Historic Notre-Dame cathedral on fire

You know, the firefighters were surprised to see how much had survived. One of the more surprising finds was that the organ was pretty much still whole, just a bit of smoke damage.

And, the fire fighters said that if there had been an air drop of water on the building, it would have collapsed the whole structure. There were people inside pulling stuff out and trying to put out the flames. If water had been air dropped, the church would have been damage even worse than it was.

Still think Trump was smart to suggest air dropping water to put out the fire?
I think he was trying to help and as always you bitches take an opportunity to slam him.

Trying to help by throwing out stupid suggestions isn't help at all.

You know, the firefighters were surprised to see how much had survived. One of the more surprising finds was that the organ was pretty much still whole, just a bit of smoke damage.

And, the fire fighters said that if there had been an air drop of water on the building, it would have collapsed the whole structure. There were people inside pulling stuff out and trying to put out the flames. If water had been air dropped, the church would have been damage even worse than it was.

Still think Trump was smart to suggest air dropping water to put out the fire?
I think he was trying to help and as always you bitches take an opportunity to slam him.

Trying to help by throwing out stupid suggestions isn't help at all.
Just any old reason to bash him jerk!

ON NOTRE DAME- FROM MAXIME LEPANTE A FRIEND IN PARIS
Posted By Ruth King on April 16th, 2019

Notre-Dame was one of the most important jewels of all human history. It started the “gothic” architecture revolution, that was, from 12th to 15th century called “francigenum opus” (“French art”) before being called “gothic” by the Italians. It’s the epitome of Western civilization and Christian art. The framing of the roof, which was one of the biggest masterpieces of human carpentry, is permanently destroyed. The stained glasses (biggest and most ancient rose windows in Europe) are probably saved.
In 2016, 2 veiled Muslim women tried to detonate a car filled with explosives in front of Notre-Dame (Notre-Dame de Paris bombing attempt - Wikipedia).
At the beginning of March, an illegal Muslim immigrant tried to burn down the Saint-Sulpice church (http://www.leparisien.fr/paris-75/p...n-etait-pas-accidentel-18-03-2019-8034678.php).
At mid-March, an illegal Muslim immigrant tried to burn down the organ of the Saint-Denis basilica (another jewel) and destroyed stained glass (http://www.leparisien.fr/paris-75/p...n-etait-pas-accidentel-18-03-2019-8034678.php).
On Twitter, thousands of Muslims are rejoycing and saying that they are happy that Notre-Dame was destroyed ! (Des réactions de joie suite à l'incendie de Notre-Dame (MàJ) - Fdesouche)
And when our churches, our cathedrals, our cemetaries, our monuments, are destroyed by Muslim immigrants, Macron uses our policemen to protect… the mosques !!! (La surveillance des lieux de culte renforcée en France après l'attaque terroriste en Nouvelle-Zélande)

http://www.ruthfullyyours.com/2019/04/16/on-notre-dame-from-maxime-lepante-a-friend-in-paris/
Your post is basically garbage propaganda and the kind of innuendo that right wing propaganda uses to get people the wrong impression, in this case that Notre Dame was fired by Muslims.

The lack of damage at Notre Dame is basically a miracle. All they lost really was the roof, not even much of the ceiling. I suggest that use metal this time to hold up the roof.... Vive la France!

They're gonna more than likely have to use metal. Seems that there are no longer any trees big enough in France to rebuild it like it was.
Makes no sense to use wood just because they didn’t have steel 700 years ago

We've had steel since antiquity, RW. They just customarily didn't use it for construction when Notre Dame was initially built.

Thank Andrew Carnegie

Whether or not Notre Dame's fire was an accident, there is an awful lot of Church destruction going on in Europe right now

875 churches to be more exact.....

GsjIof0.jpg

Notre-Dame Cathedral Fire Not Arson But 875 French Churches Vandalized In 2018

Whether or not Notre Dame's fire was an accident, there is an awful lot of Church destruction going on in Europe right now

GsjIof0.jpg

in the United States we had three black churches burned down, feces and graffiti is something different we had thousands of those. Thanks right-wingers and Nazis.

Notre Dame is the most beautiful Gothic cathedral in the world and the first amazingly... And considering the way the fire looked, it was very lucky miraculous one might say. Most beautiful light thin flying buttresses ever. I'm surprised they didn't force the walls in once the weight of the roof was gone....

Your post is basically garbage propaganda and the kind of innuendo that right wing propaganda uses to get people the wrong impression, in this case that Notre Dame was fired by Muslims.

