can't objectively judge someone's time in office so soon as it's ended. It takes at least a generation for things to have simmered down enough to take an objective look.

Fakey wants to be an FDR nuthugger so badly he insists on changing the English language. Was it really so upsetting to you when I taught you what the term 'concentration camp' means? If you hadn't been so ignorant in the first place you wouldn't have ended up embarrassed. Your little ego still hasn't gotten over it.

Pay attention one more time, moron: FDR threw over 100,000 innocent, brave, loyal AMERICAN CITIZENS into concentration camps. That's what they were, that's what FDR himself called them. You don't like the term? Too fucking bad. The scumbag shouldn't have committed such an outrage, then generations later idiots like you wouldn't have to be so shocked by the reality of it. The Nazis also utilized concentration camps, though certainly in a significantly different manner and to a different end. However, the FACT remains that a concentration camp is a concentration camp. I am not equating the two other than to the extent that they WERE both concentration camps, so don't bother lying or building straw men again.

If it helps a numbskull like you understand, consider that the US military used tanks and the Nazis used tanks. They used them for different ends in the larger ideological sense, but they were still both 'tanks.' The word doesn't change. See how that works, dope? Or consider that there were ovens in FDR's concentration camps and there were ovens in Hitler's concentration camps. In the US the ovens were used to prepare food for US citizens unjustly imprisoned. In the Nazi concentration camps ovens were used to kill Jews unjustly imprisoned. A very big difference, but both were 'ovens.' You are scared of words because you don't understand much. Once you learn some more English you can focus on ideas instead.

Perhaps some corporations should put some money in the kitty for history scholarships. With the scholarships they could send some conservatives to school to get their doctorate in history. After some years and lots of history these conservative historians might become noted historians, and be invited to participate in one of the polls rating presidents.
The problem is that in their history studies they might become liberals. Is that what happens to people as they study our past, they become liberal, or do only liberals become historians?

Fakey wants to be an FDR nuthugger so badly he insists on changing the English language. Was it really so upsetting to you when I taught you what the term 'concentration camp' means? If you hadn't been so ignorant in the first place you wouldn't have ended up embarrassed. Your little ego still hasn't gotten over it.

Pay attention one more time, moron: FDR threw over 100,000 innocent, brave, loyal AMERICAN CITIZENS into concentration camps. That's what they were, that's what FDR himself called them. You don't like the term? Too fucking bad. The scumbag shouldn't have committed such an outrage, then generations later idiots like you wouldn't have to be so shocked by the reality of it. The Nazis also utilized concentration camps, though certainly in a significantly different manner and to a different end. However, the FACT remains that a concentration camp is a concentration camp. I am not equating the two other than to the extent that they WERE both concentration camps, so don't bother lying or building straw men again.

If it helps a numbskull like you understand, consider that the US military used tanks and the Nazis used tanks. They used them for different ends in the larger ideological sense, but they were still both 'tanks.' The word doesn't change. See how that works, dope? Or consider that there were ovens in FDR's concentration camps and there were ovens in Hitler's concentration camps. In the US the ovens were used to prepare food for US citizens unjustly imprisoned. In the Nazi concentration camps ovens were used to kill Jews unjustly imprisoned. A very big difference, but both were 'ovens.' You are scared of words because you don't understand much. Once you learn some more English you can focus on ideas instead.

It's easy to use the hindsight of history to condemn the internment of loyal American citizens. I mean, what could they have been thinking? It was so obviously wrong.

But what was 1942 America like? What was the world like in 1942? We had just been attacked and had our mighty Navy decimated. The Japs were the most vile, evil race on the face of the earth. 1942 America was a racist America. You were defined by your race. In 1942, no Jap could be trusted. Some Germans and Italians were also interred, but only on evidence of disloyalty. Japs were interred because they didn't look like real Americans

Was FDR wrong? Of course he was. But no Republicans protested the unfair treatment of Japanese. Our Supreme Court, who is supposed to stand up for he rights of the individual, looked the other way. It was 1942 America

Except for the FACT that they were concentration camps. You fail again, Fakey.

Certainly not in the sense that you imply.

I didn't "imply" anything, you idiot. I was very clear, as the post you are trying to ignore demonstrates. You fail again, Fakey.

Now you are lying. When you use words like 'dictator', FDR, internment camp, concentration camp, and Nazi all together, you cross the line, and you get your butt rhetorically kicked.

Every time.

Yes, technically "concentration camp" isn't the same thing as "death camp", but it:
1. Has certain acquired that connotation in modern English.
2. You're trying to evoke that connotation when you use it surrounded by words like "dictator" and "Nazi".

Let me know what part of this isn't clear enough for you, Fakey:

If your little ego is still hurt because your deficiency in both history and the English language was revealed, that's too fucking bad for you.

Forum List

Back