Hey, Mitt; ya missed a spot.

it's hard to create jobs when the economy is running at full employment.

unemployment in mass was 5.6% when he took office in jan 2003 and was 4.7% when he left office in jan 2007.

Well, let's compare that to the national numbers.

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

When Romney took office, the national Unemployment rate was 5.8%. Which was actually considered pretty bad at the time. (IT would cap out at 6.3% in June.) When he left office in January 2007, the national rate was down to 4.6%.

So essentially, he got something that was a touch better than the national average and left with something a touch worse than the national average. In short, the guy was about average.

Keep in mind, this is a guy who is a business genius... And his performance was about the spread.

keep in mind who he has to deal with, unlike barry, romney didn't have friendly chambers.....

"He came into office facing a nearly $3 billion budget gap. Even Democrats conceded that this was the worst fiscal crisis since the Depression. Instead of raising taxes or borrowing more money, Romney cut spending and closed the budget gap. As one commentator said, he "didn't just go after the sacred cows, he went after the whole herd." In his first year, government spending declined from $22.8 billion in Fiscal 2002 to $22.4 billion in Fiscal 2003. This was a tremendous success that Romney would continue to match throughout his four years as head of the Commonwealth.

Anyone who claims that Romney did not cut taxes in Massachusetts is simply mistaken. He cut capital gains taxes, benefiting well over 150,000 residents. Thousands more are currently benefiting from new jobs in the biotech field because of Romney's manufacturing tax relief and because he made the investment tax credit permanent. Thousands of Massachusetts families saved their hard-earned dollars when Romney enacted sales tax holidays. Seniors are benefiting from property tax relief proposed and signed into law by Romney. Our honorable veterans and National Guard members have several new tax breaks because of Romney's belief that they should be taxed less. Commuters can now deduct expenses for travel because Romney believes they shouldn't be penalized for helping increase commerce."

Massachusetts - Prominent leaders and people across the spectrum weigh in on Gov. Romney

When Romney took office, the national Unemployment rate was 5.8%. Which was actually considered pretty bad at the time. (IT would cap out at 6.3% in June.) When he left office in January 2007, the national rate was down to 4.6%.

So essentially, he got something that was a touch better than the national average and left with something a touch worse than the national average. In short, the guy was about average.

Keep in mind, this is a guy who is a business genius... And his performance was about the spread.

keep in mind who he has to deal with, unlike barry, romney didn't have friendly chambers.....

Except that despite his protestations that he was a "severely conservative" Governor, he was actually pretty liberal at the time. So, um, no, that argument really doesn't fly.

The argument made for Romney is that he's a guy who can turn the unemployment picture around, but the fact is, he did no better than the national average and his job creation record was 47th in the nation. (Only Michigan, Ohio and Katrina ravaged Louisiana were worse.)

And that's kind of the problem. Let's go ahead and concede for the moment that he was a good businessman. (For his investors, anyway; I think I'd want to slit my wrists if he were signing my paycheck.) In business, anyone who disagrees with you consistantly will be encouraged to find work elsewhere in very short order. In politics, people are challenging you all the time. If your argument is that Romney was a crappy governor because he had oppossition, man, he's going to be in real trouble when he gets to Washington.

Even guys who did well at the state level (Bush-43, Clinton) found themselves in a world of hurt in DC, where they don't play by Marquis de Queensbury Rules.

"He came into office facing a nearly $3 billion budget gap. Even Democrats conceded that this was the worst fiscal crisis since the Depression. Instead of raising taxes or borrowing more money, Romney cut spending and closed the budget gap. As one commentator said, he "didn't just go after the sacred cows, he went after the whole herd." In his first year, government spending declined from $22.8 billion in Fiscal 2002 to $22.4 billion in Fiscal 2003. This was a tremendous success that Romney would continue to match throughout his four years as head of the Commonwealth.

Anyone who claims that Romney did not cut taxes in Massachusetts is simply mistaken. He cut capital gains taxes, benefiting well over 150,000 residents. Thousands more are currently benefiting from new jobs in the biotech field because of Romney's manufacturing tax relief and because he made the investment tax credit permanent. Thousands of Massachusetts families saved their hard-earned dollars when Romney enacted sales tax holidays. Seniors are benefiting from property tax relief proposed and signed into law by Romney. Our honorable veterans and National Guard members have several new tax breaks because of Romney's belief that they should be taxed less. Commuters can now deduct expenses for travel because Romney believes they shouldn't be penalized for helping increase commerce."

Massachusetts - Prominent leaders and people across the spectrum weigh in on Gov. Romney

As I said.

No one on the left wants to hear that Romney did anything good in very liberal MA.

Save your breath my friend. They ain't buying it. LOL

As I said.

No one on the left wants to hear that Romney did anything good in very liberal MA.

Save your breath my friend. They ain't buying it. LOL

I go by what the people of Massachusetts said.

They didn't give Romney a second term. In fact, Romney was polling so badly against potential Democratic challengers that he didn't even try to run.

In fact, nobody expects Romney to win Massachusetts in November. Since no president has won teh presidency without carrying his home state since 1844, that makes it kind of unlikely he'll win.

If the people who know him best won't vote for him, what does that say?

Obama will definitely win IL again.

Like your entire Massachusetts Governor bit.

Paul Begala:What's Mitt Romney Hiding in His Record as Governor - The Daily Beast

It’s weird. Most governors who seek the presidency can’t shut up about how great their states are. Right now, there’s an even-money chance that Bill Clinton is telling someone that Hope, Ark., produces the biggest, juiciest watermelons in the world. But not Mitt. In the most important speech of his presidential campaign thus far, he ignored the only time he has ever held public office.

That is a mistake. Romney should be defining his record in Massachusetts before his opponents can define it for him. Two days before Romney’s kickoff speech, appearing on NBC’s Meet the Press, Obama strategist David Axelrod began carpet-bombing the Massachusetts record, noting that Romney is touting his business acumen, but also that he did the same when he ran for governor. “He said, ‘I’m going to get the economy moving again. I’m a businessman. I know how to create jobs.’ [The state] went from 37th in the nation in job creation to 47th in the nation in job creation. So we’ve tested the Romney acumen when it comes to creating jobs, and he’s been found wanting.”

Perhaps that’s why Romney doesn’t dwell on his record as governor. His state really was 47th in job creation, behind only Ohio and Michigan, both of which were being ravaged in the manufacturing meltdown, and Louisiana, which had been devastated by Katrina. Romney even trailed Mississippi and Alabama in job growth, breaking the iron law that Mississippi and Alabama have to be last in pretty much everything except cockfights and kissin’ cousins. While the country as a whole enjoyed 5 percent growth, Romney’s Massachusetts grew at 0.9 percent.

So - tell me again. Why should we believe he can do well by 50 states, when he set the one he had back 10 spots?

Romneycare crushed MA.

why would you want to push that on all 50?

Forum List

Back