The lack of damage at Notre Dame is basically a miracle. All they lost really was the roof, not even much of the ceiling. I suggest that use metal this time to hold up the roof.... Vive la France!

They're gonna more than likely have to use metal. Seems that there are no longer any trees big enough in France to rebuild it like it was.
Makes no sense to use wood just because they didn’t have steel 700 years ago

We've had steel since antiquity, RW. They just customarily didn't use it for construction when Notre Dame was initially built.

Thank Andrew Carnegie

Bigger thanks really go to Carnegie's partner, Henry Clay Frick. Frick's willingness to speak Truth to Power and his defeat of Big Labor in Homestead allowed structural steel to be produced at a price where it became preferable to masonry construction.

Getting rid of Big Labor allowed new innovations to manufacture steel in the quantities needed for construction.

GsjIof0.jpg

in the United States we had three black churches burned down, feces and graffiti is something different we had thousands of those. Thanks right-wingers and Nazis.

Notre Dame is the most beautiful Gothic cathedral in the world and the first amazingly... And considering the way the fire looked, it was very lucky miraculous one might say. Most beautiful light thin flying buttresses ever. I'm surprised they didn't force the walls in once the weight of the roof was gone....

For some impressive Gothic, the German cathedrals are worth a visit. In particular, Cologne, which suffered considerable bomb damage during WW2.

Regarding restoration.

HASN’T NOTRE DAME SUFFERED ENOUGH?

France is to invite architects from around the world to submit their designs for a new spire to sit atop a renovated Notre-Dame cathedral.

Prime Minister Edouard Philippe told reporters they hoped for “a new spire that is adapted to the techniques and the challenges of our era”.

The heart sinks. Can you imagine the modernist monstrosity which will rise on the Île de la Cité? Some funky architect with PR skills and no sense of space, history or respect will probably put a rocket ship up there. The French won’t mind. For all their bluster this week about the loss, they’re modernist vandals at heart. Any bunch who can defile the glorious Louvre Palace courtyard with a glass pyramid is capable of anything. A sensible people would restore the Gothic grace and architecture. But we’re not talking sensible people here. These are politicians and bureaucrats. They’re the most dangerous people. They want to be known for something.

Posted in ATW

GsjIof0.jpg

For some impressive Gothic, the German cathedrals are worth a visit. In particular, Cologne, which suffered considerable bomb damage during WW2.

Regarding restoration.

France is to invite architects from around the world to submit their designs for a new spire to sit atop a renovated Notre-Dame cathedral.

Prime Minister Edouard Philippe told reporters they hoped for “a new spire that is adapted to the techniques and the challenges of our era”.

The heart sinks. Can you imagine the modernist monstrosity which will rise on the Île de la Cité? Some funky architect with PR skills and no sense of space, history or respect will probably put a rocket ship up there. The French won’t mind. For all their bluster this week about the loss, they’re modernist vandals at heart. Any bunch who can defile the glorious Louvre Palace courtyard with a glass pyramid is capable of anything. A sensible people would restore the Gothic grace and architecture. But we’re not talking sensible people here. These are politicians and bureaucrats. They’re the most dangerous people. They want to be known for something.

Posted in ATW
Cologne is amazing but I believe was built over the course of 700 years lol. Those spires are amazing if you stand as close as you can and look up at them, they appear to be columns that reach infinity LOL. I don't mind the glass pyramid so much, they needed it or something to organize all the tourists...I think they should use metal to rebuild the roof and perhaps the spire, which may have been a bit of a nineteenth-century overreach.... But there will certainly be enough people watching what they do LOL...

GsjIof0.jpg

Regarding restoration.

Posted in ATW
Cologne is amazing but I believe was built over the course of 700 years lol. Those spires are amazing if you stand as close as you can and look up at them, they appear to be columns that reach infinity LOL. I don't mind the glass pyramid so much, they needed it or something to organize all the tourists...I think they should use metal to rebuild the roof and perhaps the spire, which may have been a bit of a nineteenth-century overreach.... But there will certainly be enough people watching what they do LOL...

The roof of the Cologne Cathedral is made of IRON. In 1860 the masterbuilder threw traditional wood out the window, and made the Cathedral roof the 2nd largest Iron Structure in the world. It's pretty safe from fire.

GsjIof0.jpg

Regarding restoration.

Posted in ATW

The roof of the Cologne Cathedral is made of IRON. In 1860 the masterbuilder threw traditional wood out the window, and made the Cathedral roof the 2nd largest Iron Structure in the world. It's pretty safe from fire.

The Cologne Cathedral should be fortunate that it had the iron roof. The traditional wood might not have let the building survive WWII when it took several attacks

To the left is the railroad station... We walked over to the cathedral and looked up and then joined carnival. I only remember they had schnapps to go with the beer, and the wonderful bumper cars that you could stay in forever if you bought enough chips to stick in the coin slot on the car. I had schnapps on the rocks with my beer for years after, then anisette and sambuca, and Anis dulce in Fuengirola...

To the left is the railroad station... We walked over to the cathedral and looked up and then joined carnival. I only remember they had schnapps to go with the beer, and the wonderful bumper cars that you could stay in forever if you bought enough chips to stick in the coin slot on the car. I had schnapps on the rocks with my beer for years after, then anisette and sambuca, and Anis dulce in Fuengirola...

I've been to Fuengirola. You're walking in my footsteps.

Perhaps my favorite place to smoke pot or hashish is across the river from Notre Dame, between bouquiniste or bookseller stalls, between bouts at Polly Magoo's on rue saint Jacques or the cafes at the bottom of boulevard Saint-Michel.... Those flying buttresses are what get me. And it still looks just as good, the roof was not the attraction....

Award to first loony liberal who blames disastrous Notre Dame fire on Trump.

WHO IS BLAMING TRUMP? He is a POS...but no arsonist...
He's an internationally renown fire fighting expert.
View attachment 256026
Why would you find any suggestion offensive? Oh, wait, President Trump made that suggestion so it must be condemned.
Offensive? No.

Stupid? Yes. They even put out a statement later that using aircraft to put out the fire could do a lot more damage to the cathedral.

I was first there in 1964. My wonderful crazy aunt Margot built bar Casa Blanca and was partners with Lew hoad the tennis player on his tennis club. My father the doctor got involved when they ran out of money lol. Unfortunately she was killed in a car crash in 1971. I wanted that bar and in 1976 her boyfriend promised he would die within a year and had three letters from doctors backing him up. He lasted 15 more years and by that time the EU had ruined me. I was there for a year trying to find an EU citizen to marry but ended up selling it... when she built it it was the tallest building in town basically. The population was 1500 and it was basically a fishing village LOL. by the time I got back it was 50,000 and had 1000 bars.

I was first there in 1964. My wonderful crazy aunt Margot built bar Casa Blanca and was partners with Lew hoad the tennis player on his tennis club. My father the doctor got involved when they ran out of money lol. Unfortunately she was killed in a car crash in 1971. I wanted that bar and in 1976 her boyfriend promised he would die within a year and had three letters from doctors backing him up. He lasted 15 more years and by that time the EU had ruined me. I was there for a year trying to find an EU citizen to marry but ended up selling it... when she built it it was the tallest building in town basically. The population was 1500 and it was basically a fishing village LOL. by the time I got back it was 50,000 and had 1000 bars.

Nice harbour, and a lot of crooks selling timeshares.

I did manage a day trip to the Alhambra, and a visit to Tangiers by ferry.

Award to first loony liberal who blames disastrous Notre Dame fire on Trump.

WHO IS BLAMING TRUMP? He is a POS...but no arsonist...
He's an internationally renown fire fighting expert.
View attachment 256026
Why would you find any suggestion offensive? Oh, wait, President Trump made that suggestion so it must be condemned.
Offensive? No.

Stupid? Yes. They even put out a statement later that using aircraft to put out the fire could do a lot more damage to the cathedral.
Add that was the only statement they put out in English. Got to love the Big Orange boob LOL...

Nice harbour, and a lot of crooks selling timeshares.

I did manage a day trip to the Alhambra, and a visit to Tangiers by ferry.
Me too back in the 60s... We stayed at the old Alhambra Please Hotel. There was some really dumb Americans there who thought it was the palace itself LOL. One guy was trying to send a telegram back home toto te people how great the palace was lol. His name was Don so that really confused people LOL... At any rate it is a lot less scary than it used to be under generalissimo Francisco Franco. If you had an accident with a pedestrian you were gone, and there were cops every three hundred yards with submachine machine guns. I got two tickets 4 silly traffic mistakes and both times I just paid the cops. And we were a lot better off than the Spanish! 6 years and a day in prison for a marijuana seed.... Sort of like Texas.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back